• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Jetting Need Some Help Before the Snow Flies

A
Jan 21, 2014
I have a 2012 Ktm 450sxf, not fuel injected. I ride 9-11k ft, rabbit ears area and I am wondering what has been working for you with jetting? I just got back from riding up to about 12,500 feet and it ran but was stalling a lot. I'm wondering if it might be jetted correctly as it is because I'll be riding slightly less elevation and the air will be air colder and denser?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Ive always heard good things about jd jetting. You could probably call them and get a setup for the summer and a good baseline for snowbiking in the winter. 4 strokes aren't to picky when it comes to jetting so you might want to just try cleaning the carb good and making sure the air/fuel screw is 1.5 to 2 turns out

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Can't say the JD kit was spot on for my TE by any means... but I'd think on a 450 it should be close enough. I just don't think ANYONE has great jetting for where we ride (my summer riding starts at 9, and I was over 13k just a few hours ago...)

Andrew, I thought Bill said you had sold that 12 & were getting a new one? I must be confused. Need to get out with you this winter. (Bill should have one soon too!)

A
Jan 21, 2014
Can't say the JD kit was spot on for my TE by any means... but I'd think on a 450 it should be close enough. I just don't think ANYONE has great jetting for where we ride (my summer riding starts at 9, and I was over 13k just a few hours ago...)

Andrew, I thought Bill said you had sold that 12 & were getting a new one? I must be confused. Need to get out with you this winter. (Bill should have one soon too!)

Yeah actually had a 13 with a recluse on it, but for some reason we couldn't get that clutch to stay in adjustment, well when the snow is falling I don't have time to screw around with not getting back to the truck so I sold the bike and got a new doo. Needless to say the doo didn't fit my riding style at all coming from cats and a pro(just had too c how I liked it). First chance I got to get a deal on a bike I got one. Picked up a low mileage m series as a backup and for when the snow is really deep, so I'm good to go for the year. Yeah ide love to ride with you sometime, we are riding spring creek, tiger run, the ears, and vpass on occasion. Usually week days end up being the best for me.

Premium Features