• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills Condition 2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Hi timhoward, for that size trailer, you are gonna want to get to Trailshead early. And I mean early on the weekends. We stayed at Rec. Springs last weekend and the trails were good to ride back and forth on early and late. Its up to you, but Trailshead fills up fast on the weekends, good luck!!!!

If Trailshead lot is full there is a lot approx. 1.5 miles South. They just plowed it yesterday however the approach to the highway will be a little dicey due to the blowing snow today.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Another 2 inches of snow at Hardy last night. Lots of blowing and drifting snow today. Had my first stuck of the season, although it did not help with the boat anchor of a sled that was tied to my bumper dragging me off the drifted trail into a hole. Went out tonight to deliver a tie rod and tools to one of the groomers who snapped a tie rod end on the snow-cat.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Do not I repeat do not take a trailer over 12' off the main hwy road in deadwood or lead. You can leave your trailer up at trailshead just tell Bob or Sandy you plan on leaving it there over night..

03RMK

Jan 26, 2011
Council Bluffs, IA
CTK, we've stayed at both Deadwood Gulch and Super 8 right on the edge of town several times with a crew cab dually truck and 35' enclosed and never had anything to worry about. Both are nice and clean, plus never had to move the truck all weekend with the shuttle service and cabs to get around town. The trail runs directly to both parking lots. We are thinking of heading up next weekend.

Porsy73

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2013
Amazing pics looks like tons of fun down there can't wait to get down there and play in some good snow.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
80 % of the snowmobiles in the Black hills ride trails only from my experience. Of the 20% that go off trail 10% stay approximately 1/2 to a mile of the trail. So you should be able to find some untouched snow is what I am telling you.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
At this point I am all in, riding fri,sat and sun. Hopefully I will wake up sat morning to a foot of fresh snow. I am not worried, just hope it will be colder than what is predicted.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The warm weather has set up the snow some but there still is powder in the trees. The trails are set up hard but some warmer weather and traffic will fix that. Some of the wind blown drifts in the meadows are hard. Chances of snow for Friday but no snowfall predictions yet.

H
Dec 31, 2007
I was there last weekend and was very pleased with the conditions. Very good base for off trail, which is seldom the case in the Hills. And I was very surprised at the lack of traffic, especially off trail. Hopefully they keep getting snow!

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Trail 7

Has anyone been down trail 7 to the Super8 motel in Lead? That usually is the first trail to melt down and was just wondering if it is still ridable. Also would like to ride 5T to Terry Peak. I see the snow is in good shape in the hills.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Rode today. The truth is the snow is not very good, Snow depth is 18 inches to 24. It does have a base so you can tractor up any slope without having to get into throttle , We did find some good spots and had fun carving and picking way through the trees. I guess its much better than ditch riding or river running but not really worth the time and money to travel imho. If you want to put on 200 miles a day trail riding I would recommend coming out for that, trails are in excellent condition.

Premium Features