• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

best way to alpine wy

S

swovay696

Mar 1, 2008
mn
Goin to alpine wy jan. I90 or i94. Anybody have a good route suggestion for me. Located in cental mn. Thanks

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Take I-90 to Gillette and then head south on WY 59 (Do not use WY 50 in the winter) to Reno Junction, then west on WY 387 to Midwest, then south on WY 259 to I-25, then south to Mills where you pick up US 20-26 west, just north of Casper.

You can stay on US-26 the rest of the way, but if you don't need to stop in Riverton for fuel or food you can save a lot of time bypassing it and taking WY 134 west, just after crossing the Boysen reservoir, then WY 133 south back to US-26. This is the fastest route.

motodad383

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
NEW ROUTE I TRIED LAST YEAR

Believe it or not the best route I've found, at least from Duluth,MN, is to take I-94 to Billings, then south to Lovell,Greybull, Basin and into Worland. You pickup US 20 in Worland, all the way to Shoshoni. Take US 26 west to Dubois, Jackson and on to Alpine. And, yea take the Pavillion shortcut south of Shoshoni, WY Hwy 134, which by-passes Riverton. I always fill up in Shoshoni. This route is 100 miles longer but cut my driving time by 3hrs. Used to take MN 23 to I-90 to Buffalo WY and over the Bighorns to Worland. I also tried the WY 59 route (I-25 out of Casper, to 387, to 59 into Gillette, once), and the Casper to Lusk to Edgemont, SD, to Hot Springs, SD, to Rapid City, SD where I caught I-90. Tried that way twice, once on the way home and once on the way out.
After 13 yrs. of going to Jackson for the Hillclimb and riding Union Pass and Togwotee I'll take the Billings route from now on. Too much wind and sketchy conditions all around Casper WY. Glad I had an inline trailer when I passed a semi once last year, she may have gone over with a 8' wide deck-over.

Just my .02. Good Luck:face-icon-small-coo

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Just a side note if you go the northern route to Bozeman and then south: avoid Hwy 22 Teton Pass to Jackson if you are trailering. That sucker is steep and winds all over and is frequently closed when it snows.

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
Just a side note if you go the northern route to Bozeman and then south: avoid Hwy 22 Teton Pass to Jackson if you are trailering. That sucker is steep and winds all over and is frequently closed when it snows.

Just an FYI, Teton Pass is closed in the winter to vehicles pulling trailers.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Just got back from there. Fantastic!
Not really sure if it's legal to go there if you are from MN and live south of Duluth. You may want to check that out before you leave. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features