• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Avalanche awareness class

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Thumbs up to BRP for doing a bunch of these each year.

while it’s not a true avalanche course, these sessions always get me back into the frame of mind to practice practice practice...

Twistgrip

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2012
Thumbs up to BRP for doing a bunch of these each year.

while it’s not a true avalanche course, these sessions always get me back into the frame of mind to practice practice practice...
So it's not a real avalanche class? Is it still worth going? I'm going to one in Minneapolis MN on Oct 25th.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
The ones we have here (Canada) are a short evening session, properly called an "awareness" class

they are great as an annual refresher, or an introduction to Avy safety. I highly recommend attending, and also highly recommend following up with AST 1 if you haven't done that yet. It's an eye opener.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
I teach avalanche classes so I'm biased, I agree that an evening indoors is a good start but it isn't a replacement for hands on practice in the field. The best part of any avalanche training that includes time in the field is that you can get feedback from the trainer to help you take better action in the field and be a better riding partner. The main point of any course should be how to avoid getting in an avalanche in the first place and still have fun.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
Mike Duffy classes are well worth it, especially since they are free. If you've never taken any avalanche awareness classes it might be mind blowing for you. In any event, it's good to get your mind thinking about the season and stoke up your crew to start practicing.

Premium Features