• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My 2011 ProRMK ride report with pics

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
Poo is notorious for tight clearance of the track past the bulkhead, wonder why? Do they see no advantage of clearing everything through a little easier?

until that happens, u will not hear the LOUD POP until Pol pulls their head outta their a$$ and gives some clearance with a factory d&r...:face-icon-small-sho

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can tell you that it honestly looks like you could get a 2.5" track in there without changing the drivers.
I thought there was a good 1/2" between lug tips and bulkhead in the quick glance that I got. Who knows, there may have been more...I had a poor angle.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Put it this way...I'm trying to talk the committee (wife) into letting me sell her 06 600 RMKho so we can buy her one of these.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
These were not the typical demo rides. All they asked was for us to not wrap them around any trees and stay off the big open slopes as the snow was a little unstable. Other than that they wanted us to pound away. The shocks from the sounds of it will get massaged a little further with a possible upgrade deal to have clickers. The engine mounting is a little different making it more accessible.
It appears to have similar injectors but with my quick glance something looks to be a little different with where they are going but not 100% sure. I ran the one I was on all over the rpm range looking for the infamous spot, which I couldn't find. I also wicked the throttle multiple times trying to see if I could load it up which it didn't do. There was one sled however that did show some issues, which I take as a good thing as they are able to see first hand if a gremlin is raising its head. When I got there they had the questionable sled behind the trailer hooked up to a laptop and were far from shy to admit they had a bug they were working out with it. The sled did run all day with a few 'fall on it face' deals at wide open for a while. With that said, I would buy a 163 model in a heartbeat. The motor power felt as good as any '10 but maybe more linear feeling. The biggie for me was the feel of the chassis. Very maneuverable with predictability and the ride on the trail with even these "generic" set-up(they said were more for the harsh pounding style of rider) was so much better than a Dragon.
The belt looks to be easier to change as there is more room on the end of the primary to the plastic were I seem to fight my belts at. The picture is misleading as there is room above the clutches to peel the belt around the secondary. There is also no real need to mess with the hood as there is good access through the sides to get at the plugs and whatnot.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I dunno. The gas guage didn't really move in the 30mi I put on it.

It had JUST over 1/2 tank when I left the parking lot. Had JUST under 1/2 when I got back.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Great write up and report. Thanks. What about criticisms? There has to be a couple areas? How about the side panels? Are they easily detachable? It looks like how they open down at the bottom could make it difficult to get in and do some work. That is actually something I really like about the XP is that I can take off the side panel in seconds to give me a little more working room if I need to change plugs or belt, etc, etc. Overall I think the sled looks like a winner. I've been on do for the last 5 years, but this could change things. I think I would want to wait for 2012 and give them a chance to work out any issues that may arise.

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
?

How about powder in the intake? Are we gonna have to use a whole tube of silicone to seal up the cracks? Fit and Finish Good? Looks like it in the Pics.

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Scott,

My only complaint about my Raw RMK chassis is: the downhill ski on a sidehill turn going downhill or just going downhill, feels like it wants to dive into the snow and tip downhill. Others complain about this same sensation, did you feel this at all on the 2011 RMK?

Thanks,

Kale

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Good questions.

Is there room for a muff-pot in there somewhere?:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap
LOL, I ALMOST asked that yesterday but the mood was so serious and I didn't think that would get a laugh.

The air intake is NOT in the headlight anymore.
It's those two vents back by the handle bars. Airbox and headlight are NOT together anymore.

Kale, I didnt feel NEAR the diving I have been used to in other chassis.
I brought up the swaybar vs no sway bar...they said abosolutely leave it in, even for mountain riding unless you want to revalve your shocks. They didn't really comment on how it might behave without the sway bar.
I did some downhill carves in totally untracked snow. I have always disliked how the downhill ski weights down and it can mess up how you steer and ride and how hard it is to right in tight stuff. I NOTICED how much easier this was to weight the ski that I WANTED to be weighted. It stayed even and level until I leaned over and pressed a kneed into the tank to body steer it one way or the other. A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE.

I think the things that people complained about were:

--Chopping the bars narrower. Dan Adams an I talked about that. He agreed with me. Smaller framed people always complain about that though.
--shocks being much stiffer than the old std rmk shocks. They said THESE ProRMK shocks (read that the PRO model and not the std rmk model), are designed for heavy pounding of that trail back to the bowls and not mamma and the kids riding trails at 20mph. They are purpose built.
--Side panels are held in by those metal turn locks. Those locks did not turn or loosen. (Not sure what they are really called). The panels did NOT move. Did NOT come off...and they did hook in and stay put well. Fit and finish seemed pretty good.
--Seat was a TAD softer than I expected. Not that it was BAD or anything. And I'm 160lbs with gear (145 in birthday suit).
--Shane Hart talked about the toe stirrups in the running boards and how they are designed for the needs of deep powder and mtn riding and NOT how you'd use them on aggressive trail riding. You do use them differently on the trail than you do off the trail. Again....purpose built.
--Dash guage. I wish you could adjust them from up on the handlebars instead of down on the console. Hate having to let go of the bars to adjust the guage. BUT not a big deal. It's not a deal breaker. That guage does have a playback and mode, BTW. maybe tilt the guage up a bit more for stand up riding. WAY better than the 2010 Cats though.

Last edited:
A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
Great write up and report. Thanks. What about criticisms? There has to be a couple areas? How about the side panels? Are they easily detachable? It looks like how they open down at the bottom could make it difficult to get in and do some work. That is actually something I really like about the XP is that I can take off the side panel in seconds to give me a little more working room if I need to change plugs or belt, etc, etc. Overall I think the sled looks like a winner. I've been on do for the last 5 years, but this could change things. I think I would want to wait for 2012 and give them a chance to work out any issues that may arise.

Side panels come off with a couple of druz (sp? - half turn) fasteners and one rubber strap - off in about 10 seconds...

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
GR8 Report Scott! Thanks for the pics and info! Good work.
(lol'n about birthday suit)

B

burndown

Nov 26, 2007
Missoula, MT
Thanks for the write up, Scott. It sounds like everyone had a great time, even some of our customers that are on other brands, haha. Just to add to Scott and Rod's info, the entire bulkhead can be replaced in 4 hours, it is a TEAM roller secondary same as 2010, the jackshaft actually goes through the chaincase cover and the cover has a support bearing in it with the disc on the outside of the case. The chaincase is a stressed member of the chassis, handlebars are about 1/2 inch higher than a Dragons. Gauge setup is the exact same as on our 550 and 850xp atvs, seat and tank are the same as 2010 with only front of tank being different to mate to new plastic, skis are the same grippers. The hood will come off in under a minute, the sidepanels come off in seconds with dzus fasteners. Engine is really easy to work on and you can actually see the oil pump. Voltage regulator is no longer covered up and is allowed to breath cool air. I'm a little biased of course, but I fell in love the second we hit the powder on them. Thanks again,

Lucas

B

burndown

Nov 26, 2007
Missoula, MT
Oh yeah, and the guy in snow camo coat in the pics is a service rep for Polaris. Really cool dude, named Brandon...

A

aadougie

Nov 26, 2007
Bigfork, Montana
BTW - none of the Poo guys would say anything about a longtrack version but the videos they gave out show some action shots of a longtrack, at least 163" I'm guessing. The longtracks are grey/black.

Premium Features