• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions on aki acess sled

P
Dec 15, 2018
I've been shopping and posting on here all over the place so I might as well here too. We've been hiking in for years and getting old sucks. We decided this year to try snowmobiles and so here iam. What's some opinions on good reliable machines to get back there and camp then hike? We wont be doing back flips or crazy stuff. I'd rather not have a super high horse power deal that I might lose control of. Just thought I'd ask the guys doing what we want to do. Thanks charlie

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Your budget and terrain you are trying to access can help guide this discussion. Generically any 2012+ mountain sled 155+ should work for most sled access scenarios. My crew has been doing sled access for the past 15 or so years, we've ridden most brands and models of mountain sleds (even Yamahas!). Everyone but one in our crew now rides Ski-Doo Gen4 Summits 165s. I think they are superior platform for doubling up and breaking trail into zones. They sit on top of the snow really well here in the PNW where it's consistently wet and heavy pow. The tunnels are a lot stronger to take the load of snowboard/ski gear and they got the power that even though you don't think you want, you're gonna need it if you want to access bigger lines. Not to mention they are fun as hell to ride.

For learning, I think Polaris RMK Pro's are way friendlier to learn to sled on. Summits take a bit more sled skill IMO and dialing in throttle/brake control. Polaris RMK's are buck wild on a double though and tend to rodeo out of trenches breaking into zones. But they are pretty easy to get unstuck when you get the technique.

If you have a few models you are thinking about I could give more feedback.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Thanks man. Well were in Montana and we've been all over the state. Typically 5-10 mile road/trail approach then whatever a guys willing to do as far as a climb lol. Unfortunately alot of my experience is in areas closed to snowmobiles so we have to go where they are allowed but there are many place so.. there are dozens of 800 snowmobiles with long tracks available used here. I have enough money for new but why not save some if I can. I looked at a utility sled today just to see one. It was nice and affordable but i understand it has lots of limitations. But if it where just roads might be ok. I wont lie iam a bit intimidated by 800s and have been looking for a 600 but haven't had luck finding one new or used. Were in our 50's so nothing to hardcorn will be done but getting super stuck sounds like a drag so I dunno? I found this artic cat norseman 6000x with one mile (we live amongst the wealthy) for 8k. I found a 2020 tundra with 52 miles with a trailer for 8k. Iam looking at a artic cat m6000 141 over the break for 5800. It has 1400 miles. Bad thing is I gotta buy two. One for me and one for my wife and that's been even more confusing. Was thinking of getting her a artic cast blast. They have one here for 8.5 ?Two or three times a winter we ski in with packs and a Polk sled and just camp out too. So I thought this would be really easy with a snowmobile. We ski with two others who are looking for themselves. So yeah...kinda a **** show. I was ready to just buy new and was really surprised that the dealers had no stock at all. So...yeah nothing crazy. Long road/trail approach able to drag a sled sometimes. reliability is important because were old and dont wanna wrench all the time for fun . Iam a former mechanic (harley) so I can learn to do a snowmobile I think pretty easy. I just dont wanna project lol. So way I see it I need four lol! Thanks really could use advice. Were a half hour to world class snowmobiling in two directions (Cooke city and west Yellowstone )and a half hour away from trails and forest service roads gallatin canyon and the bridgers. Never mind the crazies and up north . So yeah kinds endless . I'd love to have my cake and eat it too but realize now snowmobiles are pretty job specific. So...what do you think?

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
My crew has a couple 50 year olds in it! They are biggest rippers on the sleds! ;)

Mistake you could make is underestimating what you might need in the future. I thought I'd bang out forest roads and I'd be stoked but as I really got into it, I found that the road lines are generally pretty weak, at least here in WA. I know Montana is big country, never been to Cookie but I hear it's awesome and I bet there's big climbs to get into the bowls that will be best for access. I think you'd be better looking for a long track sled so once you guys get some skills you can start accessing those bigger lines. Short track trail sleds really only work if you don't get a lot of fresh snow and are on the groomed. The best lines are always in the deep pow and probably take some billigoating or singletrack to get to the goods.

ryang85

Premium Member
Nov 7, 2020
Oregon/Norcal
This is my first year using sleds for backcountry snowboarding. Originally we didn't plan on much sledding but it became just as much fun, if not more fun than the board when conditions are right. My buddies all ski, they aren't into the sleds as much as I am since they're sleds are all way underpowered and not clutched great.
But as mentioned I recommend you buy something with some power and capability. I bought a 2005 king cat for 1500 bucks and have put about 1000 bucks into mods to improve handling. It climbs just as well as many modern 800cc sleds but is super heavy and takes a lot of work to sidehill and stay on edge. But its a great tandem sled since it has a 162 inch track and a 900cc motor. My buddy bought a zr600 for 500 bucks and that sled gets around great on the trails and flats great but cant climb that well with one person, let alone two. So I recommend buying something with power. Newer sleds are going to handle far better and are so much lighter but the older power sleds still hang in there for climbing straight up hills. Try to find a 160+ inch track, as mentioned you defiantly don't want a short track, you might be able to get away with a 155 on a strong motor but the bigger the better for hauling your buddies up a steel hill. I love my king cat, but next year I'm buying a newer Polaris or skidoo once I graduate college.

I'm in Oregon so we are even worse off on forest roads than Washington. We have a few spots we are learning but most of our best lines have been on the hills off the side of the roads. Find something that looks steep and deep plan on getting real stuck, the throttle will get you in and out of most trenches so don't be afraid to use it.

Last edited:
Premium Features