• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mono or twin rail skid on Catalyst...

What would you like to see offered for the rear skid on the new Catalyst?

• Mono-rail only...may as well learn how to love it, cause its the only option we have

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Mono-rail standard with a twin rail option

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • Twin rail skid standard with Mono-rail option

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Quick-change rear skid with BOTH for a $2000 option with purchase of new Catalyst

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Ditch the mono altogether.. I wont buy a Catalyst if thats all they come with.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Ive always wondered how the Kmod handles compared to the alpha? Looks like it has similar track flex? Are some of the typical gripes that people have with the alpha lessened or eliminated?
Trail manners are easily noticed with the Skinny, especially when pretty whopped out, it stays planted.
Track flex is still like OEM feel- You can really hammer on the skinny though and it doesn't give up unlike the monorail, it is very durable.
Weight wise, it's a wash between the skinny and the monorail. The Evol shocks makes handling in ditch banging more controllable, very noticeable in re-entries, it won't wash out as easily as the monorail.
The different lengths of the front and rear arms assist- it just stays flat, the quick adjust coupling is a bonus and works better than just locking out a shock, which doesn't do anything for coupling.
I do fully clip the track for less rolling resistance when I have installs here in my shop- just good sense. I have never tried a 4th wheel kit- never seen the need and feel, it's a trend as much as the elevate was.

Just my findings running a skinny for 3 years, and feedback I have received.

Last edited:

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I thought the 4 wheel kit seemed to be just a trend as well and was never interested, but after discovering I may have a couple breaking/broken rods right at the width of the rear wheels I decided to order it and give it a shot just to try and prolong the track life a bit. Wasn’t interested for any handling changes, just for possibly extending track life. We’ll see what happens

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yeah, the fact the Alpha must run tighter than the twin rail seems hard on the track with 2 wheels. Look and the back of the sled, u can see the shape of the wheels through the track.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yup, I noticed a couple paddles splitting right in line with the rear wheel which apparently is a telltale sign of rod damage. They’re not tearing or protruding through the rubber at the actual rod yet, but feel a bit more flexible than some of the other rods so I’m hoping the 4 wheels will prevent them from progressing further. I just hope the wider axle doesn’t drastically increase the possibility of busting the rear axle mount assembly off that is already known to happen. Debating on drilling a hole through that assembly and running a through bolt through the rail just in case.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
That must add to the washout characteristic. Noticed the muskoga kid showing how his doo track rods are breaking. Must be kinda a new track thing, i feel no give on my o.g. PC3" and she sees quite a bit of crap snow sidehilling.
Loctite 404 on that ripped paddle vern!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^i see cat still cant make a true spinning wheel to save their life. I replaced mine with whatever brand plastic wheel TKI sells.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Yeah, I’ll probably finish the season out with this factory stuff and maybe look for something a little higher quality in the off season.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Factory cat wheels that came with the 4 wheel kit. Wonder how much this contributes to the cut tracks and broken rods.

My axys wheels were like that. I had a track vibration I was chasing and noticed my wheels were sloppy so I bought brand new ones and they were the same way.

Premium Features