• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park - Could not believe what I saw!

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
It was the next day after the guy was already recovered!

IT WAS NOT DURING THE SEARCH!

These people were not in any way a part of any search......

And yes it was on the same hill that slid, the west part of the hill already slid, but the eastern part of that same hill had not yet slid.......

I don't think I made myself clear on the first post, sorry about that...........

i thought your post was real clear...!!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Are you f*cking kidding me!? People never cease to amaze me!

Jeff that is simply amazing! Again idiots never cease to amaze me. I am quite aware of that slide...I was riding near by the day before. We stayed away from risky areas.

Jeff how long you gonna be here? We were supposed to ride a few years back remember? We are heading to Kilgore on Tues...you wanna come? Much better than IP and it isn't far from there.

MPS

We just got back from our trip..........

Kilgore has some great tree stuff and our tracks are the ones you will see when you get there........

We unloaded at the last parking lot before the road is not plowed anymore, and rode in from there.....

Yep, we got to get together and ride next year for sure.:beer;:beer;

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I have lost a friend in an Avy. and I still find myself tempted to and sometimes riding in areas that may be unsafe. It's just TOUGH sometimes.....the appeal and temptation of some fresh deep is like going into a strip club and only being able to look at the ugly girls, having to turn your head when the pretty ones come out. Ride safe people.

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN
Which one do you guys call windshield hill? Is it the one where if you drop off Reas Peak to the north, down the chute, go straight across the valley floor towards Jefferson, to the first steep hill on the north side of the valley? Happened left, or west of that one???

A few statements I've heard come to mind here that a few people here have touched on...

"Todays sleds will get you places you've got no business being."

And from the Snowest IP Rally avy class a few years ago, "One of the best indicators of avalanche danger, is evidence of other previous slides in the area."

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Here's a couple of pics from another site. The guy was in IP last week and took these photos.

That was not where the death occured.

It was on the opposite side of Jefferson, to the left side or west of Windshield hill.

I have some actual pics of the avvie from a distance that I will put up when I get a chance.......

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Which one do you guys call windshield hill? Is it the one where if you drop off Reas Peak to the north, down the chute, go straight across the valley floor towards Jefferson, to the first steep hill on the north side of the valley? Happened left, or west of that one???

That is exactly where it happened. To the west of Windshield hill

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
I heard people who WERE in an Avy just 30 mins before this one (one dude was buried up to his waist) pulled up and saw the rescue effort...they sat with their sleds pointed up hill on the debris pile...ate some sammiches while they watch the CPR. Didn't offer to help and then began banging on a hill around the corner.

wow, what a holes

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Please read the avy reports.

yeah, pretty sure if you saw somebody die in an avalance on a hillside, i DOUBT you would be up there the next week pounding the unslide top of the chute, if so, good luck, hopefully natural selection only takes you.

it is really scary some of the stuff i have seen with marks on it. lucky we dont have much snow, and most is rock hard from all the warm, so were pretty safe, just sucks to ride on!!

From what I have learned from the avy reports is that the warm weather we have had is doing nothing to bond the layer of weak faceted snow near the ground to the rest of the snowpack. This misconception can give people a false sense of security. According to the experts there is some stability in the snowpack, but if it does slide it is likely to slide huge. This layer will be around for the rest of the season, so please be careful folks.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Is what you are calling Windshield Hill the first drainage west of the Jefferson Peak?

Jefferson_area_To_North.jpg

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
It's info like JeffC and Dartos gave that helps nonlocals know what the heck you guys are talking about. Seems like everyone has different names for places.

I am not a local either, but after going out to I.P since 1989, I almost feel like I could be..........

Rain Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2002
Brainerd,MN
Ok, yup, that's the hill I was thinking of then. Guess we always go up windshield hill, then up the east side of Jefferson. Never really poked around that west side chute much before.

Premium Features