• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

OK fellas,,,,Lets have some input on the ski hill in Revy.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I was in Revelstoke sledding for the weekend and the new ski hill had its opening. I have never been run off the road or trampled by more people in Revelstoke ever. Do you think this is a good thing for the town or not? The cheap snowmobiling in Revelstoke is gone as far as im concerned. I hope the local businesses that have catered to sledders for years, continue to do so. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Sherwood Park
I was in Revelstoke sledding for the weekend and the new ski hill had its opening. I have never been run off the road or trampled by more people in Revelstoke ever. Do you think this is a good thing for the town or not? The cheap snowmobiling in Revelstoke is gone as far as im concerned. I hope the local businesses that have catered to sledders for years, continue to do so. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

I have been going there for ten years now and I don't think the business's are going to forget who came first. With that being said I do not think it will be the same and we will see changes around town but what are you going to do. Just my opinion....

R
Nov 26, 2007
COSTCO
skiers are cheep and dont spend near the cash sledders do , its a new thing to the town, so every ones really exitced about it and comming to be the first to check it out . The new will wear off in a few years , look at golden :D

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
We were there on friday and Sat, alot of pretty ignorant people driving around town looking lost and waiting for coffee at timmy's. I hope it stays as friendly as its been in the past for us and not turn into a golden. And if i wanted to see alot of people who drive and park with no common sense i would stay in calgary on the weekends.

N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
We were there on friday and Sat, alot of pretty ignorant people driving around town looking lost and waiting for coffee at timmy's. I hope it stays as friendly as its been in the past for us and not turn into a golden. And if i wanted to see alot of people who drive and park with no common sense i would stay in calgary on the weekends.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. The local businesses will probably not forget the sledders, but IMO, we will see it become harder to get a place to stay, park, eat, etc. Lots of Alberta urban yuppies with their SUV's and over-inflated sense of self-entitlement taking up 3 parking spots at the Safeway will have an effect though..... I can say that becuz I'm an Albertan...but I don't drive an SUV. :)

T
Nov 26, 2007
Golden BC
i hear that even here in Golden, that they're pushing hard to get more closures there(revy)!!!! one of the local businessmen here is one of the main voices in it all!!!! i have heard Frisbee is the first they're looking at because the skiiers can hear the sleds ............. good luck over there. our hills aren't anywhere near theirs here, so hopefully it doesn't come to that!:confused:

T:beer;

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
We were staying at the Comfort inn and i overheard some skier complaing to the lady at the front desk about his rates were different then the sledders rate and he was trying to book a couple rooms during Yamafest and she basically was telling him he was out of luck because the sledders were the bread and butter and they had to stick behind the sledders. It was awesome!!!

F
Dec 6, 2007
Chestermere Ab.
WELL way back in 82 when we started to go to Revy. it was a excursion to get there from Calgary and the locals thought we were F@*+ nuts to drive that far,but it was fun and I met a lot of great people that are friends to this day. There was only the Sandman Inn opned during the winter as it was the bus stop, boy have things changed!Unfortunatley Revy will be changing AGAIN and for the worse I hate to say.Yes the buisness owners say for now that they will cater to the sledderd but as a buisness owner they would be nut's not grab as much cash from the skiers as they can (I know I would) There are a few factors that might controll this situation that are out of anybodies controll one is that little hill called Rogers Pass and the rains in April that could shut the hill down early. Those are my rants on this subject.

M

Maxwe

Dec 1, 2007
Alberta
I think we are in trouble guys.
Snowmobilers turn the town in to a sauage fest. Talking to a number of merchants and business's they came accross that snowmobilers are cheap screws and yet blow money at the bar and on our trucks like no tommorrow.
Which includes if you are going to book your hotel, are you going with the family or the guys cleaning clutches in the sink with gasoline is one comment I got?
The drunk guys knocking doors down and running thier trucks in to parked cars in the parking lot?
It will be interesting but the dynamics of the town have changed from a culture to a business. A lot of the locals dont like this change either, but it is here and the ski hill has the BC gov ear. As there is more and more pressure to be a green earth reponsiable hugger, our sport which is burning fossil fuel and smoke will see pressure's that in the end dont make sense. But neither did Koyta and it is still out there with a new twist.
Snowmobile well we can guys. Revelstoke is like the caribou, a dying breed it appears.

