• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High idle after rebuild

M
Sep 17, 2012
So i rebuild the engine(cylinder piston and crank) on a 2012 xf. and after it idles at 2300-2600., and bogs alot on low rpm's.
can to much oil in the gas tank make it lean out to the point where it get high idle?
I wanted it to get premixed with oil since it is all new, but i had mabye 8 dL into 10-15 liters. (whats left in the tank) thats almost 8 %

I have checked the reeds and could not find any cracks.
I tried spraying start gas around both crankseals and around the intake boots, and nothing happens. but if i spray into the intake the rpm drops. Does that mean its running too lean?

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
Did you mess with the throttle cable at all? It can cause a high idle situation and a bog if its misadjusted.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Sounds like air leak or crossed wires on injectors.

Did you have the injector wires out? Could one have got pulled out of the connector?

M
Sep 17, 2012
Yes i messed with the throttle cable, and i set it on the loose side.
What PSI and for how long should the leak test be done at?

the wires can't be swapped, there is one short and one long

Last edited:
R
Check your throttle cable. Do you have the aluminum plate under the pipe, on top of the ECU? The cable routes from under neither that plate. Mine got stuck on it once and did the exact same thing.
Follow your cable up along the handle bar post and into the throttle..

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If there is no tension on the throttle cable at the throttle bodies it is most likely a air leak.

Get some carb cleaner and spray it around the throttle body boots/reed cage, crank seals, and case. If the rpm drops or does it means it leaking. Just don't let it go into the intake where air comes in.

That will tell you if it's an air leak.

If not I'd check the tps

Premium Features