• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Not pulling rpm

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
I have a 2007 Dragon that is only pulling 7200 max pulling a hill. I pulled my clutch apart and everything was clean. I changed both springs in the primary and secondary. I have 10-60 weights. I am riding at 7100-10500 feet in elevation. Whats wrong?

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
1. drop wts to 10-56's
2. black/white secondary spring
3. change secondary helix to a shallower second angle...ie. go from a 60-42 to a 60-38

dropping wt is more than likely what you need to do. I am assuming you are running correctly as far as your fuel/air. I am not sure if you have a carbed sled or fuel injected. But if you are too fat or too lean, clutching is not where you should start.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
i am fuel injected. The dealer told me that 10-58's would be right but that will only give me a few hundred rpm. He said everything sounds right and doesnt know why it is doing this

M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
Preload=

when you put your secondary back together, you get the spring put back in the holes on both ends.(remember which hole it came out of on the helix) once you have all that in place, don't just push it straight down and put the snap ring on. you have to turn the two sheaves in opposite directions(make sure you go the right way) I'm at work right now so i can't remember which one goes which way but all you have to look at is make sure you are going the way so the slope of the helix is going to have pressure on the first button you go past. once you go far enough past the button, you can push it together. you may have to take a rubber mallet and tap it down now that there is pressure on it to get it down far enough to get the washer and snap ring on. then it should be good. i could show you in about 1 minute but it is a little tougher to explain. hope this helps. i do agree though that you should probably try the weights. good luck!!

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
i had a buddy put it back together and i dont remember moving things. I think he just put it in then compressed it. What would it do when i ride that is different?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
He has a Team clucth. The secondary spring is preloaded by the little clip that holds down the spring cup. I would do like 800xtreme said and throw ina set of 10-56's.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
alright i will have to try that and see how it goes. Thanks everyone. Anymore information would be awesome

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Corey is correct...you have a Team secondary clutch, NOT the old button style in which you had to preload the spring by turning the sheaves.

You can try 10-58's but "generally" 2grams of wt = 200 rpm change and you are off by 800-900rpm. That is why I suggested 10-56's. However, I don't think that ALONE would be enough. Spend the $20 and get a Black/White secondary spring. If it still can't hold r's, than we can address your helix. You CAN change your helix first INSTEAD of your spring. BUT a helix is 4-5 times more expensive.

What helix are you running now?

Also, I ride at 10000ft and it is common practice to run a stiffer PRIMARY spring too. SLP Blue/Pink (140/340), Team Bright Green (150/340) or SLP Green/Pink (160/340). You have a 165/310 - so you engage pretty high but your finish rate is too low. If you get spring with a 340 finish rate vs. 310, your r's will come up quite a bit.

So:

- 10-56's w/ SLP Green/Pink (or one of the other two I suggested if you want to engage lower than you are now)
- Team Black/White Secondary w/ 3 Derlins
- Leave Helix a lone for right now

I can ALMOST guarantee if you do this, you will be smiling ear-to-ear :)

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
^^^^^ I'd try 800's suggestions. I don't have a 700, but right away can tell you that the weights are too heavy. My stock 800 had 60's and wouldn't pull rpm in the steep climbs either at the higher altitudes.

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Is this a problem that just started or has it always done it with this setup. 56 grams are pretty light that is what we are running in 600's. We really need to know what helix is in your sled. I do agree the 60 gram weights are to heavy. I would go with 58 grams and then work on your secondary. Helix is a key issue here. If it pulls rpm on the trail but falls off in the powder then I would say you are running to much helix with not enough back shift. But if you have run this setup before and it was working good then you need to look for reasons that it changed. Maybe primary clutch has some bushing issues. If you cant pull rpm on the trail then yes weights are way to heavy. Also maybe we need to know what gearing you have in the chain case. look for a 19 tooth top and a 41 tooth bottom gear. Just some things to think about good luck.

J

joe julkowski

Nov 11, 2008
Cook MN.
I dont know what to tell you I had an 07 d7 no problems the first year the second year it did exactly the same thing. I traded it off for an assault but my belt was worn quite a bit 3/16 i was hopining that was it but its gone so I dont know it was stock with slp single pipe plus some extra vents.

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
I bought this used from a friend and it has always ran low rpm's. I will check my helix and see what is going on there. I am pretty sure i have stock gearing so i think gearing down will also help the issue. What do you think 10-58's with the right gearing would bring me up too? anyone have a set of gears so i dont pay so much at the dealer

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
I have a 07 too and with the stock springs/helix, I had to run 10-56's above 7000 feet to pull 8100 rpms. I couldn't believe thats all it would pull when my 2000 700 would pull 10-58's in the same area.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
I had a 2007 700 dragon also. 8000-10000ft I had to put 10-56 weights. It ran alot better. Wasn't perfect but better. I then replaced the springs. Then it was perfect. They are very sensitve to elevation and temperature. Even with EFI. I would highly recommend the vents that SLP has to offer. I could only do a few hillclimbs and then could tell that the belt was getting hot. After the vents in, the clutches seem to run cooler.

Premium Features