• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ever balance a primary?

P
May 21, 2009
Just had mine balanced. 10 grams off, nice huh. This is off a 00 800 RMK. This is the worst clutch my machinist has balanced all season. 10 grams seems heavy spinning at 8k+ rpm. Crank and bearings seem fine after splitting the cases. Stock PTO bearing. I'm gonna put it back together and run it! :face-icon-small-coo

P
May 21, 2009
the area out of balance was in between weights too. Clutch runs in and out smooth so dont think weights are hanging up. Weights were never weighed on a scale although. Just bought and installed. Hmm...seems like that would toast a 800 crank rather quickly but I flogged the piss out of this motor last year with no issues. Oh Well. Just going through some stuff and checking out the bottom end and putting a fresh top end on before it goes into my 05440 IQ. Running sleeved jugs, std. bore, SPI Moly pistons, Hot Seat billet head, either vforce or boyesen reeds, and Neils single. Hope it makes for a fun sled.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
You had the cases split and didn't bother swapping bearings out? Really? Especially on these Poo motors, I don;t care how smooth they feel I'm replacing!
And what good is it to balance the clutch but nothing inside of the clutch? Did the cover get done? weights? pins? It should all be balanced, not just the basic clutch.
I just balanced some 60g Poo weights and they were 4g off from the lightest to the heaviest....best bang for your buck when it comes to longevity of your transmission and engine.

P
May 21, 2009
Yep. If it aint broke don't fix it. 11 years and never blown a crank, bearings were replaced bout 4 years ago and only 700 miles or so since. I'll weigh the weights the next go round for giggles. I got a primary from the 440 motor I'm thinking about running. I hear it's got a smaller spider but I'll check it out. Gonna get that one balanced too and see how far it's off. Everyone seems to have problems with these bottom ends but not me so far. Guess I'm blessed by the polaris god, I am the chosen one didn't you know?

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Yep. If it aint broke don't fix it. 11 years and never blown a crank, bearings were replaced bout 4 years ago and only 700 miles or so since. I'll weigh the weights the next go round for giggles. I got a primary from the 440 motor I'm thinking about running. I hear it's got a smaller spider but I'll check it out. Gonna get that one balanced too and see how far it's off. Everyone seems to have problems with these bottom ends but not me so far. Guess I'm blessed by the polaris god, I am the chosen one didn't you know?

11 years but you replaced 4 years ago. Preventative maintenance which is what I was alluding to! Cheers!

M

Mcx Nytro

Nov 26, 2007
Vernon BC
Along with doing the primary you should check out the secondary. Have the sheaves trued..it is amazing how far out they can be..def. harder on belts and un-needed heat causing slippage. I have done both the clutches since 91, had great sucess with belt life, can make run after run with little to no heat....jm2cents:wave:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Along with doing the primary you should check out the secondary. Have the sheaves trued..it is amazing how far out they can be..def. harder on belts and un-needed heat causing slippage. I have done both the clutches since 91, had great sucess with belt life, can make run after run with little to no heat....jm2cents:wave:

Terry and I don't agree often ;) but he is 100% right about your secondary!
Haven't done it since I quit racing, but even the race prepped 440's at the turn of the century lacked tolerance control so bad it was a clearly noticeable difference after getting the faces trued.

Premium Features