• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt drives c3 vs tki vs mvm

J
Jan 17, 2010
emmett,idaho
Would like to hear some thoughts from guys and gals running any of these setups. I've been going around in circles in my head and cannot seem to decide which system might have an edge! all appear to be very quality built with alot of good reviews. I will be converting to a belt drive with 15 jackshaft on my 14 m8000 162" 2.6pc stage 2 slp. Any input welcome on the subject, thanks

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I'm a TKI fan. The design is straight forward and the install on 15 and newer jackshafts is a breeze. My kit has been on two sleds. I put about 600 miles on it with my 14 and probably have close to 300 miles with it on my 16. Still using the original belt, and have used three different top gears. Not one single issue. Tom is one of the best in the industry.

I have no experience with the other two.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I have 900 miles on the TKI unit in my 2014 900 prolite. Adjusted the belt twice when it was new at 10 miles and 100 miles and haven't touched it since. The blue coating on the Gates belt kind of makes a mess in the first 100 miles as it wears off but that has been the only gripe I can think of. As Chewy said, Tom is about as good as it gets to deal with.

I haven't run the MVM or C3 systems either. The new C3 systems are now made in China so that puts the other two ahead in my book right away.

richardderkevorkian

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2010
Soldotna AK
I've got around 1200 miles combined on two tki drives. Had a small problem with one of the top gears but it seems like an isolated incident and tom made it right immediately. I Wouldn't hesitate to buy another tki. Belt life has far exceeded my expectations.

Spider-One

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
Northwest Territories
Went with the MVM for my 16 as I couldn't find an easy source for a shaft in Canada and didn't want to drill or tap mine. Install was pretty easy a few questions I had were quickly answered. No issues so far 250 miles on the kit. If C3 were to have an optional shaft I'd likely chose them being in Canada.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Would like to hear some thoughts from guys and gals running any of these setups. I've been going around in circles in my head and cannot seem to decide which system might have an edge! all appear to be very quality built with alot of good reviews. I will be converting to a belt drive with 15 jackshaft on my 14 m8000 162" 2.6pc stage 2 slp. Any input welcome on the subject, thanks

I have installed several TKI and C3,s. both use same belt ,TKI will be my next BD as well for my next build.

Last edited:
L
Mar 14, 2008
Edgewood , Wa
TKI Belt drive

I have been running a TKI Belt drive on my ProLite and its a solid product. Fit and finish is great . No belt issues . Nothing but good thing to say about it .
Tom is also the type of guy who will take the time to answer questions and when you place a order he gets it out right away . Its one thing to have a great product it's another to have a great product and great service and Tom at TKI has both .

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
have c-3 on my 940, like the feel of a belt drive, different from the chain....no problems on c-3, seems like a quality product to me...got mine early last year, before china gears...i'm thinking the china stuff won't stay in production for very long, would like to hear from c-3 about that..

BlueDevil

Premium Member
Oct 19, 2013
I have 1400 miles on the TKI belt drive and it is flawless. All made in the good ol US of A! C3 is Chinese junk and MVM is new and unproven. Also not near the quality of the TKI bd. So TKI all the way.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Have a TKI on my 14 with boondocker turbo with tunnel dump belt drive was a breeze to install with aftermarket jackshaft had some issues but Tom adressed them instantly. Had to go with oil delete. Belt drive flawless for 300k other than blue dust.

snosurfer

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2008
Belt drive on 2012 proclimb

Bought and installed Mvm kit they claim the lowest weight and rotating mass of the three, super top quality billet cover and gears excellent install videos very smooth operation absolutely no problems with it would definitely buy again. Dean is great to work with and is very helpful. I know their new in the game but they've done their homework give them a chance you won't be disappointed!

S
Aug 15, 2009
I went with MVM last year. I have around 800 miles on the set up still with the original belt. Those guys are awesome to deal with! I was at a hillclimb, had a couple questions and they called me on a Sunday. I have the weights on file somewhere if you need a part break down. They where the only company that didnt have me drill and tap the jackshaft on my 15. I even got a phone a call in the fall to see how I liked the set up from last and a call a month ago wondering how the snow was out here in the midwest! A+ ratings (Coming from a Tech Ed teacher)

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I went with the MVM it is the lightest of the three kits and very high quality part. Its on mine an d my buddies 925 with three inch track k. We have risen these sleds hate and the belt drive has held up without a single flaw. Easy yo get a hold of and great guys to work with.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I've got the MVM belt drive on my 15 PC. I haven't tried any of the others, so I have no experience with them, but I do know that I've put some hard hours and miles on the MVM and literally have had ZERO issues.

The drive performs exactly as described. There is a noticeable difference in performance and engine acceleration between a stocker with a chain case compared to the belt drive. This was one of the first things I was interested in testing when I got mine. Two 15 PC 800's, one with the chain case and one with MVM belt drive. Both riders I was with had the chance to try them out for comparison and both came back with the same feedback.

One of the things I appreciate the most out of the MVM belt drive, is the quality and craftsmanship of work. I had the chance to meet and ride with Dean from MVM and picked his brain a bit about the machining process, tooling, programing, etc. If I remember right, everything is machined from 6061-T6 aluminum.

Regardless of the direction you decide to take, you won't be disappointed by making the upgrade. I am just speaking from my personal experience that I have had with Dean at MVM and I know for a fact that if I ever did have a problem, he would be right there to make sure I have a solution immediately. Customer service can sometimes lack in the snowmobile industry and so many people get frustrated with bad dealers, vendors, etc. It is nice having a company step up and back their product 100% without having to worry about all the BS.

If you want, give Dean a call at MVM and run your questions by him. He can pretty much answer and give you a good idea as to what the install requires and anything else to do with their product!

MVM Motorsports
Dean Harris (435) 563-3632

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Random ,,,,,,,,,but gates is mostly made out of china now they got bought out like 3 months ago

Not sure if this is related, but TKI posted on Facebook a little over a week ago that they were seeing some counterfeit gates belts being made in India. They still had USA printed on them but the print type didn't look the same as the real gates belt.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Not sure if this is related, but TKI posted on Facebook a little over a week ago that they were seeing some counterfeit gates belts being made in India. They still had USA printed on them but the print type didn't look the same as the real gates belt.

That's my day job is industrial sales and yes gates is sold still gates name but different owners ive noticed different things also, on all items. if it was me id look in goodyear belts or even a epdm,

M

M8 Turbo

Jan 2, 2014
gods counrty
TKI

I bought two kits last year for 2015 m800 nice and easy install had to call and ask a few question and Tom was more than willing to help out. Had top gear issue as well but Tom replaced gear no question asked which would make me buy another kit from him. TKI all the way

Premium Features