• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dynafits & sleds?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Hey all - Norona in particular, I suspect you have insight - one of my skiing partners just got some G3s and Dynafits, and while they're great for what they're designed for, he's finding that running laps off the sleds is a PITA as far as snow and ice built up in the holes. Boots are Salomon Quest Pro 130, he got the Dynafit something something FT, I think, looks like a normal old Dynafiddle, not the Beast, with a plastic bit underfoot.

Thoughts?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Pam - that's a thought. Silicone, too, maybe? I'll throw some in. Duct tape could be good for the commute, but once we start skiing, hrmm. A couple of whacks with the pole handle gets the heel channels clear enough, it is mostly the toes that get annoying.

Will try Pam. Thanks!

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Hey all - Norona in particular, I suspect you have insight - one of my skiing partners just got some G3s and Dynafits, and while they're great for what they're designed for, he's finding that running laps off the sleds is a PITA as far as snow and ice built up in the holes. Boots are Salomon Quest Pro 130, he got the Dynafit something something FT, I think, looks like a normal old Dynafiddle, not the Beast, with a plastic bit underfoot.

Thoughts?

Sorry I have never had this problem with tech inserts or bindings and being in squamish/whistler our snow is perfect for that issue. I have use the onyx and now ion and never had that problem, but i suspect banging the skis before you throw them in the rack going back up with help. Sorry I can't offer more....I have never dynafiddled, only watched others...Happy New Year

R
Mar 16, 2010
Gotit, thanks! I found some good stuff on wildsnow.com, got some Rain-X, Pam, and silicone binding lube set aside, we're going to have a comparison tomorrow.

Carbon77

Lifetime Membership
Jun 12, 2008
Yakivegas, WA
How did it turn out? I usually do the silicon on mine, but honestly riding sleds is no different then doing alot of touring when it comes to Tech Fittings. I have the Beasts and the TLT's and they both are the same when it comes to touring, or sled laps. I just smack the **** out of them with the poles and I'm good to go.

R
Mar 16, 2010
How did it turn out? I usually do the silicon on mine, but honestly riding sleds is no different then doing alot of touring when it comes to Tech Fittings. I have the Beasts and the TLT's and they both are the same when it comes to touring, or sled laps. I just smack the **** out of them with the poles and I'm good to go.

He's a bonehead and forgot to lube up. I think it'll be more palatable with touring - click in once, stumble uphill, yank skin, twist heel, done. On sleds, especially with short commutes, it is a BATTLE for him. It is bad. He'll figure it out. I'm hoping pam/silicone is the answer.

Thanks, though - I was kinda wondering if the sled added inconvenience, with warmer tunnels and ice-caked running boards and stuff. I've never noticed a difference touring vs sled laps for me, but I've not used tech bindings - alltimes, Fritschis, tour-wreckers, mostly big alpine stuff.

He's off to Canada for a week long hut trip. We Shall See.

Thanks!

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Dynafit pins are design with a couple grooves to help eliminate this issue. When you first step in, you need to rotate the boot by sliding your foot/ski back and forth or up and down a few times to allow the cutting edge on the pins to drill out any ice in the hole. Works great.

Premium Features