• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FYI on Rad delete - trail riders

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
I put 100 miles on hardpacked trails this past weekend riding behind the wife and never saw anything above 130*. Before re-route I was running 160*-170* on the same conditions. Rather than using Schedule 70 pipe, I used 1" PEX brass 90*'s.

M
Mar 21, 2010
Rhode Island
Well the dead loop removal is done, Boy was that fun.....not!:face-icon-small-sad I took it for about an hour ride on hard pack snow/ice, where I barely left a trail in the snow. The temps ran 160's 170's in the trees, which I wasn't happy with so I returned and tried to bleed the system again, didn't see any air, but next time out more agressive riding on same hard pack and temp where in the 140's. Gonna try a bleed one more time, ( and yes I park it on a snow bank nose up so I have to hold the hood open ) We will see, all lines are hot to touch so it is moving coolant.:face-icon-small-dis

T

TrailRebel

Feb 4, 2010
Butler, WI
I know, it was kind of a PITA!!!!

Mike, you did route it from thermostat to radiator(the hose that needs to be cut appropriately above the old "T") and radiator to the hose going strait down, correct? You put a plug in the line that you had to cut on the bottom of the coolant reservoir? Maybe it was my snow conditions, but my sled ran really cool when driving really slow this past weekend(in the past, this was asking for tons more heat).

Is your radiator free of debris and ice?

M
Mar 21, 2010
Rhode Island
yup, did it right, and like I said I checked to make sure that all lines and boards were hot so I know it is circulating throughout the loop, it just may be that the snow is so hard that the ski's literally only left carbide marks and at times the track doesn't even break through so it rides on top. When I rode harder and spun the track more the temps came down a lot, so I'm confident when I get to a groomed trails it will be good.

M
Mar 21, 2010
Rhode Island
Took her up north to NH last week put 400+ miles on her and the temps stayed at upper 120's to 130's on the trail movin along, the girl ran great!! Trails were real hard pack, friends sled was heating up on plowed roads(for loggin) and I was runnin 150's 160's ( no snow for cooling).
Only issue was at one point she stayed at 3000 rpm when I stopped at gas station, checked for binding found none, it was either lean or tps acted up after that she was ok with just a small delay in Idle down.

Premium Features