• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I need everyone's help, how do we send Polaris the Message?

S
Jan 26, 2010
Okay guys bear with me-
I don’t want to start this thread to sound negative or complain. My purpose for this is for others who have had engine problems to chime in and let “Mother Polaris” be reminded of problems that they know they have but won’t address. If you haven’t had problems don’t accuse those of us who have of trying to stir the pot and give the Pro a tarnished image. That’s not what I want- The chassis is great it needs a powertrain to compliment it and I’m calling Polaris out to give us one. So here’s my rant if you want to read. From 1996 to now my dad, brother and me all together have owned combined- 96 500 Sportsman, 98 500 Sportsman, 2005 800 Sportsman, 2011 850 Sportsman, 2-2005 500 Predators, 2-2007 525 Outlaw’s, a 98 400 and 2001 500 Scrambler, 08 800 RZR and 2012 RZR 900XP. In the snow machine department, 2 2003 VE 800’s, 2 2008 dragon 800’s, 2 2011 Pro 800’s, 2 2012 Pro 800’s. My point to listing these machines is to illustrate we bleed Polaris as a family. I’m not a Doo or Cat guy trying to start crap (they are good sleds I don’t hate). Both the Vertical Escapes (stock) had the bearing issue and had to be rebuilt, the Dragons (stock) blew 5 motors each, the 2011’s (stock) blew 1 motor each, and now the (they have a can and vent kits) 2012 Pro’s---- Each at the shop with motors. That’s 16 Polaris sled engines that we’ve been through. Since the VE’s and Dragons are yesterday’s news that Polaris left us to “EAT” (thanks Polaris) let’s talk about the Pro. I have a list of things to consider, what do you all think that Polaris needs to hear to get a hint on what they need to change??? Here’s my ideas-
We need reliability, the 800 CFI is not reliable it’s a band aided Dragon motor. If this wasn’t the case why does Indy Dan, MTNTK, RK TEK, and other aftermarket companies offer “The Fix”. Why is SLP saying add oil with your gas and turn up the pump? Also If reliability wasn’t an issue why is this snowest Pro Ride forum starting to sound like the “Dragon” section? Really now we have an engine Poll going on for reliability? That says something. This is because as these motors get miles their “true colors” are starting to show. For those of you that got 1500 miles and no issues great, but, when did 1500 miles become some great reliable high mile standard? It isn’t! We should expect more out of a sub $13,000 sled! More things to think about, read the Turbo section I love how the turbo guys diss the 800 CFI compared to the other brands on not being able to add more boost because the weak Polaris motor won’t stay together. I’m tired of Polaris’s “Dog and Pony Show” of “We tested the new 2011 Pro Engine for 110,000 miles, and we went to Peru and rode production sleds”. If so why the issues that are becoming more prevalent??? Polaris knows there’s a problem, case in point warranty work. I would love it if someone on here knows what they spent in warranty repair last year and shared it to us all? I bet it was a bunch. Anyone notice this year, especially, Polaris is stricter on warranty, taking pictures of everything, waiting long durations on time of approval, why? Because they know if you sneeze their engine will break. I’m fighting right now a can, really a can (should have been dishonest and lied)! Polaris is your engine that weak a can will put out the 1 extra horsepower and break a skirt??? Since I’m talking warranty just to let everyone know case halves are still on back order. My down time on the Retro sled will be over 5 weeks this week. What good is a warranty when 1/3 of the riding time is lost? That Fancy Pro Ride chassis does nothing sitting in the shop with a blown motor because warranty takes so long to approve and the 800’s are blowing up that case halves are on back order (that’s what the dealer told me why it’s taking so long…).
We need Power here People. Polaris give us the costumer a motor that kills the competition. I mean kills it. During the unveil of the 13 everyone was saying “A power bump” would be Friday’s big bomb drop, reread the forums if you don’t remember, how many people were disappointed by this not happening. I’ve read too many posts by the A/C and Doo guys saying they love the Pro but a weak and unreliable motor sways them not to buy. Read these forums, why does the Cat guy say put a Suki in a Pro and you got something, Doo guys say put an E-TEC in a Pro and you have something. I read PV’s opinion of his demo ride on the new XM, sounds solid, but more concerning is the number of responses of Doo guys that bought a Pro, read the XM handles like a Pro and now want to go back to Doo for the engine. More power to them and why not??? I have ridden both the E-TEC and SUKI they rip and their chassis is heavier than the Pro what gives Polaris??? For those who feel they don’t need more power out of the 800 buy a 600 next time. Last year at the hill climbs for Kings a 600 stock Ski Doo being piloted by Luke Rainey made it to the top. It took Keith Curtis on a turbo to best that. I guarantee Keith Curtis, Chris Burant, Dan Adams, and others won’t mind a little power bump so it’s time for Polaris to come out with a new mill that really meets the expectation of a true mountain rider, we need reliability, durability, class leading power, run ability, and class leading fuel consumption. People get tired of spending 1800$ to 2500$ on 858 BB, SLP stage 3 and 4’s, just to get the sled up to the competitions power. Polaris quit raising your prices, we all will be priced out of this sport, we get tired of stripping off our shocks for real ones, putting Team Tieds on to hold better RPM’s and putting other aftermarket parts on that work better. Here’s an Idea, don’t put your stuff on the sled, deduct the price or just start using better components from the get go. My point- it took you till 2013 to figure out the Air Frame style of running board is what it takes to evacuate the snow. So many people spend big bucks to upgrade your poor engineering. Please listen to us the mountain customer and deliver what we need. The days of riding a long track trail sled and calling it a mountain sled are over or at least that’s what I thought.
I hope everyone sees where I’m coming from. I’m writing this so we all have a better sled. I don’t want to make waves but it’s time for Polaris to really listen to use the mountain rider. I don’t think a company “With 2010 annual sales of $1.99 billion” should have a hard time filling our requests of a stronger better engine. It is 2012 and technology has come a long way. In closing, I can tell you this much I’ve rode the new 2013 and yes it rides and handles better but with the same 800 CFI I won’t buy another. It’s not enough to sway me; I need reliability and more engine. And all the hype on Polaris 2013 “You Tube”, it’s just that, hype. Your 11 and 12 will run with the 13. A 2012 SLP stage 3 killed the 13 up a deep steep hill. Not impressive for the 13, but imagine if that 13 came stock with more reliable power??? Now how many people would be for that?????? Are you listening “Mother Polaris”??????????

