• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fluctuating idle.

W
Sep 8, 2015
First thing to note. Mice were in the engine bay during the summer. **** and pissed everywhere and built a nest in the nose under the pipe. Spend about 3 hours cleaning and inspecting. The 45 minutes with a flashlight search dident reveal any serious damage, mostly just **** and piss.

It runs ok but has this weird idle. After a minute of idleing the rpms get real low, like 900 rpm, then "it notices" and bumps the rpms back to around 1300, then it will slowly go back to 900 and the cycle repeats. Ideas?

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Had similar symptoms on my sled last year. Start w/ replacing the plugs. If that doesn't fix it, take a look at the fuel pump and injectors. Mine had a bad fuel pump and a bad injector. Not sure which was causing the idling problem (it also would not hold max revs under load - both problems fixed after the replacements).

W
Sep 8, 2015
Had similar symptoms on my sled last year. Start w/ replacing the plugs. If that doesn't fix it, take a look at the fuel pump and injectors. Mine had a bad fuel pump and a bad injector. Not sure which was causing the idling problem (it also would not hold max revs under load - both problems fixed after the replacements).
Thanks for input. Will BUDS show a code if its a fuel pump or injector ?

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Dealer fixed it, but from their explanations (took more than one trip to the dealer to fix) they identified the fuel pump issue via buds or other testing. The injector was by process of elimination. It was a real gremlin and by the end I was dealing with their head mechanic directly.

Premium Features