• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Riders, very small club

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Interesting factoid, of the 1.65 Million registered sleds in the US, there are only around 254K in the western mountain states.

Idaho 50,000
Alaska 33,576
Colorado 33,000
Washington 31,532
Utah 27,894
Montana 23,400
Wyoming 19,060
California 19,000
Oregon 16,809
Total = 254,271 (not sure why Nevada was left out)

And, not all of those would be mountain riders/sleds. I knew we were a small portion of snowmobilers, I guess that explains why our mountain sleds are always nothing more than a thinly veiled flatlander sled. :face-icon-small-hap

I'm surprise by a few things. That my home state has the most of any western state (I recommend all flatlanders go to Colorado,Montana and Wyoming) :D, it looks like you will have more room!:lol:

With all that deep snow in the Sierra/Nevada range and close to the huge population base, why does California have so few?

Why so few in Colorado, excellent high elevation mountains and good population base, puzzling?

State # Reg. Snowmobiles
Alaska 33,576
Arizona na
California 19,000
Colorado 33,000
Idaho 50,000
Illinois 54,128
Indiana 17,452
Iowa 45,000
Maine 96,600
Massachusetts 13,000
Michigan 301,805
Minnesota 277,290
Montana 23,440
Nebraska 2,100
New Hampshire 73,625
New York 146,662
North Dakota 21,000
Ohio 19,500
Oregon 16,809
Pennsylvania 45,270
South Dakota 11,691
Utah 27,894
Vermont 41,000
Virginia na
Washington 31,532
Wisconsin 232,320
Wyoming 19,060
Total 1,652,754

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
That is only a small fraction of the sleds in Alaska. The only registered sleds are if they were purchased new in the last few years or if they are used in park lands. Looks like those tax crazy midwest states have the strickest registration requirements.

Last edited:
J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That is only a small fraction of the sleds in Alaska. The only registered sleds are if they were purchased new in the last few years or if they are used in park lands. Looks like those tax crazy midwest states have the strickest registration requirements.

Exactly....no one here that buys a sled used ever registers it just to ride in the mountains. Out east where everyone rides on the public trail system (and municipal roads) they are much stricter with regulation of registrations. Safe to say we're still the minority, but going off of registered sleds is definetly not accurate.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Colorado is TERRIBLE snowmobiling, no one whos a mountain rider would like it here!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Idaho is terrible too!! :D

But seriously, why are the numbers so low in Colorado? My perception(having never been there) of your terrain is that it is more open than our heavily treed/brush terrain? Colorado has a much higher population than Idaho, so I'm at a loss to explain these numbers?

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
Exactly....no one here that buys a sled used ever registers it just to ride in the mountains. Out east where everyone rides on the public trail system (and municipal roads) they are much stricter with regulation of registrations. Safe to say we're still the minority, but going off of registered sleds is definetly not accurate.

Your perception of what it is like here in the lower 48 is skewed by the freedom you still have in Alaska and the Canadian bush! :)

Alaska is about the only place where you could get away with that for very long. Here in the lower 48 we always have some bureaucrat ready to hand you a ticket for not having the sticker.

Last edited:
B

bretton_s

Jul 22, 2010
Dawson Creek, BC
I wonder how many mountain sleds in western Canada? We really are spoiled - registration is not even mandatory here in BC. Only a few elevation restrictions in a few areas to contend with but very little enforcement.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
Idaho is terrible too!! :D

But seriously, why are the numbers so low in Colorado? My perception(having never been there) of your terrain is that it is more open than our heavily treed/brush terrain? Colorado has a much higher population than Idaho, so I'm at a loss to explain these numbers?

I think it is weird too, I moved to Colorado from Alaska and cannot believe how good of riding is here. I live in SW Colorado, and there are not many locals who ride around here, but there are so many places to ride. When I lived in Alaska I had to drive at least an hour and a half to get to good riding, now I live on the edge of a desert and it only takes me 20 mins to get to closest local riding spot, which is less crowded than the main Alaska riding areas and has way better snow and more mild temps. The new snowest has a write up about South Fork Colorado, which has killer riding too, this is one of the first times I have seen any write ups about Colorado, most of the time they focus on Idaho Wyoming and Montana.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Keep in mind that those numbers are only registered sleds. You would be surprised how many people don't register their sleds or only register their main sled. Too bad, that money goes to state parks which distributes back to local clubs for grooming and preserving the sport in other ways.

Realize how diverse Colorado is. Probably more than any other state when it comes to winter activities. We have so many ski areas and that drives up the cost of living. Most "transplants" come here to live here because of the ski industry. Us sledders don't tell too many people because we don't want our areas to get overrun by knuckleheads (snowboarders ;) ). I'm sure you get some of the same in other states.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I think it is weird too, I moved to Colorado from Alaska and cannot believe how good of riding is here. I live in SW Colorado, and there are not many locals who ride around here, but there are so many places to ride. When I lived in Alaska I had to drive at least an hour and a half to get to good riding, now I live on the edge of a desert and it only takes me 20 mins to get to closest local riding spot, which is less crowded than the main Alaska riding areas and has way better snow and more mild temps. The new snowest has a write up about South Fork Colorado, which has killer riding too, this is one of the first times I have seen any write ups about Colorado, most of the time they focus on Idaho Wyoming and Montana.

and this is a bad thing...............sshhhhhhhhh!

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
I have discovered that old sleds never die. They move to minnesota.(and evidently get registered too)

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
and this is a bad thing...............sshhhhhhhhh!

Yeah I am really giving away some secret info here, when you guys are posting soco riding videos all over youtube and the general snowmobiling section.. I am talking about Mancos and the lizard head area, how many of you guys ride there anyway, I know some people who sure could use some tourist bucks coming in and helping the local economy. There is plenty of snow for everybody, after all, thats what this site is about any way, finding new riding areas and meeting new people, right.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I have about a hundred frends here in MN that ride Mt. sleds,

and are registered here in MN and ride in MT, ID, BC, MI, CO, WY, so what are you driving at? We like to ride......Period!!!!!

All of these are newer mt. sleds and many are modern mods. and some turbos.

West we come. We pay and we pay over and over again. Ya gotta love all those stickers.

Owen

S

stopdropanroll

Feb 17, 2009
Fall River Wi
Looks like those tax crazy midwest states have the strickest registration requirements.

Thats because trail systems cost money to maintain and operate, unfortunately we dont have the vast amounts of off-trail freedom that you guys do, and have to beg, borrow, and rent land to ride on. All that "tax" goes into snowmobiling directly. It takes a ton of volunteer effort to have a trail system, I know there seems to be some kind off "hate" towards "flatlanders" because we don't have the same terrain that you western people do and seemed to be deemed "drunks" but what we have in the midwest is nothing short of spectacular from the stand point of trail systems that can be ridden from N. Illinois non stop to the E. UP of Michigan on 95% private land. Sorry to say but if the midwest didn't buy snowmobiles you guys wouldn't have ANY mountain sleds to ride, green, blue, yellow, and red would be out of business in the sled world.

Premium Features