• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are nytros a good sled

M
Jan 2, 2016
I'm wondering if a 2009 or around that year nytros are good sleds it would definitely be turbo charged or supercharged are they a good sled to play and go into deep snow I've ridden a turbo apex for maybe 5 minutes
But it's been so long since then I've just heard people saying they're way too heavy but I just want to get some info maybe what setup I should run if I could afford a viper I would get one but I don't have that type of money right now just looking for some basic info and things I should know before I purchase my first 4 stroke sled

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
try to get the newest one you can get your hands on on your price ranges. 08 was the first year and the worst handling out of the bunch. Nytro have very weak front sub frames if you catch a ski wrong. There are gusset kits out there but if you are buying a used one make sure the front shocks are centered between the upper a-arm if their not, that is a sign that the Sub frame is twisted pretty common problem. sub-frames run about $500 for new or you can bend it back and use a gusset kit. Nytro's are front end heavy more so then the Apex because of poor front end geometry. There are several front end kits out there that are either 3" or 4" forward meaning they move the spindles forward from stock location which balances out the sled better. They are worth every penny. The kits don't solve the poor geometry problem but they make major improvements in handling of the sled. Most find the handle bars in a uncomfortable position and op for a steering relocator that moves the bars up and forwards to get them in a better more vertical position. It seems people either like them or hate them. there is no in between. there is a lot of potential in the sled but it take a lot of money and time dealing things is to get them to work well. Motor is pretty much bulletproof for low boost applications. All in all they are decent sleds but you have realize going in they are 60 lbs heavier then anything out there and it cost a lot of money to improve them. OH I forget the OEM track suck!!! so you either have to go powerclaw or Camo extreme. a track makes a night and day difference

Last edited:

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
Agree with the above and will add:

Stock running boards collect a lot of snow - skinz airframes or similar

Stock gas tank is small - plan on a tunnel can or larger tank if you regularly ride long distances or in deep snow that will use a lot of gas

No storage on the sled - use a tunnel pack, windshield bag, backpack or some combination to carry stuff with you

My advice would be to find a 2010 or newer sled that has a 190 turbo on it. Chances are it will also have some of these mods done already.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes they are heavy.
I had two of them, 1 turbo, 1 supercharged.

The bigger and stronger you are the better the sled rides.

Buy the Nytro for 3 possible reasons.

#1. Longevity.

#2. Power

#3. Killer Deal on price

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I like mine and would agree with all the above comments. If you are interested I might sell it. It is a 2011 with a Push turbo upgraded to the 250 kit, Timbersled skid, 3" Camo Extreme conversion, Mountain Tech front end, Skinz boards (just installed last weekend) tall WRP seat just installed and rollover valve, bars forward, Rotopax, bags, handguards, Fly bars, Sly Dogs, skid plate etc...etc...

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Are they a good sled? Yes in the 90's they would've been a good sled, but its 2016 now:face-icon-small-win

In all seriousness they are tough and reliable, make great power when turbo'd but almost unrideable in Technical terrain. Of course that all depends on how you define "technical terrain"

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Rode an '09 non boosted, and loved it... once I got it set up properly.
They aren't as easy to get a good set up as the Apex or Vipers are, but theres plenty of guys out there that know what they're doing, and know what works and what doesn't. I put on a BDX post, air frames, Floats on the front, CE 2.5. Would have loved to try it with boost and a Skinz front, but the price just wasn't feasible. Ended up going with a new boosted Viper this year. If you're in a crunch on money, I wouldn't hesitate for a Nytro that has the front end and all the goodies on it. Otherwise I would seriously consider doing a Viper.

Premium Features