• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FORD F250_Give me the good & bad

A

ArcticFX

Looking at one of these for a tow vehicle...2005 or newer. Also will be my daily but dont drive that much..mostly will be used to tow a 28ft inline.

Need some advice on this vehicle, reliability, etc.. Im up in the air on gas or diesel too so let me know what you think. I've owned all GM's till now but really like the looks of this rig.

Last edited:
in my opinion the interiors of fords are much nicer then other trucks. you will probably hear more bad things than good things about newer ford diesels but some people have never had a problem. Im not familiar with thier gas engines so i can't say if they would be good enough for what you do. On the maintenance side of things my '02 powerstroke likes to eat brake pads pretty quick.

Last edited:

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
I have an 08 F250 XLT CrewCab short box 6.4L diesel with 3.55 gears. Mine is a Job 3 or basically the last of the 08s seems like Job 1 had the most problems Job2 a few less and Job 3 is pretty good. So far with 5000 miles I haven't had a single problem other then a plugged up air filter when we had 2ft of new snow. I've been getting about 12 on the average a lot of short 15 mile trips with some in town driving doing around 65 or 70. On the highway at 75 I can get 13.5 unless its really windy seems to be the biggest mileage killer. I haven't done a lot of pulling with it yet. But its a huge improvement over my F150 5.4Ls for pulling my 25ft inline enclosed or our Heavy Equipment tilt deck trailer and Case 75xt to move snow about 7000#s combined. Mileage is 2mpg worse at most then my 07F150 Crewcab short box 5.4L.

We have a 06 F350 Dually 2wd crewcab long box with our service bed on it we use for our farm service vehicle. When we weighed it with all the tools, generator, air compressor, parts ect less the 300gallon service tank being full it was 11500 and some pounds. That one has the V10 3valve and does just fine even pulling the above trailer and skid steer. We average about 8 I think I figured out one day if we do highway trips but a lot of that has to do with the weight. I think my brother said when they drove it home from MN with just the empty flat bed they were getting around 11. We've only had it for one year with 8000miles now only had 60miles when we picked it up last winter and no problems with this one either.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I really like the looks of the 05-07 Fords on the exterior. Very nice looking truck.

However, seems like everyone has problems with the 6.0. I would personally stay away. Seems like their are injector issues, wiring issues, major turbo problems, major head gasket problems and not the best fuel mileage. Lets not forget how much Ford payed out in warranty claims. Which is the main reason for the splitting of Ford and Navistar in the future.

The 7.3 is much more reliable, but less powerfull.

IF I WAS DIE HARD FORD, I would only have two options, a 99-03 7.3 or 05-07 Ford with a Cummins in it!

V-10 is reliable, but eats fuel. Haven't been in a 3 valve to comment on power, but I personally think the 6.0 GM has more power then the 2 valve V10.

Personally, I think the 8.1 GM is a lot better choice. More low end torque and pulling power.

I personally think the Duramax or Cummins is a better choice in the diesel department.

I would probably avoid the 04.5 or 05 Duramax LLY but the 01-04s are good. 06 and 07s are good but not as good of mileage, and a few more issues.

Any 03-07 Cummins is a good truck. Love my 03.

I really don't think the interior on the 05 Ford is any nicer then my 03 Dodge Laramie. Just my opinion. My buddy has an 05 Lariat and I really don't think their is much difference. Seats seem similar and everything is similar. Ford has the digital climate control which I don't care about. I think the white face Dodge Gauges are nicer, and real numbers are better then High and Low.

I like the GM interiors too, but I don't think they are as nice as the 03 up Dodge or 05 up Ford. I had an 04 GMC and like the 03 Dodge better.

I really dislike the 99-04 Ford interior myself.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
No experience with the 2valve V10 either but the 6.0L won't hold a candle to the 3valve especially in the torque or grunt area and in my experience might even do better on mileage. Then again I never thought much of the 6.0Ls i've been in IMO the Hemi has as much and the newest version 5.3Ls and 5.4Ls aren't far behind. The 8.1Ls I've drove are real comparable to the V10 3valve IMO to bad chevy dropped the motor. My dad has had 2 Denalis with the 6.2L an amazing motor IMO for a heavy half or light 3/4ton setup. If only Chevy would build a 1500HD with it in or put it in a 2500 I would have been driving one. Not sure if it has quite as much grunt as the big gasses like the V10 or 8.1 but its far ahead of the 6.0L. He averages around 16 with a 75mph highway driving with his 6.2L.

