• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil Pump Adjustment Help

I
Hey everyone. Bought a 2015 RMK pro 800 off a dude this summer and I was running it on the track stand, checking things over and it seems like I’m getting oil dripping from my exhaust pipe. Decided to read all the forums about the oil pump adjustments and checked mine out. Looks like my lever notch is just above the scribe mark and my adjustment screw has a thread or two above the jam nut….

This seems like a common or even recommended setting in the forums but is this adjusted to far if I’m getting oil dripping from my exhaust pipe? Or do I just need to take it on a long ride and see where I’m at before messing with it?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. New to the RMK Pros!

-Justin
1e58c79a91b78c70eecdec3fde91bd96.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Leak from the donut gasket is normal with the poo when the sled is new, first started after sitting for weeks, etc., regardless of pump setting. There are other threads here that address it, also. Heatsoak the motor on snow well, and it will stop. Check your plugs after. You can pull the pipe and put RV on the donut if you don't like the mess - will hold up for awhile unless you're jumping the sled. Reroute the sploog line off the VES selonoid, too, to reduce the mess. The 800 likes more oil than less. Unless you're oil fouling plugs the way you normally ride, I wouldn't lean it down. These motors like a nice warmup before hammering it. Pistons and cylinder skirts greatly appreciate it.

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
One thing that could be happening is you might have a leaky check valve, allowing oil to gravity feed into the crankcase while it's sitting. Sometimes if they're marginal, heat during summer storage can create enough pressure in the oil tank to push oil past them, but it won't put in extra oil during normal use. Step one, like @Reg2view suggested, is to run it and hopefully burn off any residual oil. If the problem disappears when you're using the sled regularly, it's probably no problem.

There's lots of info on turning up the oil pump, but essentially, Polaris made it pretty lean on oil for the sake of emissions, and on a motor that needs all the help it can get. To eliminate that problem, you can just turn up the adjustment on the oil pump; it probably costs more oil and a bit of power because it's not needed in all situations, but that's way cheaper than a new motor. One great, mostly old-school practice is to add a quart of oil at a time and make a mark each time until it's full, then compare oil to gas usage. If it's less than 40:1, but not really rich (like 20:1), you should be fine. You can start rich (it should be there since the previous owner turned it up) and lean it down until it's where you want it, but that's definitely not necessary.

Premium Features