• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battle Gear Part 2

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
46.jpg

I use this EVS "web knee brace system" to support my wobbly knees and allow me to continue to ride or otherwise the game is OVER. A bit cumbersome initially but great protection from impact (both knee cap and shin) and the hinge system can be set to assist in supporting and stabilizing your knees. (no more hyper extending and that is awesome for me!) They are whats called anatomically correct so they mimic your normal natural knee motion.

Super expensive but the alternative is retirement...these pretty much saved my riding year last season.

check em out at EVS-SPORTS.com

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
46.jpg

I use this EVS "web knee brace system" to support my wobbly knees and allow me to continue to ride or otherwise the game is OVER. A bit cumbersome initially but great protection from impact (both knee cap and shin) and the hinge system can be set to assist in supporting and stabilizing your knees. (no more hyper extending and that is awesome for me!) They are whats called anatomically correct so they mimic your normal natural knee motion.

Super expensive but the alternative is retirement...these pretty much saved my riding year last season.

check em out at EVS-SPORTS.com

Thanks for the heads up on these, I tore my PCL and did some other damage to my knee last season. Foot got stuck in the toe hold of my Dragon, the Snow Eliminators on it did not help the situation.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had a similar question to the OP. Do you guys were the shin/knee guards above your boots or on top. Under your pants? Also, I run really hot. Usually only wear a base layer and my jacket, only add a layer if its REALLY cold. Will I cook in a Tek Vest?

I had a similar question to the OP. Do you guys were the shin/knee guards above your boots or on top. Under your pants? Also, I run really hot. Usually only wear a base layer and my jacket, only add a layer if its REALLY cold. Will I cook in a Tek Vest?

I'm the same way and run hot while sledding. I wear a under armor long sleeve heat shirt, tekvest then my klim powercross pullover (note the powercross pullover is just a shell with no insulation value) and its perfect. Then usually keep a heavier/mid layer in my pack. Shin/knee guards go under your snow pants...I think you would get some laughs or end up like the NMFH thread if you wore them outside your pants. Depending on the boots the bottom of the shinguard will be just above the top of your boots or tucked right into the bottom of your boots.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Do you use these because of a previous injury? I tore a couple of ligaments in my left knee and need something like these to ride this year. Where did you find them?

I did tear an ACL a few years back, and hope to avoid any more of that in the future. Those EVS braces, and the asterisk seem to be the top of the line when it comes to off the rack motorsports knee braces. I ordered mine through a sled dealership.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I did tear an ACL a few years back, and hope to avoid any more of that in the future. Those EVS braces, and the asterisk seem to be the top of the line when it comes to off the rack motorsports knee braces. I ordered mine through a sled dealership.

Thanks for the reply to my question, I found one of the EVS braces on e-bay for a good deal and snapped it up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Last year I bought the Asterisk II knee braces. They have Boa's in them and are really easy to get the fit just right. I did have some problems with them sliding down a bit which really gets uncomfortable. I actually rigged a set of the soft Klim suspenders on each one. I run these pretty tight up over my shoulder and cross them. The left knee brace is held up by the suspender over my right shoulder and vice versa. Keeps them perfectly in place and now I forget i even have them on. Until I end up dropping a knee on the Air Frames and my pants get shredded. Sure glad I have them on then. A traction screw to the knee cap would smart a bit. My boys use the hard shell knee pads and those stay in place really well. They are so light and your boot tops hold them up pretty well too.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I have tried quite a number of knee/shin pads. in order of best to worst. I will only wear a slip on pad with straps as well or they just wont play in place in a crash.
1. Race Face Flank
2. THE Storm ( pain in the *** to get on and off and wore out quickly, but super light and stay in place )
3. Thor Force ( bit bulky, lots of chafing from the velcro if worn right next to skin )
4. 661 EVO ( fall apart quickly but they are comfortable and stay in place, no shin protection )

worthless...
5. EVS Pastrana ( Super light, but don't stay in place, velcro chafes )
6. Anything resembling those Fox ones above where the knee cap is just floating...doesn't work at all.

I don't snowmobile yet. but I ride XC Moto, and do mountain biking.

The only pads that have ever stayed in place for me in a crash are the full wrap ones with straps... all others just get knocked out of place when you wreck and are worthless.

I use these for Moto and Mountain biking, Race Face Flank's with d30 ( that soft stuff that hardens instantly on impact ).

Mine are an older version of these that fully wrap around my leg like a neoprene sock.. Im not sure it sounds like their new ones don't do that though which sucks!..
http://www.raceface.com/guards/legs/flank-leg/

3102.jpg

These are the older full wrap ones I have http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/raceface-flank-lw-leg-guards-2012/rp-prod67500

Last edited:
T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Update... My Asterisks are fully junk, and unusable after 3 seasons. Decent life IMO, and the protection has been great. I think I am going to try out the EVS this upcoming season. The elastic pieces that hold the knee cap guard on the Asterisk were constantly breaking, and needing to be replaces. Asterisk would always send me replacements for free, but it was still kind of a pain. The EVS have more of a hinged attachment that I am hoping is more durable.

Premium Features