• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cold weather face protection

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Back in the 90's the full face helmet was being replaced by the "dirt bike" style, I remember struggling with duct tape, balaclavas and the like when running between Skwentna and Willow when it would dip down below zero. Since living in WA, it doesn't even get below the 20's when I ride, nor is there any higher speeds in the Cascades.

Up until this year, In the fall dirt biking season I just wore some of my sled gear to deal with the cold. When it is 35* here it feels much colder due to the humidity. I found this mask and used it. It worked soooo go, I just wanted to pass it on to any of you guys that might be tired of duct taping your cheeks.....LOL

http://helmetmask.com/default.aspx

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Thanks for the link.

I wear an MX style helmet with a "Turtle Fur" balaclava (really thin fleece) and a "No-Fog" mask.

It's a great set up and I only break out the duct tape when it gets around -30.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
It took a while for me to get the perfect combo, but for me it is:

Motocross style helmet
509 goggles
wind resistant balaclava (I pull it down a bit leaving my mouth uncovered)
No-Fog mask

With this combination I have no exposed skin on my face or neck and the no-fog keeps my goggles from fogging up even if I'm stopped and digging. Not that that ever happens. ;)

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
It took a while for me to get the perfect combo, but for me it is:

Motocross style helmet
509 goggles (going to try them out this year)
Habervision Eliminator
wind resistant balaclava (I pull it down a bit leaving my mouth uncovered)

With this combination I have no exposed skin on my face or neck and the no-fog keeps my goggles from fogging up even if I'm stopped and digging. Not that that ever happens. ;)

Since I got the Eliminator my goggles don't fog up. On cold days I will put a balaclava on but most of the time I ride with just the helmet.
I guess I am a wuss because when it gets too far below 0*, I stay home.
I've frozen my face before and it's not fun.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
turbolover,
Not riding on below 0 days makes sense where most folks live and ride but for us up here in AK if we held out for above zero days we'd lose half our season.

I've been looking at the Haber Eliminators. You like them? Would you improve them if you could?

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
turbolover,
Not riding on below 0 days makes sense where most folks live and ride but for us up here in AK if we held out for above zero days we'd lose half our season.

This, and also sometimes you leave the house and it's +10°F and you get to the parking lot and it's -20° (not what the forecast called for). That's happened to us a couple of times. Hey, we drove 2-1/2 hours to get there. We ride.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
This, and also sometimes you leave the house and it's +10°F and you get to the parking lot and it's -20° (not what the forecast called for). That's happened to us a couple of times. Hey, we drove 2-1/2 hours to get there. We ride.

Ditto that....
I didn't do much mod'n back then either, was always a tuning PITA... Watched plenty of guys squeak ported/piped motors though....

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Too hot? With nothing on the head but the helmet you get a nice draft of fresh air in around the face. It allows you to breathe without having to take the helmet off to get unstuck. Typically, the wearer can put it on in the morning and if it warms up during the day, it can be removed and stored in no time. If the temps drop for the trip back to the truck, stop and reinstall it in under a minute. It is surprising how much protection you get from the goggles all the way down. Spring time riding it is probably too warm, but it is easy to take off and takes up very little space.

We ride from Three Creeks snowpark to Moon Mt. and that trip back to 3 Creeks at warp speed as the sun is going down can be a cold S.O.B. Also, no wind burn this way either.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
I wore a no fog for years, restricted my breathing too much, now I buy a couple of "Breath Boxes" and go home find the right one and mold it under the cheek flaps with silicone and Velcro.

Breath Box is what I call the little mouth/nose piece that comes in some, but not all helmets. HJC Boxes seems to fit my FOX helemt best and comes with Velcro attached.

Goes on and off my head with a just a little care, no fog for the most part, and good air in.

Oh and the SCOTT Turbo Xi aren't the coolest goggle but they come with a removable nose piece that can't be beat.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I figured the Alaska boys would have things under control. My original intent was to find a way to keep from getting snow down my collar. The other perks are just that for me. Waiting on more reviews from the various places these things are being used.

A

AKLankford

Oct 13, 2009
Wasilla, AK
I'd say Iron Doggers are probably the guys/gals with the most experience in cold weather. Theyre set up is a ATV style open face helmet, a no-fog baclava, a set of goggles with a full face guard and of course duct tape. The only one I know of is made by smith but has been discountinued for the last couple years. I think that is partly why Scott and Corey Davis and a couple other teams ran a MX style helmet this year.

thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx

Premium Features