• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got the Sno Scoot restoration done just in time for Christmas

H
Jul 15, 2014
Id like to personally thank Volcano Buster, Thistledoo (who invented the Nytro brake mod), Braap1189, and Sumac Motorsports for all their help and insight. It took its maiden voyage after the restoration tonight with me in the saddle, I am restoring this thing to give to my son for Christmas.

After 7 months I finally completed restoring this 1988 Sno Scoot with e start. I found it in May and it was in the typical shape for a 27 year old machine ridden by kids. The track was pooched, the frame was broke in 3 spots, the steering column was bent severely, it had the wrong ski's on it, the body was cracked and faded horribly, the starter grinded, track cover was destroyed, it leaked gas- the usual stuff...

I tore it down to the frame the day I got it then spent a lot of time researching them and gathering the parts I needed. I spent 90 hours on reassembly, much of that hand polishing each screw, nut and bolt to remove 27 years of rust and tarnish. It needed the frame welded, a drive axel, steering post, track flap, ball joints, ski's and a whack of new parts from Yamaha.

I had the frame and suspension powder coated, added a remote kill switch, heated hand grips, Exciter II fairing, super low all black Exciter SX wind shield, Nytro brake mod with a nice bracket set up(complete with working stop switch and headlight switch relocated), and of course C&A Pro min's (a must IMO as they performed just awesome tonight, are lighter than feathers, and the craftsmanship and quality are incredible and I found them very fairly priced).

here's some pictures if anyone is interested

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
W. Washington
Very nice, your bracket for the brake caliper is nice and clean looking, did you make it? looks like it was machined. Also where did you get the wrap

H
Jul 15, 2014
The wrap is from SSi Decals in Illinois. Ian Harris there is a great guy, had an awesome customer experience dealing with them. We came up with the design together after my inital suggestions, then I had final say. Extremely good quality product, very thick vinyl that won't fade for 5 years minimum and very hard to tear or scratch. Took a while to put on though!!!!! Although it was my first every experience with something like that.

You're right about the bracket for the caliper- very fortunate to have a brother who is a licensed tool and die maker, licensed machinist and graduated from mechanical engineering. He saved my *** on this machine when I realized last week one of the arms for the carb float was broken. He machined one to replace the broken one. He made the mount for the caliper out of aircraft grade aluminum then sandblasted it so it the shine wouldn't attract too much attention. He was super impressed with Thistledoo's creativity and thought process (as Thistledoo invented the mod) with ease of stopping and stopping power, and much easier for small hands to reach.

I'll post more pics of the bracket here in a bit for anyone who may be interested.

H
Jul 15, 2014
caliper mounting bracket pics and handlebar set up with headlight switch relocation to center of the bars. Like thistledoo pointed out, its not like we'll have the kid riding them at night so don't really need the headlight high and low switch anymore but Id gone so far restoring it I figured what the hell and relocated i

fyi, the stop light switch is the identical switch on the Nytro set up as the scoot set up except the plug is different, just swap the plugs and it plugs right in..

IMG-20141220-01708.jpg IMG-20141220-01709.jpg IMG-20141220-01710.jpg IMG-20141223-01730.jpg IMG-20141223-01743.jpg

tree-magnet

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
W. Washington
caliper mounting bracket pics and handlebar set up with headlight switch relocation to center of the bars. Like thistledoo pointed out, its not like we'll have the kid riding them at night so don't really need the headlight high and low switch anymore but Id gone so far restoring it I figured what the hell and relocated i

fyi, the stop light switch is the identical switch on the Nytro set up as the scoot set up except the plug is different, just swap the plugs and it plugs right in..

That Bracket for the caliper is amazing, I just installed mine like thistledoo does. It works fine but that is clean, very nice!

H
Jul 15, 2014
Christmas morning..

cant remember a Christmas with so little snow here in Ottawa-bizarre.

anyways, here he is Christmas morning, 8am..

yes I have a brand new helmet for him, this was just a quick rip around the property, with me, then a couple quick pics for those who may jump on me about the no helmet thing

IMG-20141225-01778.jpg

Premium Features