• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First/second week of January how do the conditions of the snowies generally look?

E
Aug 20, 2011
Soo/Menominee MI
So ive got the opportunity to either go back up to cooke city and ride in the second week of january, or go to albany and ride the snowies for the first time. Im trying to figure out which one to commit to. My question is, do the snowies generally look pretty solid by the first week of jan?

Rave

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2001
SE MN
"Generally" speaking, yes. But with the wild variations these days it could be a crap shoot!

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Both can get hammered by Christmas week riders. Expecting many riders this year over the holiday whereever there's snow - lots of new sleds to be ridden (if they get delivered). Snowies are much bigger area-wise, but the high points will be windswept, and you can get some days that are whiteouts in the open areas. You can get some massive dumps early season in the Snowies. If you're riding out of Albany, it's a big trip to the north side. You can also trailer/deck up 130 to where the plow stops, and unload. The Mullen burn area out of Albany may have changed riding, too - haven't ridden there since the Mullen fire. Not helping much with your decision, but letting you know what to expect.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I went to Albany for the first time last season. Keep in mind I’m a novice rider at best. The snow was not great when we were there, and it sucked a lot of fun out of it feeling my sled bouncing off hidden treasures underneath the snow. I’d go back, but not if the snow wasn’t significantly better.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
It doesn't sound like either is off to a good start yet. I've never been to Cooke but many times to the Snowys. There are a lot of rocks and down trees from beetle kill that are an issue in lower snow. Last year we went to there twice, mid-jan and then mid-Feb. The first trip almost every stuck we had was getting hung up on logs, the second, with about 3 ft more snow, that wasn't an issue. I've also been there in mid-Dec and had about one of the deepest rides ever. All up to the weather!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Go to Cooke. There isn't JACK in the snowies right now, and I'm not just saying that. Its downright depressing. I'm seriously not anticipating even doing a road ride up here before Christmas and thats *IF* we get REALLY lucky and get like 5' dumped between next week and Christmas.

Cornfusion

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2017
Western Pa
The road and ground was pretty much all bare to green rock Saturday, did find a little on barber lake road though. It's really not a good start for the snowies and hope it changes soon.
a038da034ee77e0fc6f0daa2e009a774.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Premium Features