• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch life.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I too use the AC weight shims on my P85. Change the weight bushings annually unless I ride more than usual. I have about 3500miles on my clutch, but I sent it off to IndyDan at around 2k to have him balance, shim, and machine the sheaves. I'm not on a Pro, but same clutch, and just a bit more power with the piped 800bb than the Pro800, so I figured my experience would be relevant. Can you tell I'm dreaming of a Pro yet? ha Next season...

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
What if your lubricant does not attract dirt and kevlar and other undesirable contaminants?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I've been running P-85's for a long time and have found that if you change the weight bushings every 1,000 miles and change out your rollers and tighten your buttons every 1,600 you'll never have a clutch problem on a ride. My Pro's rollers were due to be replaced at 1,500 miles.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Thanx AA

Sorry LH I'll try to change my habits.

It's your clutch, do with it what you will. I'm just very particular and try and promote optimum performance and life from my stuff and like to pass those tidbits on. What you chose to do with those tips is on you. No apologies needed.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I agree LH, I don't have to apologise. I too try to promote optimum performance and life from my stuff. Hence regular cleaning and for me, that bad word in clutching, lubing.
That's why the question was asked (and fully expecting "absolutely not" responces). I don't use axle grease though and know manufactures say use nothing.
Just like a good discussion and feed back. My experience is different on the lubing thing and is just that and nothing more.

I had a chuckle when I read "attract dirt, kevlar, and other harmful contaminants". It reminded me of a men's deodorant commercial lol. I thought what did they put into this lube to be more attractive to that stuff lol. Funny pictures on the small particle scale went through my mind.

Maybe easier to adhere to would be closer. But have you ever tried a test on this. Oillite still a good material for bushings on a clutch. It oozes oil, so to speak, yet if I wipe out a cover bushing with a clean white rag the stock (dry) bushing always comes out blacker than the oillite bushed cover.
It could be simply because the oillite is a smoother surface or it could be the stock bushing (dry) simply allows contaminants to adhere easier. Stock dry clutch bushings need regular cleaning because of this but it's really hard to get a q-tip into your rollers and compressed air is just a maybe (for me anyway).
My method (right or wrong, it's just a discussion) is to apply a tiny bit of solvent based lube (not all are the same and you need to know that it is compatible with your bushings) spin then blow. The repeat if needed. When done your roller should spin for a few seconds when dry. I also spritz a bit (I'm a teflon guy now) on a clean rag and polish up the slider surfaces, cover bushing, and outer clutch shaft.
I do the same on the secondary when cleaning. My hands during reassembly feel the difference and my thumb notices it too when riding.

Not once have I seen more dirt adhesion (that's just me though). A simple experiment to try is take a plate of shiny new stainless or aluminum or plastic. Spritz a spot in the middle, let it dry, buff hard to try and wipe it off, then throw some "contaminants" at it.
For me the the dirts sticks less to the spot that was "lubed".

So,,,. LH (or anyone), what material is used in the bushes of the P85 (mines a week away yet)? Are they all the same?

Last edited:
Premium Features