• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blair Morgan goes for a sled ride

J
Jun 11, 2005
Clearwater BC
Saw this update from Blair's facebook posted on a dirt bike forum:

Post #1Terri M Morgan wroteon January 2, 2009 at 4:40pm
January 2nd update from the Morgan household.

Happy New year to everyone, we sure hope that you have all have a fabulous holiday season. Blair's holiday season was very relaxing with visits from friends and family. Since his release it has been a whirlwind of change with new beginnings and things wrapping up. I completed my term at university, Corbyn has sung in several events with the school choir, also Corbyn, Breck, and I attended a movie night at their school. There was all the christmas shopping, baking, decorating as well as Christmas itself. None of these things would have been possible without the help of my mother Myrna Lawrence. She was here for the children when we couldn't be, she baked, decorated and brought together my family for the holidays. All the while she could have been, and usually is, with my step father and his family in Arizona for christmas. Just to add challenge to the season was the frigid temperatures that we were blessed with. It was just a challenge to stay warm and keep your hands from getting frost bitten touching anything metal...yes this includes wheelchairs :).

Upon his release from the rehabilitation wing at City Hospital it was time to learn to function at home on a daily basis. Although most of the house renovations have yet to be performed we have all managed nicely. Ramps built by Mathew Koberlin that allow easy access from the kitchen to the dining room and then into the living room have been such a blessing as well as a great game and race track for hours of entertainment for the children. Thank you Mathew, Sean, Grant and anyone else that had a hand in building the ramps. The day of release was a very exciting time for Blair and he got to bring home his Birthday present. His gift was a fuzzy little grey kitten, this little kitty spends it's day on Blair's lap or shoulder riding around the house. Where you find Blair the kitten isn't very far away. This little kitten has been a nice addition to the family and the dogs Deefer (basset hound) and Molly (beagle) have welcomed her as well. Blair's mobility around the house, in and out of chairs, as well as bed have improved leaps and bounds since being home. He has enjoyed playing video games, watching movies and working on his computers. Although access to the basement has not been installed as of yet he has made several trips into the basement with the help of a stair climber, lent to us from the Prince Albert Separate School Division, as well as a mattress and the children's little foam couch (don't ask). Okay, having said that I should let you all in on Blair's determination to do and be where he wants to be.

Determination Part 1...Getting into the basement... I was in the basement working on a take home final exam to finish up my semester at university. I heard a rustling at the top of the stairs. I knew right away what that would be because Blair had been talking about descending the full flight of stairs to the basement the day prior to this. So from the bottom of the basement stairs I see Blair at the top with our child's foam couch. He smiles at me as he is lying on the floor at the top of the stairs. Needing to complete my assignment within the following 30 minutes I plead for him to wait and head back to my computer. A few minutes later I hear "Terri.....could you please come here a minute" there is no panic in his voice but I can tell that he means now! I rush to the bottom of the stairs and what do I see...Blair four stairs down from the top, laying on the children's couch holding on for dear life. He quickly explains to me that his body is sliding and the couch is staying stuck. We easily get him to the base of the steps where I bring him his chair. Back at my computer a few minutes later I hear him passing my the door of the room where he proudly and with pride in his voice "I'm good no need to worry". Although now that I think of it this incident could have been a bad situation it was a controlled plan to get downstairs and an example of his determination. He was so pleased to be in the basement my concern for what he was thinking quickly disappeared.

Determination part 2...Sledding... Having to get the last of the christmas shopping done I headed off to town. Before I left I overheard or read on MSN that Blair had plans to ride snowmobiles that day. Certain again it may not be the best idea I questioned Blair about it. He told me he had thought about it but assured me that his plans had changed upon speaking to his brother Grant about how rough it was out there. The roughness was caused by little to no snow and very cold temperatures the days prior to this. I went off to town, came back to find out that he had in fact gone out for a little snowmobile ride that day. I know that riding is just in his blood and encompasses everything he is so it is no wonder he had to get out there on the first suitable sledding day.

Everyday is a challenge and a new experience. If there is anyone in this world that will not let anything stand in his way from doing everything he wants to it is Blair. It is remarkable to to see just how far he has come in such a short amount of time. I see why I have always had to be comfortable with any risks or outcomes that may be a result of Blair's lifestyle and career, he is simply happiest when he has a challenge to face and there really is nothing that can keep him down for very long.

Season's Greetings,
The Morgan's

Reply to Terri
Post #2Dawn Lawrence Floen (Saskatoon, SK) wroteon January 2, 2009 at 7:36pm
Sledding! That's awesome, Blair! I can just see the orange hair on the kid's couch and the wide smile/sparkling eyes coming down the stairs... That's just so you, Blair.

Glad you finished your last paper, Terri. Now you can relax a little.

Happy New Year you two and to the kids, of course.

PS:
was the kitty riding on your back down the stairs?
Reply to Dawn
Post #3Myrna Lawrence wrote2 hours ago
Since I was there from the time Blair was released from the hospital on week end passes until after Christmas I saw a lot of progress in Blair. It was amazing to see him improve daily. Sometimes very hard to see him struggling with what we consider a small task and wanting to just do it for him. I was there the day he went out for his little ride and wish that I would have had my camera ready to take a picture of him on his sled with a HUGE smile on his face. He didn't go fast and he didn't go far but he did go... Corbyn and Breck are amazing kids and spend countless hours on their very noisy ride on toys playing tag with Blair in his wheel chair on the ramps. Once Blair decides what vehicle will suit his needs he will be a lot more independent and that will make his life so much easier.

Blair did pick the best kitty he could have for his birthday present, I tease him that he has something hairy growing out of his body. Rotskins is his constant companion.... and is constantly laying on his shoulders or lap.

Best of luck in the New Year and both of you keep up the good work
Love Myrna/MomReply to Myrna

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Very good to know he is in high spirits & sounds like with a huge amount of determination LOL. Love the attempt to slide down the steps on the kids couch.

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
That guy is "all time".

Way to go Blair!

Premium Features