• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I can't get used to expert small grips

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I would buy a set of the small bars with or without the brp stock sticky performance grips installed .

53xRacer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 24, 2011
Hey guys,

As a couple of others have stated, I think that it mostly comes down to your hand size on the handlebar diameter preference. I have big hands and wear 2x-3x gloves depending on the brand. I installed oversized grips on my SX-F 450 KTM and it greatly reduced arm pump.

I had the dealer install the doo performance grips on my ’21 Expert Turbo because the factory grips are pathetic and have no grip. I rode one day with the performance grips and hated them- they’re too small for my hands. I had a set of the larger diameter ODI snow ruffians in the trailer that I’ve run on several previous sleds and installed them for the next day’s ride and they felt great.

The very end of the grips did start twisting some on the small bar ends when fully heated up. I removed them and added a couple wraps of 3M Glass Cloth Electrical Tape 27 over the ends of the heater elements and re-installed the grips. This is a high temperature rated fiberglass cloth electrical tape that also added additional grip for the rubber grip. This fixed the grip slip when fully heated up.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
Not sure how I'm gonna like the smaller bars & grip, gonna give it a try if don't like itbI install CFR Backcountry 2.0's and Odi grips I took off my 14' Summit Xm.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
So when replacing grips do you use anything like grip glue to slide them on or just try to use air?
Both, but make sure your helper doesn't get a faceload of glue. :):):) Pre-850 sleds that I owned had grips that would get hard and slippery halfway through the season. I would replace them with aftermarket that were grippy, but could only get a few hundy miles out of them before they wore through. I would change them on the sled deck, 3M contact cement to get them on, razor blade (carefully) to get them off.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
I have really bad tennis elbow on the left arm and the smaller the grip the worse it is. Last year on the Expert was atrocious. Going to go these different grips and see if it helps. Devil, I do remember the old slick grips :) Those were horrible, absolutely horrible.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I couldn't figure out why I rode worse as the year went on! I can remember a late season ride with a bunch of guys, feeling very sketchy riding, I realized it was because I couldn't hold on. I borrowed a knife and literally cut up the grips for traction.
I really cannot tell a difference between the small and large grips, but I have small hands, so either works for me. As long as they are not slick.

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
I installed the skidoo deep snow grips. Helped a bit but my hands still hurt some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Has anyone replaced their handlebars on their Expert? If so, I would be willing to buy them as I bent mine yesterday.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com
I got few good rides in on my 22' Summit X with the stock smaller diameter bars even installed the new skidoo powder grips and I notice my hands hurt after rideing hard, yes probably squeezeing harder but with med warmth gloves like 509 back country gloves (my favorites) or bit thicker Fly gloves it feels more uncomfortable, I wear my lighter skidoo Xcross gloves My hands dont hurt as much but my hands get to cold i. Light gloves. On my Xm Iiked the Cfr backcountry 2.0 bars really well and stock grips were to slippery but on that sled my hands wouldnt hurt like the gen4 but they cramp so I put Odi Ruffians on and that helped. Probably gonna put the Cfr bars on the gen4 along with the new powder grips.
Im 5'9" and dont have best balance strength and still fight the crouched down feelin of even the 6in riser the 4in would feel worse I think.
Ill see how stock riser heigth feels after I put the Cfr bars w/ Skidoo powder grips on the Steering post forward kit that Ill be installing on it. Will also install my adjustable riser since Cfr bars a 1 1/8in bars that work with the riser on low position might be about 1 inch lower but high should be 1.5in higher than current stock. Will see

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Not a big fan of the smaller diameter bar on the Expert but not sure it is worth it to change them out. Was also having discomfort in my wrists until I rotated the handlebars forward to the +1 position and adjusted the brake and throttle accordingly, this also moved me slightly forward and generally improved how I fit on the Expert. This worked for me, your results may vary.

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
I'm 6' 3 " with big 3x klim gloves and don't notice much difference I mean you shouldn't have to hold on all day long like your choking your chicken. I generally have a fairly loose grip till it get knarly and then yeah hang on but to grip it like that all day know wonder people's hand hurt. At my height I love the low bars except on the ride in and the ride out but all day off road way superior.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
easy yes, cheap no, just because Karl Kuster thought they were great for him, I suspect the masses won't end up seeing things quite that way. Love my doo's but face it, they come out with some pretty goofy ideas....
I agree
I am thinking of changing to the larger bars as well after riding the whooped out trails from west y to IP my hands still hurt 3 days later.

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I find myself not gripping these smaller bars as tight as I did on my XM X bars and adding the 4.5" risers was a game changer for me, so much more comfortable to ride and put in a lot less effort when riding in the deep stuff.

Premium Features