• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooke City Snow Conditions for 2022/23

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Level one avalanche course bare minimum to have a clue, level two and you are getting a much better understanding.
Anyone playing regularly in avalanche terrain should be educated with a minimum level one certification.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Last week I was puting a check valve in a drain line at home 9' below grade.
There had been a bit of sloughing further up the trench (older dig), and I was down a cpl more feet than that.
The news had just mentioned about someone getting caught in the same situation, and I am aware of the dangers...
And then this avi in Cooke.

So I asked Mrs. Ox if she would be able to just check on me regularly, but it turned out that she was out of town, but she said that maybe I should wear my beacon...

I opted to dig the upper half of the area that I was working a little wider ...

P
Dec 15, 2018
I don’t know . I saw this on Facebook today but realize it’s old because unfortunately there have been fatalities last year also. The training is still going though so I thought it’d be good for someone new to the area or someone who was becoming more serious about mountain riding.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Seriously.
That would SUCK HARD to be buried alive at your own house.
I can't remember how often, but it's not uncommon for people to get buried in what you'd call a roof avalanche. Makes a good argument for steep pitched roofs (over 45 degrees), although those are more difficult and expensive to build and maintain. You definitely wouldn't be worried about that if a ton of snow just fell on you though...

Premium Features