• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cutler 1150 bogging issue

Z
Apr 13, 2010
hey I have an 04 king cat with a cutler 1150 I just bought it and the first ride out was amazing my only complaint was at almost full throttle it had a small bog and if I let out of it and get back on it then it was fine but would come back at full throttle again. so next ride out I tried to run more race gas and it bogged at half throttle. I am back to the original mixture which is two gallons 111 and three gallons 91 octane non ethanol with 36 to 1 klotz premix oil. I ride in the range of 7000 to maybe 10000 ft. I know that it has 150 psi compression and is running 500 on the main jets.
I guess my main question is do i go with less race gas?
what spark plugs are best to run?
any other suggestions or things to check out thanks!

D
Feb 9, 2009
prince george B.C.
maybe jetting ,you cant jet adjusting race gas mixture,race gas mix differences are for different elevations,what carbs do you have,I am running 520's at 5-6500ft in bored carbs 42mm,double check your set up mine was jetted with 360's and ran its whole life like that when I called and talked to dale at cutler he said his notes had no one running less than 500's.you might be running lean possibly ,check your piston wash..get a little light to help see it,read through cutlers site ,and like was said call cutler with questions,when I got my cutler it was a learning experience and I would encourage you to get to know your engine and double check your set up.a trick is to pull your choke if you might be lean to dump extra fuel you can run like that to get up to a safe elevation for your jetting to ...read up on the exhaust valves and clean them ,check their operation,might be sticking. 2500 miles or less between rebuilds to ,do the top end when reccomended and save the expense of rebuilding the bottom end..

Z
Apr 13, 2010
so much stuff im trying to learn about my sled it has cpc pipes and stinger they also ported the cylinders I belive its like an 11 port design and it is running high compression heads according to their website it should be good to run at around 94 octane at the altitudes im riding and im running like 98 octane

Z
Apr 13, 2010
im going to clean the power valves and check for proper adjustment and take a look at the piston heads and check for proper jetting and go from there then at least when I call cutlers we will have covered the basics and we can go from there thanks to all you guys for youre posts il let you know how it turns out

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Re-reading your thread....go back to the stock fuel mix for fun try and giving it a little less air (1/2 choke)...and see what it does.

Z
Apr 13, 2010
so I attempted to clean the powervalves and found out that the guy who put my sled together believed that high performance engines must have highly torqued nuts and bolts. while trying to remove the plate that holds the powervalves to the cylinder we broke two drivers and ended up going to buy a good set of torqs drivers and upon muscling on the last one stripped the head out. so needless to say I got to take a good look at my pistons and can see that they have no piston wash and are a rusty color with some baked on carbon so I am going to step it up a few on the jets to richen her up. That is of course if My uncle who is a machinist can work a miracle for me you see my muscle man who put the sled together must not understand the principle of torqing because when we tried to take the jugs off so we could easier remove the stripped bolt well we broke off one of the bolts that mount into the crank case so hopefully he can either get that bolt out or drill it out and rethread it for us and maintain some kind of integridy to the case threads so they dont strip out in the future. any bets if I will be riding my baby this weekend?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Cool....gotta start somewhere.
So you're thinking you had a lean bog?

Z
Apr 13, 2010
thats how it looks and also cutlers suggests that my coolant should run around 150 and it has always ran around 250 since I bought it a month ago any ideas one thing maybe I think is that my water pump is weak because it can be running 250 and my coolers are cold to the touch maybe a thermostat?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
250°? WTH?
You either have circulation issues or your temp probe is broken.

I usually run about 125° in powder.

It DOES make a difference WHERE the probe is located. Mine is tapped right into the heads. The temp that matters most is what is surrounding the cylinders.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
LOL....no, I'm sure you'll be fine...just gotta nail down the issue. You can't get impatient when running mod motors. You've really gotta be patient and a good trouble shooter.

Premium Features