• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How Washington Can Legally Spend Our Snowmobile Dollars That We Pay Them Every year

I
Oct 29, 2001
Central WA
Here are a few interesting facts/laws taken straight from the Revised Code of Washington

RCW 46.10.075

Snowmobile account — Deposits — Appropriations, use.

</B>There is created a snowmobile account within the state treasury. Snowmobile registration fees, monetary civil penalties from snowmobile dealers, and snowmobile fuel tax moneys collected under this chapter and in excess of the amounts fixed for the administration of the registration and fuel tax provisions of this chapter shall be deposited in the snowmobile account and shall be appropriated only to the state parks and recreation commission for the administration and coordination of this chapter.

RCW 46.10.080

Distribution of snowmobile registration fees, civil penalties, and fuel tax moneys.

</B>The moneys collected by the department as snowmobile registration fees, monetary civil penalties from snowmobile dealers, and fuel tax moneys placed in the snowmobile account shall be distributed in the following manner:

(1) Actual expenses not to exceed three percent for each year shall be retained by the department to cover expenses incurred in the administration of the registration and fuel tax provisions of this chapter.

(2) The remainder of such funds each year shall be remitted to the state treasurer to be deposited in the snowmobile account of the general fund and shall be appropriated only to the commission to be expended for snowmobile purposes. Such purposes may include but not necessarily be limited to the administration, acquisition, development, operation, and maintenance of snowmobile facilities and development and implementation of snowmobile safety, enforcement, and education programs.

(3) Nothing in this section is intended to discourage any public agency in this state from developing and implementing snowmobile programs. The commission is authorized to make grants to public agencies and to contract with any public or private agency or person for the purpose of developing and implementing snowmobile programs, provided that the programs are not inconsistent with the rules adopted by the commission.

RCW 46.10.150

Refund of snowmobile fuel tax to snowmobile account.

</B>From time to time, but at least once each biennium, the director shall request the state treasurer to refund from the motor vehicle fund amounts which have been determined to be a tax on snowmobile fuel, and the treasurer shall refund such amounts determined under RCW 46.10.170, and place them in the snowmobile account in the general fund

RCW 46.10.170

Amount of snowmobile fuel tax paid as motor vehicle fuel tax.

</B>From time to time, but at least once each four years, the department shall determine the amount of moneys paid to it as motor vehicle fuel tax that is tax on snowmobile fuel. Such determination shall use one hundred thirty-five gallons as the average yearly fuel usage per snowmobile, the number of registered snowmobiles during the calendar year under determination, and a fuel tax rate of: (1) Nineteen cents per gallon of motor vehicle fuel from July 1, 2003, through June 30, 2005; (2) twenty cents per gallon of motor vehicle fuel from July 1, 2005, through June 30, 2007; (3) twenty-one cents per gallon of motor vehicle fuel from July 1, 2007, through June 30, 2009; (4) twenty-two cents per gallon of motor vehicle fuel from July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2011; and (5) twenty-three cents per gallon of motor vehicle fuel beginning July 1, 2011, and thereafter.

RCW 46.10.180

Regulation by political subdivisions, state agencies.

</B>Notwithstanding any of the provisions of this chapter, any city, county, or other political subdivision of this state, or any state agency, may regulate the operation of snowmobiles on public lands, waters, and other properties under its jurisdiction, and on streets or highways within its boundaries by adopting regulations or ordinances of its governing body, provided such regulations are not inconsistent with the provisions of this chapter; and provided further that no such city, county, or other political subdivision of this state, nor any state agency, may adopt a regulation or ordinance which imposes a special fee for the use of public lands or waters by snowmobiles, or for the use of any access thereto which is owned by or under the jurisdiction of either the United States, this state, or any such city, county, or other political subdivision.

JETJOHNSO

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Not Sure What Your Question Is

what are you asking, I can explain the system to you. the more sleds registered, the more money we get into our grooming program. This year is very ugly as we have spend alot of money on snow removal just to get to the hill.
The state snoparks advisory board and committee decide thru public meeting how and where the money is spent, thats the way the snowmbilers of the state set it up years ago, we pay to play, no state money given to us , just our fuel tax money and registration money.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Question would be--with all these monies that are suppose to be collected for sledding and put in a account for just that--how much of it actually makes it there and/or stays there and does not float away into other programs or accounts??

In otherwards--90% minimuim of our politicians in charge of this type of program are not exactley honest--Look at their faithfull leader--Aunty Christina---
Besides--who the heck voted that witch in office?? I have only talked to 2 people that admit to voting for her.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I am questning if our funds are actuallysed for what they are suppose to be---it is written--but is it obeyed?? Any audits by someone other than the state??

H20SKE...

M
Nov 26, 2007
Ice cap, nice post, now we are getting down to the nuts and bolts.

Jet, I was wondering when you were going to jump in here, you have been down this road, and the people are starting to ask questions. When you say "spend a lot of $ on getting to the hill" I am sure that we can all safely assume that the state/county is not piggy backing off our grooming funds to clear roads that are their responsibility? I mean, where does the line start and stop on the paying of the plowing to the snow parks? County road, counties bill right?

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
It's all public record, you can go to any of the meetings and see the actual spread sheet where all the money goes that is collected, stop by my office any day and I can show you. dan

Post it on the forums for all of us to see.
Tar

H
Nov 26, 2001
Renton
Okay--so they spend the money properly, per what we see in the public records--I use to work for the county and know how this works.

I agree--Put the info on the 4m for all to see.

Do they collect all the monies due us then from items like the gas tax etc?

Thanks Dan

H20SKE...

Premium Features