• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avid drivers

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Seeing what's people's thoughts are on the avid powerclaw drivers on the matryx shaft.
I got a second driveshaft for track swaps. And the powerclaw style drivers don't look like they will have the support from the short splines on the shaft. Looks like they would be about an inch short. Is this OK? Or am I asking for problems?
I didn't realize there was two different shafts. One with long and one with short splines. The one I have appears to be a new takeoff and came with the junk center 3.5 drivers.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I am also swapping out the Series 8 for a 3" PC with the M series drivers from Avid but I don't have the rails in my possession yet so I haven't ripped into it.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Your driveshaft probably has the longer splines on it. Mine looks like the 2.6 track shaft that came on my 146.
Your drivers will probably be completely on the splines. I put mine on for the hell of it and there is an inch without support under the extro teeth.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
That doesn't seem like a lot of meat to grip. I would be leery.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Yeah I'm not really digging it.
The shaft was suposed to come as the older hex style but came as the new one. I'm probably not going to run it unless I hear some good reports

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
These are the shafts that the center drivers come with. I called avid and they said it would be fine. But if you were to run the skidoo style driver you need the driveshaft with the splines to the end.
Why Polaris machined off the splines is beyond stupid.

20221231_202421.jpg 20221231_124927.jpg

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
I haven't run the 3.5 drivers and track this year. Been running 3 inch on old ayxs shaft I have. Avid did tell me that they will be ok though.

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
The Mseries drivers will work with both shafts, the short splined shaft and the full length splined. There is plenty of engagement with the short splined shaft.

IF you want to use a 2022/23 Series 8, Skidoo/Lynx, or camso 250lx/350lx (these are all 3.5 pitch) on a short splined shaft you must use the Avid T3 short splined drivers. They are extended toward the center of the shaft, engaging the more spline. We’ve been using these with out any problems.

Andy

Premium Features