• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk cluching on the turbo pro

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
Move your weights to the heel and middle hole. Load the heel the heaviest. Think of your weight as a sled hammer. A three foot sledge with a five pound head is hard to swing but has a heck of a punch once going. Move all the weight of the head towards your hand and you can move the sledge faster.
I also like the shallower side of the helix, makes for a much better backshift.

My pink spring was engaging at 38-3900 Would weight make that much of a difference.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
This weeks test:

1) team almond primary, 76 grams in heel and mid, 44-48 helix,black purple secondary spring 3 delrins...8200 @ 8-9 psi 100% av, 6500-7500 ft

2) team pink primary,78 grams,42-46 helix,black purple+3del, 8200 @10 psi same elevation.

So far I like the 42-46 helix better, but 40 would be a good start angle, but to run lower weight I'd like a 50 finish or so, this would allow me to run more boost with less weight.. got a custom helix coming fron team, will report back when I get it. I also think a .46 would be a better deal to allow turbo to spool a tad more before the load hits. IMHO the 44 start is to slow on the bottom, but I really like the 48 finish. We shall see . Oh I also am tending to like the team pink primary as well due to higher initial with a lesser finish, tried 320,330,345 and the 315 ish finish I like best.So far

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
My pink spring was engaging at 38-3900 Would weight make that much of a difference.

It will make a difference yes, how much though I dont know. Typically less weight equals higher engagement rpm, while more weight lowers you engagement. Primary springs being constant.

What I would like to try is a lime team primary spring. I think its a 165-265. to match it I would run either a red/black or a red/pink secondary spring. It would allow me to drop weight which I like. There is a huge difference in backshift between 80 grams and 75. If I could get down into the lower 70's and load it with a softer finish I "think" I would be happy. I am not sure how belts temps will be without the weight though...

Currently I am running the pink team primary, but I do not like it's start rate as it engages way to high for me. I am down to 73.5 grams of weight loaded heaviest in the heel. 42-46 helix black orange spring. 10lbs at 9000'. I like everything but the engagement. Seems to search a little to much on the soft snow but not too bad.

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
Something Justin is trying out... I was running the original adjustables that came with the 2011 Silber kit at 74.5 grams. With this new combo I'm pulling 8000-8100 at 12 lbs and seeing FULL shift out. The backshifting is a LITTLE slow but nothing I can really complain about. Before the switch to the Team weights and red/pink secondary I was about 3/4 of an inch from full shift. I am geared up one tooth on the top so that may have been my problem. I'm really happy with the new setup. Pulls HARD from start to finish, no problems picking my way through tight technical areas, no problems with over rev from stabbing the throttle on letoffs... this thing is an absolute rocket, the most fun sled I have ever owned hands down.

How are you loading the weights?

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Can someone explain why the turbos are running a 42 or 44 start(42-46 , 44-48)?

When a stock helix is 56-42 I think and most clutch kits for pro are 60-62 starts?

Why such low angle when power in the 4-6krpm range is similar stock vs turbo.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
It is because the power is actually somewhat less than stock until the turbo spools up, think how a stock sled runs with the exhaust plugged up. The low initial helix angle allows the clutch a easy start and boost to build, then with a turbo sled the power comes on hard, this is where the steep angle allows the clutch to "hold " the power. If not for the large top angle you would need to much weight in the primary and the secondary may slip,ect. Its the classic problem with a turbo and we are basicly trying to eliminate turbo lag. likewise with the high primary spring pressure..get the r's up quick.
Look at a high hp na sled (true 200hp) my helix in that is like 54/50 cause it makes so much torque down low I can pull that angle. Put a 50 start in a turbo and it would be a roach till you got on boost.

New helix arrived today from team and with 22" fresh powder last night its ridin time today...we shall see how it works.

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
The only problem with running the 42-46 helix or such is that in a drag race situation it will be a littel slower than lets say a straight deg helix. After running a straight helix for a few years I give the drivability to the multi angle and the acceleration to the straight one.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
The only problem with running the 42-46 helix or such is that in a drag race situation it will be a littel slower than lets say a straight deg helix. After running a straight helix for a few years I give the drivability to the multi angle and the acceleration to the straight one.

Absolutely. You have to decide what you are clutching it for. Most on here are clutching for a good mountain setup. In clutching you cant have your cake and eat it too.
It was always fun to see guys bring there mountain setups to the drag races and wonder why they got the butts spanked. No need for a backshift in drag racing.....

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Well todays test was a good one because we had 2-3 feet soft fresh powder and a great base..rode all day..im tired..lol anyhow todays setup

team orange primary spring 165-315 ish
75 grams
new helix 40 / 50 .40
team red black secondary spring

well I really liked the new helix a lot, problem today was the red black spring is not enough so I was blowing through the secondary and that sucked so back to the stiffer secondary spring...but it was a good try none the less.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Sorry, started with 9 pounds....but reduced to 5 as I did not want to destroy the belt with the sliping secondary and the snow was just to good not to ride all day.

I think the 40/50 helix will work great at 10 psi and correct springs

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Well todays test was a good one because we had 2-3 feet soft fresh powder and a great base..rode all day..im tired..lol anyhow todays setup

75 grams
new helix 40 / 50 .40

well I really liked the new helix a lot, problem today was the red black spring is not enough so I was blowing through the secondary and that sucked so back to the stiffer secondary spring...but it was a good try none the less.

How did you like that primary spring?

Which secondary spring are you going back too?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut

75 grams
new helix 40 / 50 .40

So you think the start rate was too soft, or the finish, or both? Good info by the way!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
orange primary worked pretty good, i would still like a lower enguagement but may have to live with a higher one

I think the red black was to light all around, I will try the black orange and the black purple with the 50 helix next at 10 psi, It will be interesting to see how that affects the primary weight,

we may just be at a point that you have to run heavy springs and weights for belt pressure, and live with a slightly doggy bottom end..:face-icon-small-dis

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
Ok this is what i came up with and will be trying this weekend if i can get out.. i want to run less weight when i run more boost. Right now im running 79 grams and only 8 psi so its going to start getting lazy if i want to run more boost. So hopefully and i say that because i really do hate clutching lol this combo works

orange/silver from slp 170 300 primary and also have the pink
team gold/ black 170 240 or black/ yellow 180/ 260
the helix i had custom cut 42 52 40 and other cut was 40 50 40
team rooster weights

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Looking forward to hearing the results ez!

2xm3 - how did you find the black/purple? Was that enough or still need more spring?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
black purple worked good with the 42/46 helix, tried the 44/48 and it (I think) was "on the edge" at 9 pounds. Tried the gold black as well, slightly better.

At 5-6 pounds the clutching works pretty well, EZ is totally correct, when you crank the boost up is when its getting pretty darn trickey..to hold the 10 pound level with the 42/44 I was up to 82 grams in the primary..not good

I'm also looking at lesser pressure in the primary finish..it will be nice to see ez's data on this. We have the same helix,so thats good

May actually try loading the tip of the weight ...experment as well

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
Ok this is what i came up with and will be trying this weekend if i can get out.. i want to run less weight when i run more boost. Right now im running 79 grams and only 8 psi so its going to start getting lazy if i want to run more boost. So hopefully and i say that because i really do hate clutching lol this combo works

orange/silver from slp 170 300 primary and also have the pink
team gold/ black 170 240 or black/ yellow 180/ 260
the helix i had custom cut 42 52 40 and other cut was 40 50 40
team rooster weights

You can go with a epi ps9 170/280 that would allow you to run less weight.

Premium Features