I need to add this so people won't feel I'm trying to lie to them, as sledr900 brought up two stage 3's were added earlier in the year. Yes both 12's had stage three’s on them. That post sledr900 brought up was either late Jan or early Febish. Since that time both stage 3’s have been taken off because of all the ramblings of motor issues and we both experienced our 11’s go down, we both felt warranty was more important than the added power, I didn’t lie they are stock at the time this was written (should have said once had stage 3). CRFfred- I’m not trying to deceive you or anyone else. So everyone that's mad at me for not including that from the get go I do apologize I wasn't trying to deceive anyone. That’s why I’m adding this, by saying so. Warranty will be done I talked to the dealer as the machines are back to stock (they aren’t worried about the can that’s cleared) When they are fixed I am more than happy to show the repair order so everyone knows I’m not trying to deceive them. If you feel that the stage threes with little mileage on them made the machines go down that’s fine don’t put a Stage 3 on. I on the other hand feel that the Polaris motor is subpar and will fail with or without the stage three. Also once you ride the Pro with the power Polaris should be giving us maybe some of you will thank the small majority of us that are trying to get a more reliable more powerful engine. With all this being said and to what has been posted I do appreciate everyone’s comments good or bad. For those that say just don’t buy Polaris and hit them with your pocket book to help them wake up… I feel we get more accomplished as a group voicing our experiences versus being an individual.
To those who say buy another brand, I’m not a hater on Polaris, I love Polaris, I’m on your side, I’m just trying to make our brand better by voicing my opinions from what I’ve experienced. My point in all this is to get a better product. Businesses are like government if we the people don’t hold them accountable then they will do as they please. Sorry for trying to make Polaris better, delete this post if that helps more.

