• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutching - Light or Heavy Primary Spring Best

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I'm going on the same thing you are my 07 4 post basically did just that and it would run 60mph track speed all day. my 09 3post with less weight wont turn the track speed and its 50lbs lighter, once it builds speed it looses it easy to where the 07 would keep pulling through. I think when running stiffer springs and same clutch weights you are just causing the primary to loose bite and slip. I tried it and my primary was getting so hot it made my pipe feel cold. But with more weight the 36 angle helix may be better than a 38 or 40. right now my 09 sling shots the secondary and the primary can't recover. I am thinking of starting off with 85g weights and a 44/38 helix then use the right clutch spring to reach rpm. not sure what weights I'm going to use yet.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Interesting WYOBOY.

I have found similar results. The issue you may run into by executing your clutching plan is, you may be able to pull the clutch weight (reach shift speed) at 4,000 feet but not at 8,000 feet.

I messed around with that issue on my 1 ton for years and without the shockwave adjustable helix I don't think I would have ever found a good solution for both elevations. too bad they don't make a shockwave for diamond drive equipped Cats.

Premium Features