• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust Probe Help

I bought a used y-pipe and it has the bungs for the EGT's welded on the pipe. On my current y-pipe I have the clamp-on style connection. I'm trying to remove the clamp and threaded sleeve and it appears all I need to do is get the compression fitting out of the threaded sleeve and the threaded part should slide off the sensor. Problem is, I'm not sure how to remove the compression fitting w/o damaging the sensor. I've included the link to the setup I have now and the compression piece i'm trying to remove. Any help?

http://www.exhaustgas.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=857&DepartmentID=1&CategoryID=57&RepID=&BasketID=

Not sure I follow. If I don't remove the piece that has the threads, square plate, and cone on the bottom (in the picture, it's the piece inside the clamp) the nut won't secure to the bung. I'm trying to remove this piece and it appears I need to get the cone shaped ferrule out of this piece so I can slide this threaded piece off the probe and be able to secure the nut to the bung.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you have the y pipe with the weld in bungs that your going to install..right..??...those bungs should be the same thread pitch as the nuts on your egt probe..your probe with nut and compression furrel should easily remove as a complete unit from your clamp on system on the y pipe your not going to use...right..??..why are trying to remove the clamp and threaded sleeve from the y pipe your not going to use..?..am i off base here..??

M8M&M - Sorry, my descriptin was crappy. I was trying to ask how to remove the compression furrel you mentione from the probe, not trying to remove anything from the ypipe. I was able to put som heat on the fitting and remove from the probe. It was stuck on super tight, probably got some carbon buildup in the ferrule. Thanks again.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
What i did to remove the compression fitting from a bad EGT probe was clamp it just hard enough to hold it still in a vice, then use a hack saw to cut down one side of the fitting until the blade almost touches the probe. NOTE: Will probably ruin the probe if you cut into it. In my case it didnt matter as the probe was broken. Then take out of the vise and insert a flat end screwdriver into the cut and give it a twist. Should pop apart and allow you to slide the fitting off.

Hope this helps...

Premium Features