• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to Edmonton - Where to Ride, Labatt and eh?

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Found out today from my boss that there's a good chance I'll be moving to Edmonton in '08 to a 2+ year long job assignment.

Only spent about an hour of my life in Edmonton back in 2001 for a flight layover on my way up to Ft. McMurray.

Any good riding areas within a reasonable driving distance? Is Jasper open to sleds? :confused:

Who's going to immerse me in the Canadian culture and teach this Yankee on the proper use of eh and how to drink Labatt? :D

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Yer always welcome to Edmonton.:D

Some of the best sledding is just 5 hours away. Valemount, Mcbride, Golden, and if you want to drive a couple of more hours, Revelstoke is ok too;)

Better get a nice longtrack. Lemme know when you get here, We can go for a beer.

S
So ur new to Edmonton

What he said
Get yourself a pickup with a deck
Get a longtrack sled (min 151)
stick to snowest forums for info
Valemount 5 hours(480 km)
McBride 5.5 hours (540km)
Golden 5.5 to 6 hours (550km)
revy 7 to 8 hours away(730km)
most of the time we do Golden or Valemount for a weekend
leave friday night come back sunday for those of us who work 8to5 M-F
We save Revy for the long weekends.
No riding in the National Parks here.
There is riding around Robb, south of edson and riding around Whitecourt.
These places are good enough for a day trip (trail riding)
BUT nothing beats BC
Hands Down.

C
Nov 30, 2007
Ya what schoooled dweeb said.

Gotta have a big 'ol pickup truck, diesel preferably.
Gotta be ready to drive 5 hours to ride.
Gotta be really patient as nobody is willing to work retail jobs so lines are long
Gotta be warm so bring a good parka
Gotta try some better beer than Labatts

Other than that, good times.

Cheers

R
Dec 5, 2007
shuswap
those hoser's didn't even mention Ministik or the Golden triangle eh!
when you come up to the great white north you'll have to steam roll em eh!

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry about your luck...what did you do to pizz the boss off so bad he is sending you to LOSERton?

OVER!!!

ps...LABATTS :beer; sucks....:face-icon-small-dis

pss....watch out for that Marcuso fellow....something very WRONG with that guy....:D

Yeah I dunno, I slayed powder with him for a few days, I don't think I'll ever be the same lol!

All kidding aside, do what Marcuso and others said. Get a good 3/4 ton 4x4 diesel, long track sled and PM me or others when you want to go riding. We have some of the best riding in the world just a few hours away (Valemount, McBride, Revy).

Oh and your gonna want to start with some Kokanee, forget that Labatt's stuff:face-icon-small-ton.

PM me if you need any info or help:)

C
Nov 30, 2007
albertans and Kokanee, whaats up with that, we dont drink that p i s s in BC

I only use it to water my plants but he's American (I'm assuming) and you don't want to get them started with the strong beer. It's good to avoid anything with the label xxx or REALLY STRONG BEER or 7% alcahol by volume at least until you aclimatize. I'm not saying you have to start with coors light but go easy.

Cheers :beer;:beer;:beer;

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Sorry, no pickup decks for me - I've got a Triton 3-place inline enclosed trailer to keep the sleds perfectly clean and happy.

Already have two M8 153s so I'm set there.

All my trips to deep powder are anywhere from 6 (UP of Michigan) to 13 (Snowies, Rabbit Ears, etc.) hours away for me right now so closer is good!

Didn't piss off my boss - I said Denver; he said "How about Edmonton?" Hmm...Cold, snow is closer, more money - Why not? There are worse places in the world to go. Summer sucks!

And I've been a Coors Light guy forever because it used to be illegal in Minnesota. :beer;

Luke The Drifter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry, no pickup decks for me - I've got a Triton 3-place inline enclosed trailer to keep the sleds perfectly clean and happy.

Already have two M8 153s so I'm set there.

All my trips to deep powder are anywhere from 6 (UP of Michigan) to 13 (Snowies, Rabbit Ears, etc.) hours away for me right now so closer is good!

Didn't piss off my boss - I said Denver; he said "How about Edmonton?" Hmm...Cold, snow is closer, more money - Why not? There are worse places in the world to go. Summer sucks!

And I've been a Coors Light guy forever because it used to be illegal in Minnesota. :beer;

Sounds like your set to come shred pow with us Edmontonians:cool:. When in 08' are you planning on moving here?

Premium Features