• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

nytro oil tank building pressure on the breather

P
Nov 28, 2007
These weekend I had oil all over the oil tank side of the sled. My oil light came on and I added a quart of oil on Sat, and one qt on sunday. It is leaking not from the tank, but from the breather. When I put my thumb over the hose while idling for 10 secs or so, it builds pressure. I have an impulse turbo. The sled runs great. It ran great all weekend until the last hour when it was running rich and the air/fuel gauge was pegged. I think that is another story though. WHere do I start? Compression? If compression is good, what next?

P
Nov 28, 2007
Well I brought it in the shop last night and no oil is coming out of the breather like I thought. It is actually coming out of the valve cover gasket. It actually pushed the whole mag side of the gasket out. I now know where the oil is coming from. I did not have a small enough compression tester to fit the small 3/8" hole, so I will find out tonite. This aint gonna be cheap. Any takers on what this will be? Head gasket, rings?

sledhead162

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
My buddy had this same prob, pushed the half moon out and he beleaves the vent on the valve cover had got plugged at one time. If you twist that lil vent 90 out of the valve cover you can see how small the hole is in it. We have tapped ours out to 1/4 pipe and put a larger vent fitting in place. Hope this helps

P
Nov 28, 2007
looks like that is all it is. Just the half moon pushing out. Took a punch and made some divots on the half moon to seal better. If everything goes right, looks like it might just be this stupid gasket.

Premium Features