• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI: RK TEK "DROP IN" PISTON AND HEAD KIT FOR PRO 800'S

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
I have my ordered the drop in kit and team tied secondary with the RK TEK helix. I have started the tear down, and will post pics of all equipment after install is complete.
My 2012 pro 800 163 has about 670 miles on it and the oil pump was never turned up, so it should be interesting to see the internals.

During install I will be turning the oil up and Changing to legend oil, cleaning exshust valves and possibly adding oil to all tanks of gas after.

let it snow,let it snow,let it snow :bounce:

P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
whats the verdict on this kit working on the 2013 Pro?? or even being needed what with all the rumors of motor changes for '13.... I want the performance but dont feel the need to mod the pistons if polaris fixed the problem for '13. Anybody torn down a '13 yet to see if there are any changes?? thanks

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
you need the pistons to make his kit work properly, I am pretty sure that is where you get the timing change from.

If this kit works even close to the same as the one I had on my rev, It will be amazing, and worth the money :target:

NRHS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2012
Firestone, CO
Once my 4 year warrantty is up I am sure i will be installing this kit on my 2013. Hope you still have them in 2016 as I plan to keep this sled for a long time!!

ditch1000

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2008
Fort St. James, B.C.
I have my ordered the drop in kit and team tied secondary with the RK TEK helix. I have started the tear down, and will post pics of all equipment after install is complete.
My 2012 pro 800 163 has about 670 miles on it and the oil pump was never turned up, so it should be interesting to see the internals.

During install I will be turning the oil up and Changing to legend oil, cleaning exshust valves and possibly adding oil to all tanks of gas after.

let it snow,let it snow,let it snow :bounce:

Keep us posted on how this setup runs!!! Especially clutching and reliability; I'm thinking about doing this setup after xmas, but just want to make sure I don't run into any bugs with my belt drive first. I don't like changing more than 1 thing at a time......

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
I will do an honest comparison after I have the kit broken in. I am not brand loyal to any maker of snowmobile, and I believe that most of these motor kits all have their advantages.
I went with the RK TEK, because of how his drop in kit preformed in my skidoo. Tear down is done and I will try to post pics tonight ..... If I can remember how lol:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
Engine pics 2012 pro 800 163 without the oil pump turned up 670miles. Going to greese all my electrical plugs and install my tether cord, the kit should be here in two weeks, which will give me lots of time for all the cleaning. I am also going to take my cylinders to a local shop and have the bores and skirts checked.

IMG_0017[1].jpg IMG_0019[1].jpg IMG_0020[1].jpg IMG_0023[1].jpg IMG_0025[1].jpg IMG_0027[1].jpg

Last edited:

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
Just got back from having the bores checked on the cylinders. .001 difference in both cylinders ( including the skirts ) and less than .005 difference between the two.

S

sketch96

Dec 23, 2011
Just got back from having the bores checked on the cylinders. .001 difference in both cylinders ( including the skirts ) and less than .005 difference between the two.
doesnt look like there is any abnormal wear and tear on the cylinders or the pistons. Hard to really tell from looking at pics but nothing seems to be worn or scuffed.

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
They don't seem to bad. probably bad pics ( will take more under better light if anyone is interested ) The cylinders look great, not even a little scratch or wear that can be felt by a finger.

found a few things to watch for
1 wire plug going to the fuel tank was stuck between the ECU and oil tank wearing on both was evident.

2 the clutch side spark plug wire was rubbing on the vent lines from the exshust valve, made very visable wear markes

3 clutch side exshust at y pipe to cylinder was leaking oil down the motor, I do not know what the torque on those should be, but might want to check that

4 same as above, but for the exshust valve gasket leaking

5 If anyone has not put a bottle on the exshust valve vent line, probably should ..... what a mess :face-icon-small-fro

NRHS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2012
Firestone, CO
tell me more about putting a bottle on the exhaust vent line. I am brand new to Polaris (always owned Cats before this one) so any advice is appeciated. Just picked up my 2013 Pro 2 weeks ago.

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
I am sure that someone else has a better idea ( chime in anytime guys ) but I took a small water bottle and drilled a hole in the cap just smaller than the size of the vent hose ( so you really have to push it through ) then put a decent sized rag inside. drill lots of holes around the top, below the cap for venting.

you can also and a few drops of methanol to the rags to make sure you do not get any condensation and freezing problems

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
If I remember right...... you can run stock weight or some people ad two grams.

Probably should check with Kelsey though....lol

if it mad more power, you'd think it would needed a little more clutch weight, unless the mods changes the peak power output up higher in the rpm?

Kelsey, your thoughts?

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
if it mad more power, you'd think it would needed a little more clutch weight, unless the mods changes the peak power output up higher in the rpm?

Kelsey, your thoughts?

pretty sure the rpm goes up.....between 8300 to 8500. There are alot of other threads that Kelsey talks about the kit, if I had the links I would post them. just can't remember now

B
Apr 13, 2004
GJ COLO
what domes did you go with, stock or 14ish or 15...?

what elevation do you ride at?

has anyone notice the ridiculous amount of blowby on those pistons?

and did you run comp test before you tore it down?

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
what domes did you go with, stock or 14ish or 15...?

what elevation do you ride at?

has anyone notice the ridiculous amount of blowby on those pistons?

and did you run comp test before you tore it down?

I got the orange 13.5:1
I ride from about 3k 8k
Kelsey said that is his 3500+ head
and no .... it didn't even think about a compression test DAMN:face-icon-small-sad should have done that. sorry guys

How did your pistons look ?? did you do a compression test ?? how many miles ??

Premium Features