• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is fogging the engine really needed...

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I’m an airplane guy, and the forums would have you believe that periods of inactivity are the death knell of our antiquated engines. Simply not true. I do agree that starting and running for a minute is a bad practice. I won’t even move my cars unless I’m going to drive them somewhere. My polaris’, Hondas, huskys, **** even the Malibu starts after being neglected all winter. I think the key is non ethanol fuel.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I store in a garage or enclosed trailer. Dry climate. Start every couple months and let them run until the thermostats open and rear heat exchanger gets warm or temp on the dash gets up.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have fogged, not fogged, started periodically, never started, or any combination thereof over the years. Haven't had any issues any which way....I think you're safe to call it a "best practice." In my head I am less worried about it in a 2-stroke, as there is oil all through the thing any time it's run. I was more religious with it in my boats because 4-stroke, no opportunity to start it in the winter and...water? I dunno...that's how my brain worked anyways.

Premium Features