• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 85SX Snow Bike

J
Dec 10, 2021
Norway
Hi, I have a ktm 85sx that i have been using as a dirtbike. I like its small size. My question is, is it possible to run a snowbike kit on it? I will maybe sometimes be going into pretty heavy snow. I saw that the timbersled Ripper is a cheap and small track that would fit my bike nicely. I am still wondering if its a good idea on a 85 sx and where to buy the instalation kits.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
How old and tall is the kid… ripper will be fine in a few inches of snow … then there is the issue of carb heating and wrapping your engine… I know my boy just started on a big bike by 11… the power is not an issue in the snow. He would just have to stop against a tree and would need help lifting the bike if he fell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
Dec 10, 2021
Norway
How old and tall is the kid… ripper will be fine in a few inches of snow … then there is the issue of carb heating and wrapping your engine… I know my boy just started on a big bike by 11… the power is not an issue in the snow. He would just have to stop against a tree and would need help lifting the bike if he fell.

He is 13 and is around 170. The issue with getting the bike up is not big one, I would be close and watching him. Norway and where I ride specifically it can get over 3 feet of snow, so is a bigger bike like 500 needed?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
We used a YZ 250 but you could use anything from a 250 to 450 2/4 stroke. At 170 pounds you should more than fine. My sons 14 now and that weight and might move to the 450 …

And this is abbot 2 years ago

J
Dec 10, 2021
Norway
We used a YZ 250 but you could use anything from a 250 to 450 2/4 stroke. At 170 pounds you should more than fine. My sons 14 now and that weight and might move to the 450 …

And this is abbot 2 years ago

This does seem really fun. The problem for me mainly is that I couldnt ride a 450 normally and maybe not a 250. I am 50kg and 170 so very light. The other problem is that it has to be a 4 stroke so i can drive it legally. Would a 250 work well in a meter ish of snow? And how much would a belt and bike cost total? Also if it tips over and my dad isnt there could i manage to flip it up if brough a wartchet strap of sorts? The thing i am most scared of is getting the bike stuck in 2m of snow. If that happens on a 250 could i get it out at all?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
For that weight a 250 will do everything a 450 will do . My wife ran a four stroke for a season without issue… they are just ran harder. I even rode it from time to time and I am 230 pounds … we live in Utah so normally we get deep light snow… up high 700 inches or more a year… I think those are your only options in that depth and 85 is out. As far as flipping it we normally roll them down the hill if it is too steep.

Premium Features