Last edited:

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
Stock?

I pulled this from another thread you posted in. It looks like your 2012's have more than just a can. I am not defending Polaris, but I would not put any mods on a Polaris 800 with their past history.

"As for the V Force Reeds right now they are very problematic. My brother and I have two stage three Pro's. Both machines are 2012. One machine went through reeds at 380 miles and the other at 420 miles. V Force knows there is a problem. Call their warranty and talk to Jeff. They will make right. They sent in 5 reeds for durability testing on Monday 2/6. They think in two weeks time they should know which reeds to use. My brother and I are helping test for them, we'll see just how well the new reeds are? If you are using them and are wondering if yours are "going out" your machine will probably idle so low that it won't even turn the instrument panel on until it gets a little throttle. Then a mid range stumble will happen then if they get bad enough there won't be any top end. This was the symptoms on our two machines. Thought it was a TPS but turned out to be reeds. Oh and we love our stage three probably are going to a stage 4 but need to ride the 2013 first!"

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wow, no wonders your pissed....no warranty for you. Anyhow I would have felt bad for you if ur 2012 sleds were stock. All I have to say is don't try to mislead people..This thread should be deleted.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a 2010 Rzr S that has 1700 turbo miles on it, A turbo 2007 RMK 660 with 4500 miles and just sold a 2012 turbo pro with 500 miles on it. The only problem I had was a failed exhaust sensor between the 3...and it was covered under warranty. I am sure they have had some bad apples, especially with the dragon 800's but as a whole they seem to be fine.

The aftermarket will always find a way to "fix" things. They are not restrained by the same cost factors as the OEM. Nobody want to pay 18,000 for a sled but will gladly upgrade one and spend the 18,000:face-icon-small-coo

The OEMS try but they don't have the benefit of hindsight like the aftermarket guys. It may take them a year or two to improve something where the aftermarket can have it done in weeks. The OEMS have much more liability so they are very thorough in testing because one faulty part on 20,000 sleds is a huge loss. I also think the OEM's leave room for the aftermarket to prosper. Dealers dont keep their doors open selling sleds, they make it on "aftermarket" Polaris seems to be the only one putting all the "aftermarket" parts on from the factory:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
The man brings up valid points. Polaris wants to make money, they know the 800 engine is a turd but they are selling them as fast as they can make them. Warrenty work costs them money, so to make more money they deny every possible warrenty claim they can, hence the 0 tolerence policy on mods, any mods. The only thing that gets a corporations attention is MONEY until the sales of there product drop it will be buisness as usual. You want there attention?? don't buy there product.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Mother Polaris is listening and in response added the low inertia drive system and carbon fiber frame componets and cool new seats and storage areas to the mix. Remember you add the aftermarket stuff only for your personal needs, if you do it to try to match the other guy then that is racing. And we all know racing voids any and all warranties.

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
My whole family USED to live and die Polaris. Not so much anymore. Engine problems scared us away. In my short 20 years, we have had an 86 indy 400 (11,000 miles was still going strong when we got rid of it in 2009) 98 600 XC, 99 700 RMK, 01 700 RMK, 04 800 RMK, 05 900 RMK and I have an 11 800 Pro.

Most of the sleds were great and a lot of fun! But 4/7 had major motor issues. Let me start with the 04 800 RMK. It had just over 1000 miles and the crank broke in half. Took both cylinders and pistons. Somehow got it warrantied, (warranty was up a few months before). About 800 miles later, same thing happend. Would have been more to fix than the sled was worth. I don't need to go into too much detail about my 05 900. Everybody and their dog knows about them. But I lost pistons, a cylinder, and a lower rod bearing all on different occasions. Not to mention the ECU and some other annoying stuff. Then our 99 700 RMK's crank also snapped. I thought that was the most bullet proof engine polaris made. I know not every engine is perfect but it's frustrating. All of these sleds were bone STOCK! My 900 had a pipe and thats it. Needless to say, My dad and I both bought M8s and we got two M7s for the rest of the family to ride. Only problem I had on my cat was rollers in my clutch, but that can be expected for 3000 miles :)