Super A

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Belgrade Mt
2008 Ford F250 55000 miles

I love the looks of this truck and the power, but the fuel economy is horrible. I pull lots of trailers with skid steers and Mini Excavators, power has never been a issue. I have also had issues with warning lights for the air filter coming on everytime I drive it in a snow.

Make sure that you get the big fuel tank, mine is an extended cab and you can barely get 250 miles on a tank.

Best of luck in your search

A

J
Nov 29, 2007
06 6.0 f350

I have been a GM guy till last june bought a 06 cc lb f350 4x4 love the power coming from gm 6.0 gas to diesel. I have put about 18000 miles on it had to replace turbo when it overboosted and stretched headbolts.
I spent 5k fixing it but still a good truck.

B

blackcat900

Nov 26, 2007
Chelan WA.
Have a 06 F-350 crew cab diesel with 52,000 miles and the only problem was a/c last summer but warrenty took care of that . Runs strong pulls anything I hook up to it mileage isnt the greatest but it looks good.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I'll keep it short and sweet.

I had a 00 F250 with the 7.3 and 6 speed. Drove it to about 180k and sold it and bought a Dodge with the 6.7. Every day I wish I had that Ford back. Sure, for a ton of money and voiding the warranty I could probably make the Dodge a capable/reliable truck, but I bought it for the warranty and fuel mileage and so far all I've got is...... use of the warranty. Not once did my Ford let me down. Now, I've had 04 & 05 F250's for my job and wouldn't buy one of those, not near the power (in stock form) as the 7.3 and I actually like this Dodge better. But.... I did get in an 09 F250 and rode a few hundred miles and that thing feels like a "truck", nice interior also.

If I was to suggest something, it would be to find a low mileage diesel (any brand) before the new emissions got put on. 6.0 Ford, 6.7 Dodge, not sure about the Duramax, but those are prone to issue's. The 5.9 Cummins in a Mega Cab would be my choice if I had it to do over again. But, you also either have to tow a lot or drive a lot to justify the diesel.

Good luck.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
I own a 05 F-250. The 6.0 did have some issues. First of all, headgaskets. Ford used these bolts that I think are called tork to yeild, well they stretch and you will go through a set of gaskets. Also the EGR set up in these are terrible. They also cause the headgasket failure. The remedy is, block off the EGR and replace the bolts with APR studs. I had this done and the truck feels like new (it now has 125K).

All the diesels had there issues. I do believe fords was a little more expensive but onced fixed, it is very reliable. As for power. For 2005 Not another diesel will touch it for pulling (apples to apples). I have pulled with dodge and chevy. All great trucks! The chevy just doesn't lug up the hills like the dodge or the ford from what I noticed pulling the same trailer. I felt that the Ford did better than the dodge. It could be because of the tranny. The dodge and the chevy all got a little better milage than the Ford though. Like I said before. They are all good trucks and would take anyone of them, but for now I love the looks of the Ford.

check out powerstrokehelp.com and watch his videos on the 6.0. (maintenance, what to watch out for, Installing aftermarket goodies) its a good website

C
Nov 26, 2007
Kootenays!
05 F250 here, and i love it. All of the big three are going to have issues, it seems to be preference, and what area you would like to spend your money for repairs in the future. The suspension is great, the front end holds up well with big tires and big weight, great tranny, overall a great lookin truck. I like the interior in the 05-07 Fords, the dodge interior was alright up to 02, but went to hell after that.
Yeah, mines had to go in for HG issues, the truck had a garbage 100hp tune in it from new, and did too much towing... Updated head gaskets, ARP head studs, EGR delete kit, (obviously studs and EGR kit i paid for) and some better custom tunes via a SCT, and i couldnt be happier. Take care of a few things, and in the end have a better truck all in all :)

S
Jul 7, 2002
Central iowa
I'll keep it short and sweet.

I had a 00 F250 with the 7.3 and 6 speed. Drove it to about 180k and sold it and bought a Dodge with the 6.7. Every day I wish I had that Ford back. Sure, for a ton of money and voiding the warranty I could probably make the Dodge a capable/reliable truck, but I bought it for the warranty and fuel mileage and so far all I've got is...... use of the warranty. Not once did my Ford let me down. Now, I've had 04 & 05 F250's for my job and wouldn't buy one of those, not near the power (in stock form) as the 7.3 and I actually like this Dodge better. But.... I did get in an 09 F250 and rode a few hundred miles and that thing feels like a "truck", nice interior also.

If I was to suggest something, it would be to find a low mileage diesel (any brand) before the new emissions got put on. 6.0 Ford, 6.7 Dodge, not sure about the Duramax, but those are prone to issue's. The 5.9 Cummins in a Mega Cab would be my choice if I had it to do over again. But, you also either have to tow a lot or drive a lot to justify the diesel.