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Personally I think theres a 50/50 chance that it'll work. I'm not in favour of it but we'll see. Wasn't it opening day today for the hill and some poor chap got lost on the hill and froze to death:(? Not good publicity for the ski resort.

But on the flipside, its nice to hear that some of the business owners(Comfort Inn post above) realize that sledders helped and continue to help them stay afloat in the winter.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I think it's going to make the hot tubs way better looking! Fug sausage fests! I'm all for it!

It's going to make finding a room harder and a little more expensive till they build more accomodations on the hill.

Fernie and Golden manage skiing and sledding in the same town. No biggy.

My two bits.

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
We were in fernie a fews years back and it was a boys trip with a little boozin and riding, we rented a awesome log cabin and evrybody was great to us but we still felt like we were the misfits around town in the the bars and what not because of the greenies. They looked at us a invaders from mars or something so we never really went back.

Golden seemed to go through a similiar cycle, and it seems that its starting to be a kick *** sledding town again except for the break inns but that another can of worms, and o ya golden should bring back tha nightly ballet.

I think the boarders and the back country people in general have started to see what sledding is all about, you are sure seeing alot of boarders on sleds now and i think this is helping the cause
:beer;:beer;:beer;

P

pano-dude

Nov 28, 2007
invermere
Too funny! reading rants from Albertan's about other Albertan's poor driving, plugging up the parking lots, grocery stores etc. in small town BC

Welcome to the locals perspective! This is a fact of life for those of us who are lucky enough to live in these small towns of BC. We live with this every friggin weekend.

Skiing is big business and with 2010 on the horizon it is just getting started with more European's coming over here for our uncrowded resorts.

I hope some of the sledders who feel the skiiers are taking up their sled spaces remember how it feels to us locals when they park their friggin 4 place trailer and truck in front of the grocery store doors in stead of at the back of the p-lot cause they'll only be a minute in the store!

Cheers!

P

powder puff

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
The Best Western also has a special rate for sledders. ;) The Sandman has a discount for BCSF members. :)
It is very important now to check our corporate sponsor listings to see what business`s are continuing to support snowmobiling in Revy and for us all to only support the ones who do.
http://www.sledrevelstoke.com/corpspon.htm

If there is a business that you have supported over the yrs. and you no longer see it on the list ask the business owner why they have discontinued their support. Better yet ask the ones that refuse to support us that you guys do eat, drink or stay at why they are not corporate sponsors? We have asked them, they tell us they don`t have any snowmobiling guests, or patrons supporting their business`s.

Check the lists.

Last edited:
N
Nov 26, 2007
CowTown
Too funny! reading rants from Albertan's about other Albertan's poor driving, plugging up the parking lots, grocery stores etc. in small town BC

Welcome to the locals perspective! This is a fact of life for those of us who are lucky enough to live in these small towns of BC. We live with this every friggin weekend.

I hope some of the sledders who feel the skiiers are taking up their sled spaces remember how it feels to us locals when they park their friggin 4 place trailer and truck in front of the grocery store doors in stead of at the back of the p-lot cause they'll only be a minute in the store!

Please remember that we're not all inconsiderate dickheads who quadruple park our crew cab long box diesel with the loudest exhaust pipe and 4 place trailer with 8 sleds loaded sideways across 2 handicap parking stalls and leave it idling while we go into the liquor store before going to the hotel and run into some parked cars while our buddies go inside to wash their clutches in the sink with gasoline. :)

Please remember that we should not be all judged on the actions of the few. Unfortunate that the perception is out there though.

Premium Features