I swore I would never own another Polaris.... until I rode the Pro. It was such a fun sled and they had a great first year with not so many motor problems, so I bought a used 11. Well currently my Pro is sitting in my garage with a blown motor. Piston ring blew out and took out the cylinder. My warranty was up in January. But my dealer is still seeing if Polaris will do anything. Sled was bone stock, except for a wrap. I love how the sled rides thats why I'm probably going to snowcheck a 13, but right now I'm still pissed at Polaris.. I really don't want to give them 12 grand until they figure out how to build a freaking motor. What we should really do is not buy their 800 sleds, but theres no way that will happen.

So people that say these Pros don't have motor problems, don't know what they are talking about. Polaris has NEVER built a decent, reliable 800 motor.

This picture is what I pulled out of my pro.

StupidPolaris.jpg

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
cant help ya,switched brands years ago.i do have some blown engine poos in the backyard.the grey squirrels like em.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
It happens to all Manufacturers. Here is one for Snowmobiler and fredw, this is my old 860BB. Just happened to a freind of mine that bought the sled from me. Real ****ty for an engine with 2500km on it. It was a rod bearing failure. Oh and the e-tec has the same rod bearings. tic, toc, or maybe not. Ya never know when a 2 stroker is going pile up.

picture239n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

picture233.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

picture234y.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
J

Jigga99

Jan 25, 2012
Its a two stroke it's gonna happen at some point. Every case is diff gas oil elevation, that's why you buy extended warranty, if you don't like it buy a four stroke vary simple, you have to pay to play!

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
although you make some valid points, and polaris does have some tolerance issues with their motors (i lost a cylinder skirt around 2000 miles), there is more to it than just deciding to make a better/stronger motor. without making excuses money, tooling, bottom line, epa (that's a BIG one), etc all play a roll. if you really want to make a point the best thing to do, as they say, is vote with your wallet. all three manufactures make nice sleds. BUT... all three manufactures have and have had issues/problems (regardless of what snowmodumbass and freddie boy spout). yes i rode the xm, yes i was very impressed with it compared to the rev/xp platform. but i only rode it one day in ideal snow conditions. how it handles in other snow conditions might change my opinion (i doubt it) but it is still a first year sled and you never know what issues might pop up when it gets into consumer hands and they don't have the detail into them that comes with putting them together by hand. hopefully not. even though i was quite impressed with the xm i did not cancel my polaris snow check. (wow, this got way to long...)

pc

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I think your exceptions are way too low. A modern 2 stroke should go at least 3000 miles, and then all you should need to do is replace pistons. There is no way cylinder skirts should be breaking off with regularity at 1200 miles. 13% failure rate in 1 year and most under 1500 lots around 500, this is not right and if you think its fine they your part of the problem.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
I think your exceptions are way too low. A modern 2 stroke should go at least 3000 miles, and then all you should need to do is replace pistons. There is no way cylinder skirts should be breaking off with regularity at 1200 miles. 13% failure rate in 1 year and most under 1500 lots around 500, this is not right and if you think its fine they your part of the problem.

There are multiple threads about the skirt issue. There is a fix for it.

Y

Yamahog

Feb 13, 2011
Washington state
Why would they change anything when everyone continues to buy them. It was said already in this very thread:
I love how the sled rides thats why I'm probably going to snowcheck a 13, but right now I'm still pissed at Polaris.. I really don't want to give them 12 grand until they figure out how to build a freaking motor. What we should really do is not buy their 800 sleds, but theres no way that will happen.

So people that say these Pros don't have motor problems, don't know what they are talking about. Polaris has NEVER built a decent, reliable 800 motor.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
Is this fix backed by polaris and is it warrantied.

Nope it's for the guy that has done his/her homework and takes it upon themselves to increase the odds (2 stroke) for a problem free season. Is Cat perfect? I see you ride a Cat. Point is every manufacturer has thier issues. Unless you want to ride a 4 stroke, which most of us in the Pro section dont.

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO

Where do you get your 13% failure statistic?

Premium Features