• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Kmod, Timber os EZ-ryde?

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Wyo,

What don't you like about the conversion? Is it just the stock shocks and want to go with the Raptors? Do you think a conversion with the Raptor shocks would work as good as the full skid?

I love the conversion, for the money it can't be beat. What I mean by conversion / I run the KMOD skid, ( arm, rails everything) but I had the stock shocks converted. Its cheaper and works, I just think the raptors would be a huge upgrade. The bad thing about the stock shocks is you can only do so much to make them work, and the valving I have will bottom out if you land on the tail or go through really big trail bumps fast (partly because of the 2 gal of gas I carry on the tail) My revalved stock skid works a little better on the real rough trails at high speeds at low speed its about the same, but who cares about trails. If you make big drops (40+ft) I would not recommend the basic conversion, but with the raptors it may be different. Its not bad enough to complain but it is there, I just slow down a little. I could get the valving changes so it wont bottom but it will change other characteristics which for the way I ride would be worse. The raptor are such a better shock they don't do it. As for just the basic conversion, I went from out of control to loving life. Even in a wheelie I feel in control. If anyone has ever watch schooled or schooled again - there isn't anything I saw in those vids I can't do or havent done, not saying I ride like a bad As$, but every time I ride there is at least once I pull something off that would not be possible without this skid.

I have pretty much decided when I get a new PC 800 it will get the full on KMOD and I will just transfer it from one sled to another seeing how this new chassis will be around for a while and in the long run wont be as expensive as it seems.

I can't speak for the Ez-Ryde but other than that any other skid on boost is a waste in my mind.

Monty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wet Coast
Heard the KMOD has a tendency to ratchet easier then the rest, not saying I know this for a fact but just something I've heard from others

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I use the Timber on my boosted Dragon and it finally keeps the front end down and the ride is wayy better than the stock skid cant speek of the others as Have not tried them,,, and the TS was pretty easy to dial in once I understood the coupling points

W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
Heard the KMOD has a tendency to ratchet easier then the rest, not saying I know this for a fact but just something I've heard from others

i have the kmod, and it does ratchet easier, but only in heavier snow, you can tighten the track up and suck up the limiter straps to get it to stop doing this, also increase air in rear shock.
since i did this it is not ratcheting nearly as much..
in powder i never had it ratchet at all, but heavy spring snow when you start digging in it will ratchet a bit, or really slow hard turns...
all in all when i have had a question for kevin, he has helped me get it setup every time, kevin and Bud are awesome to deal with, and the kmod skid is exceptional.......
i did the conversion kit,
i rode the skid on a non boosted sled as well, terrific!!!!!
i would highly recommend the skid, if you have a boosted/non boosted sled, its the way to go as far as i'm concerned.

thanks kmod for a top notch product!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The skid does ratchet easier because the front of the skid is allowed to come up when the rear is down and it doesn't swing the skid backward to keep the track tight so you have to run the track pretty tight, so it gets looser when you ride unlike the stock track that starts loose and tightens when the suspension is compressed. Just don't install it to loose and let it ratchet, I would recommend taking the right tools to tighten the track on the hill and if it does it at all tighten it a little, you don't want to screw up your drivers.

T

TheOneBigMike

Jan 31, 2010
Great setup for the big guys

My vote goes to kmod. My dealings with Kevin have showed nothing but excellent customer service. I drove down to Firth, ID to pick up my skid personally. When i arrived he already had my skid built, hanging on the wall. He built me a very strong skid... 174" Ice age rails, chrome arms, anodized rails, four wheel kit etc. I can say confidently that it's a thing of beauty. I weigh in at 420lbs and the raptor shocks in the rear work excellent. Easy to tune, and amazingly I have only bottomed out this skid twice since I've gotten it.

I also own a 174" mountain tamer with fox floats. It's an excellent product as well, but does not handle the boost with a nose down attitude like the kmod.

I will also be getting rid of my z-bros front end in exchange for a set of the new raptor fronts.

Bottom line, if I ever need another skid, I'll be calling Kevin first thing.

Mike

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
I have had two of the tree skids in question as well as stock skids under an TM1000. The stock skid was by far the worst at controlling any king of transfer with any boost level above 6psi. I then switched to the Timbersled skid and was still unable to control ski lift above 10psi which is evident in a climb caught on film in 509 Evolution where I looped out in a chute that wasn't steep enough to warrant a loop out. I took the whole sled to Allan and told him to do what ever it took to fix it. That's where the R&D for his updated skid mounting locations began. It worked.....kind of. It would hold the skis down without question in a climb. The issue was that it coupled so hard that it would not allow for line adjustments mid climb due to being a rigid coupling. After fighting that for another season, I bought a KMOD with Raptor coilovers and this skid has proven to be the best of all worlds for me. Super sweet ride on the trail, quickly adjustable, and (unfortunately for my pocket book) upgrade able shocks. I now want the new clicker piggy back shocks after having ridden one.
I will say that at the time, Allan was as helpful as he could be for the design that we were working with on my T-sled skid and his customer service is TOP NOTCH! I have also heard that he has a completely new design coming out for next year which could level the playing field a bit.
Kevin from KMOD is also another bench mark for customer service that others in the industry should strive for. If he doesn't answer your call, it's probably because he's out testing and he WILL get back to you shortly.
I can't speak to the EZ Ryde because I have only seen them work, just never owned one myself. The weight of the skid is what kept me away from them initially.
I would also add that from what I have seen, the Timbersled works better and is more forgiving on the 800's than on the 1000's both being boosted applications. I'm thinking this is because of a HP/TQ out put difference between the two at comparable boost levels. Again, this is just what I have experienced personally and I'm sure there are others out there that have had other experience one way or the other. Enjoy the journey :D

m1200 side.JPG Tdayride.jpg PC300021.JPG

B

bigtwin

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for all the recommendations)
Have just ordered me a complete KMOD skid with raptor clicker and Ice Age rails.
I think that must be a good choice after all KMOD recommendations! :)

Premium Features