• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mesh Hood Thread : Lets see all Custom, Purchased.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Hello Everyone.

I have been tossing around the idea of building a Mesh Hood and would like to see what types everyone is running. along with the materials they used to build it and any info on doing this mod.

I like the hoods that retain the original type look of the stock hood if possible.
but alot of aftermarket ones are awesome too. I know there not readily available for a S Chassis skidoo. but any ideas are welcome.

I seen one built a long time ago that someone built that they actually used the stock hood and covered it with mesh material and cut certain parts of the hood out or swiss cheesed the hood in a way, it seemed to take alot of weight off the hood. and seemed strong too. not sure how to actually explain it but it did look really cool. any help on this would be cool too.

Any ideas or materials for the frame or mesh material and suggestions are welcome here. Where you bought the materials, links to products and suppliers or different threads that would be helpful, etc.....

So lets Please see all mesh hoods out , whether custom or purchased, Who sells them and company names so anyone who doesn`t want to build one would know where to go.

There has got to be tons out there on Awesome sleds whether mods or not.

pic,pic,pic, please.

wildcard28

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I've had both Diamond S and R&M Lighting mesh hoods as well as Mountain Fit and BR Tech Poly hoods. If you're not going stock, try to go with Diamond S if at all possible. It holds up the best to daily abuse and won't deform from laying on it's side like the other mesh hood. If you can't go mesh, get ahold of ModRods or 2Cool for some vents and vent up your stock hood as much as possible.
Diamond S ~ you can see the round alluminum frame and it holds up saweet!
Mysleds017.jpg

The R&M ~ you can't see, but they use flat alluminum strap that won't hold it's shape if you park on your lid or your side like I tend to :p
P1010041.jpg

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Here is what your looking for

MeshhoodS2000.jpg

I have a side view of it somewhere. Sorry this pic is not great. aluminum frame, mesh is from farm tech. It is a mesh for cattle barns. You can buy it in like up to 350ft lengths. Weighed 5 lbs. Now snow would go threw it. Hood was even throw a few hundred feet in a tornado and only suffered minor damage.

S
Dec 1, 2007
Norther Utah (Utard)
here is one in work. I'm using straps of heat treated aluminum. its a pain to cut and trim with the hand tools I have but its very "springy" and strong! it hold pressure well then when it gives it folds way down to the engine then pops back into position.

you spend alot of time getting them looking right(at least I did. this one is screwed together with self tapping screws then when it is all done I will rivet it. another trick I know of it to put silicone or RTV inbetween the overlaps before riveting, do that ANYTIME you are working with flat metal and your strength and rigidity are much better.

I will cover it with mesh cloth that I got from a friend I think it is vinyl coated garden shade material.

to hold the mesh in place I hear a good way is a plastic strip around the bottom. double sticky tape on the inside to hold the mesh in place then the plastic mold to lock it there, if you ever need to restretch and make it tight again, its easy to do!

spomey

DSCF0054.jpg DSCF0055.jpg DSCF0056.jpg

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
not much 80 buck total pet screen and flat aluminum with 1/2 aluminum tube for the bottom of the frame
0411091445.jpg

6.5 lbs with tac and light
0411091753.jpg

rolled over in the spring and just bent it back into place.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
RX1 Hood

I built mine about 4 years ago using aluminum flat strap, pop rivets, awning material from Ace Hardware and plastic coated edge material that I got at an upholstery shop. I built a jig so I could make them to sell but decided against it. It uses the stock hinge and rear rubber tie downs.

new hood 001-1.JPG new hood 002-1-2.JPG mesh hood-3.jpg

Last edited:
D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
You asked for it, you got it.
This is how I roll.

3058213621_20df68daf0_b.jpg

3212979122_504c87ec54.jpg

2984669499_854b67475e_b.jpg

Hood is light as a feather, engine is always cool, and if your stuck on a hillside you can roll it over.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Dmkhnr,

What did you cover that with?

Home depot pet screen.

I started by covering the main section of the hood, cutting out the headlight section so that the screen lays tight/flat across the rest of the hood. Leave 1" around headlight section.
I then laid the headlight section riveting under the windshield, and folding the screen around the bottom of the headlights overlapping the 1" section from the main hood.
The main section is folded under the bottom edge of the hood and rivet to hold it all in place.
I've made 3 of these hoods, each one getting better as I do them. I have 2 more crashed hoods that I can make these out of, and my stock hoods are hanging up in the garage and still look brand new.

Premium Features