• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTX clutch weights?

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
Is anyone familiar with these weights? I put a SLP stage 2 kit in my Pro-RMK it came with the power shift clutch kit. The Recommended clutch weight is the MTX weights came with the kit. My ? is on the weighting. According to the weight chart on elevation 0-3000ft a 71g weight 2g rivet in outer hole and 3g rivet in outer hole. I did that and the total should be 76g but they weight 75.409g is that going to be ok for my RPMs. How have you guys tweaked these weights?

Brad

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I really have had great luck with the mtx weights in quite a few different sleds, really you are going to have to ride it once and go from there, theres way to many differences to hit it the first time perfect. Buy the slp weight tool it works well and you can change on the trail no problem.

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
I really have had great luck with the mtx weights in quite a few different sleds, really you are going to have to ride it once and go from there, theres way to many differences to hit it the first time perfect. Buy the slp weight tool it works well and you can change on the trail no problem.

Yes I have the tool I guess I'll just have to try it. I am heading out to Seeley lake MT this weekend and set up for 6k-8k and again the weights are about 1/2 g light with what the chart says. My Dalton weights are way easier to change on the trail I don't have to take them out of the clutch.

Brad

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
My gut feeling is you will be a bit heavy there, i'd say 70 as a guess, never know though every set up is different

For 6k-8k it calls for a base weight of 68g and 1g weight inner hole and 1g outer hole it weights 69.503g

I am at work now but I wonder if the rivets don't exactly weight what they claim I am going to check it out

Brad

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I doubt the rivets are exact, but close enough for what they are used for. I like a tip bias on the MTX, as long as the secondary setup can provide a strong/quick backshift with them.
Be sure to shim the spider for proper belt clearance with these weights, many guys seem to skip this for some reason.

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
I am all packed up going to head to MT tomorrow I'll let you know if I have any ?s after my ride thanks for all the help. Yes when I brought my sled in for the recalls I had the dealer install the power shift clutch kit and shim it.

Brad

G

green_denali

Dec 14, 2009
Anchorage, AK
mtx weights

I have 2010 800 dragon, I ride between 0-3000'. I put in the 68 gram mtx's. However all the weights did not weigh the same, the lightest one
weighed 67.7 grams, so I grounded the other 2 down to 67.7 also, hopefully your dealer made sure they weighed all the same. I run 2 grams in the belly & 1 gram in the tip which works great for my altitude. One thing I would recommend is putting delrins in your secondary, I have found running 3 delrins works best. One in the spring cup, one under the cup, & one on the other side of the spring. I thought you might be running a little heavy on weights for your elevation but since you have the SLP stage 2 kit its probably correct. Let us know what your getting for rpm's at that elelvation.

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
I have 2010 800 dragon, I ride between 0-3000'. I put in the 68 gram mtx's. However all the weights did not weigh the same, the lightest one
weighed 67.7 grams, so I grounded the other 2 down to 67.7 also, hopefully your dealer made sure they weighed all the same. I run 2 grams in the belly & 1 gram in the tip which works great for my altitude. One thing I would recommend is putting delrins in your secondary, I have found running 3 delrins works best. One in the spring cup, one under the cup, & one on the other side of the spring. I thought you might be running a little heavy on weights for your elevation but since you have the SLP stage 2 kit its probably correct. Let us know what your getting for rpm's at that elelvation.

I made all the weights weight the same.

bradlemieux7331

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2008
Shakopee MN
Surprise

There in Seeley Lake MT testing my Sled Keith Curtis came riding by with his buddy Dave. It seem that they were testing new gears and clutching for the Belt Drive, from Kurt the Polaris dealer in Seeley Lake. I just hope the picture with Keith and my self turns out.

Brad

Premium Features