Good luck.

I tried to tell ya the 5.9 was a better route.

C

crestview

Dec 3, 2007
Kimberly Id
I had a bad experience with the an 03 6.0 powerstroke. I would stay far far away from that motor. I do like the looks of the ford but I wouldn't trade the ride or the power and smooth shifting of my duramax. The cummins till about 07 was a good motor but if you like to drive in comfort and have a pickup with options in it then dodge is a no go. In the end its all a matter of opinion. I think the chevy is a more all around better investment but thats just me. You could take an older 7.3 Powerstroke and put the 05 front end on it for not a whole lot of money. Then you would have reliablity and the looks.

A

augerin

Nov 26, 2007
Granite Falls Wa.
I have an '03 6.0L Ford cc. So far the warrenty has covered some gasket that they had to remove the engine to replace, a new turbo, and the dumb door switches a few times. Lately it has been down a little on power and smokes black under a load. I am thinking I have a stuck or plugged injector this time. How much have you guys had to spend on the egt delete kit and head studs? BTW when it is running right I get good milage and power and really like the truck.

L
Jul 4, 2001
UT
I have a 97 F250 CC SB, it has the 7.3 PSD. IMHO the 97's were the best of the 7.3's. I have 285,000 on mine. I have only had to replace the glow plugs 1 set, glow plug relay 2ea, one set of batteries, fuel tank switch, 2 fan belts, 1 fan belt pulley. Its been one of the best rides I have ever owned. Its been payed for long ago and runs just like it did when I got it. I have it chipped and piped, with an added intake.

The 7.3's from 09 on all had intercoolers. This helped in power and also if you wanted to mod the truck. I think they also made a turbo change part way thru 99 as well.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
I have a 97 F250 CC SB, it has the 7.3 PSD. IMHO the 97's were the best of the 7.3's. I have 285,000 on mine. I have only had to replace the glow plugs 1 set, glow plug relay 2ea, one set of batteries, fuel tank switch, 2 fan belts, 1 fan belt pulley. Its been one of the best rides I have ever owned. Its been payed for long ago and runs just like it did when I got it. I have it chipped and piped, with an added intake.

The 7.3's from 09 on all had intercoolers. This helped in power and also if you wanted to mod the truck. I think they also made a turbo change part way thru 99 as well.

As well as split-shot 130cc injectors, Diffrent IDM and PCM tuning, an upgraded HPOP, an electric fuel system. Just to name a few changes between the Superdutys and the Old Body Style Powerstrokes.

Cowboy Steve

S

SNOW JW

Nov 26, 2007
Belgrade MT
www.coderedperformance.com
7.3 Rocks with a few little mods this motor seems bullet proof.

6.0 I am a Ford guy but what a POS hard starts sounds like the rods are going to go through the block.
Been in the dealer allot for many problems surging,engine light, no power, many updates.

I will say it has been the most gutless truck I have drove is a stick shift and I think that has allot to do with it but still I would never buy one. I will say it gets used allot and has never left us stranded it just keeps going but only has 50,000 or so miles. So I will give it that I thought it would have roasted the motor a long time ago as hard as you have to run it to make good power.

The 6.4's I have been in and around are sweet MPG suck unless you have some good mods but the truck works great in every way a diesel pickup should power is the best along with the chassie.

P
Mar 21, 2009
Kennewick, Wa
7.3 Rocks with a few little mods this motor seems bullet proof.

6.0 I am a Ford guy but what a POS hard starts sounds like the rods are going to go through the block.
Been in the dealer allot for many problems surging,engine light, no power, many updates.

I will say it has been the most gutless truck I have drove
is a stick shift and I think that has allot to do with it but still I would never buy one. I will say it gets used allot and has never left us stranded it just keeps going but only has 50,000 or so miles. So I will give it that I thought it would have roasted the motor a long time ago as hard as you have to run it to make good power.

The 6.4's I have been in and around are sweet MPG suck unless you have some good mods but the truck works great in every way a diesel pickup should power is the best along with the chassie.

Sounds like a common Variable Vane issue. Those trucks are turd piles when the vanes won't close. I'd to a little mod on the EGR cooler and be done with the sticky vane issue if it was me. Maybe even an FICM re-tune.

The 6.0 is a rockin little motor. It pulls down higher RPM's then the 7.3 could ever imagine, plus the 6.0 HEUI injectors have the potential to produce more power then the 7.3 sticks. Which is a huge bonus when it comes to mods

Cowboy Steve

Premium Features