• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mono or twin rail skid on Catalyst...

What would you like to see offered for the rear skid on the new Catalyst?

• Mono-rail only...may as well learn how to love it, cause its the only option we have

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Mono-rail standard with a twin rail option

Votes: 51 53.7%
  • Twin rail skid standard with Mono-rail option

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Quick-change rear skid with BOTH for a $2000 option with purchase of new Catalyst

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • Ditch the mono altogether.. I wont buy a Catalyst if thats all they come with.

Votes: 9 9.5%

• Total voters
A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Ive heard this more than anything out of riders that are considering a Catalyst in the future...Hopefully with enough replys, someone from Arctictron will see this and address the rear skid by the time they release the bigger powerplant. The both option was my idea in case Arctictron wants to thank me with a complimentary black-catalyst!!

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
53D11F36-A237-4B94-B1F1-F1DB10545614.jpeg
Love my twin rail Alpha. Will not buy a single beam catalyst. I hope they offer both options like in 2019. But a 3.5” pitch track in the twin rail option.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I want both!
I like having 2 sleds that are purpose built.
Alpha for the deep days and twin for the majority of the yr.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I would like to try the Catalyst chassis with a mono rail first before switching to a twin rail. From what I’ve read this chassis is reacting totally different than expected. It might work really good as is ? Where /when are the demo rides? I do like the idea of a dual platform track.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
When you guys twin rail a late model aloha where do you get the parts? Just curious. I have a 21 hardcore
2017 -2019 mtn cat.
I have a complete mtn cat skid for a 162.
I test fit it in the Alpha track. Needs a big wheel kit to get proper tension. 162-165 is 3in. 153-154 is 1in, can probably get away with stock wheels, If using the alpha track.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I can definitely buy the suggestion that the Alpha will only work better in the Catalyst; it's hard to imagine it being better than a twin-rail Catalyst in ALL conditions though. And no matter how good it is, it seems they stand to lose some sales. Another $750 or so would make them a profit - some people would pay it - and being pre-order only means no issues deciding how many of each to build. I also like the idea of a "choose your weapon" option, having a track punched and clipped for both and including a complete twin-rail skid. I'd offer it, but I don't see much chance of that unless they get swamped with feedback from people wanting it. I see no problem with pushing the Alpha if they think it'll win over the most riders; I just don't see what they have to lose by offering an option.

G
Mar 29, 2016
As a rider of just average skill level, I've adapted just fine to the monorail. This is with my brother's 2017 Summit and Dad's 2020 RMK in the fleet for comparison. So I don't have any problem with keeping just the Alpha skid. I would be more curios about paddle height and spacing as this has been something I can tell more of a difference with between sleds. The 3" alpha track has torn some lugs. How would a 2.6" or 2.8" lug with a 3.5" pitch spacing feel? Can all mountain tracks move to a 3.5 pitch or does pitch need to vary with lug height? I've heard that Polaris's 2.75 works better all around than their 3" track, but I haven't heard as much comparing it to their 2.6.

R
Feb 26, 2008
I think as is, I prefer the alpha over a twin rail. But the alpha track on a twin rail skid would probably result in me buying both sleds.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
I think a lot of us have just settled with having two Cats in the stable. The Alpha as the primary winter weapon, deep snow assassin. Then using our older twin rail Proclimb/Mountain Cat for spring riding and conditions not prime for the Alpha.

It's worked out well for me and probably the reason I don't get too involved with these single vs. twin rail discussions.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
As a rider of just average skill level, I've adapted just fine to the monorail. This is with my brother's 2017 Summit and Dad's 2020 RMK in the fleet for comparison. So I don't have any problem with keeping just the Alpha skid. I would be more curios about paddle height and spacing as this has been something I can tell more of a difference with between sleds. The 3" alpha track has torn some lugs. How would a 2.6" or 2.8" lug with a 3.5" pitch spacing feel? Can all mountain tracks move to a 3.5 pitch or does pitch need to vary with lug height? I've heard that Polaris's 2.75 works better all around than their 3" track, but I haven't heard as much comparing it to their 2.6.
I’d be happy with a 2.6-2.8” track with a 3.5” pitch. I think the bigger pitch is more beneficial than another .3” of paddle. A perfect example of this is how much better the old 2.6” powerclaw works in deep snow once you remove the little finger towers essentially doubling the pitch between the actual paddles.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
I think a lot of us have just settled with having two Cats in the stable. The Alpha as the primary winter weapon, deep snow assassin. Then using our older twin rail Proclimb/Mountain Cat for spring riding and conditions not prime for the Alpha.

It's worked out well for me and probably the reason I don't get too involved with these single vs. twin rail discussions.
Not unlike guys having different sleds with length and lug height tracks depending on snow I guess.

I don’t see why they don’t offer a kit of all the stuff needed for reasonable at least. Any idea if Catalyst skid is interchangeable with ascender? Be no RD if it was to throw the old twin rail under it.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Id rather see cat redesign the rail itself. need to get away from that cast aluminum and rivets. That weight savings is huge in wet heavy coastal snow. I think peeps should ride it before petitioning it. Just seems pre-mature to me after listening to that podcast. My only concern with this sled is it seems like eventually that rail will break. Need to do a second edition of that, something more like that K-mod skinny!
Even if they offered a twin rail would it be good enough or would ya replace them with ice age?
They could re-design the mono to a 2 pice like K-mod. Aftermarket could make the pieces to spread them apart using chromoly arms, not steel. Then you just have that extra track clip weight. Worth it? 100% without even riding it first?

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
I’d be happy with a 2.6-2.8” track with a 3.5” pitch. I think the bigger pitch is more beneficial than another .3” of paddle. A perfect example of this is how much better the old 2.6” powerclaw works in deep snow once you remove the little finger towers essentially doubling the pitch between the actual paddles.
On my 13 Proclimb I put a 2.8 174 Camso 280 with 3.0 pitch on and liked the track but also liked how much better the newer sleds with 3.5 pitch worked, so the next year I switched to the 175 Camso 280 3.5 pitch using Alpha drivers flipped outside and what a difference, little lighter track and way less trenching, sled even ran cooler on trail. I thought it was a good comparison using same track design, same sled just different pitch. Turbo'ed it after that and well, that was a difference in itself.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Just rode Catalyst with Cat crew, no twin rail Mountain sled in Catalyst, Riot only

Premium Features