• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic Cat's purpose built Snow Bike...... any updates on this ?????

R
Nov 16, 2016
I understand that Arctic Cat is applying for patents regarding their proposed "purpose built" Snow Bike.

From what I've read, the company is toying with the idea of a 450cc 4 stroke engine and a 600cc 2 stroke engine.
They also plan to use a CVT in lieu of a spur gear transmission and clutch arrangement.

What I love about this proposed idea.... is that is will NOT be built using a Motorcycle chassis, or even a modified Motorcycle chassis.
Quote: "The application implies a product built by Arctic Cat from the ground up, which would allow several advantages over the requirement of adapting a donor bike from another manufacturer" such as with a Timbersled!

Here's some info:
  • The application shows the use of a continuously variable transmission (CVT), which would be better suited for the application than the manual transmission used in donor dirt bikes
  • An engine air handling system positions the air intake above the engine, with a rearward facing intake port
  • By rotating the engine 180˚, the exhaust system is placed in a linear configuration within the chassis and tunnel of the vehicle, thereby preventing contact with the user (and melting those expensive snow bibs!)
  • A drop fork component reduces weight of the vehicle and allows better adjustment of the handlebars
  • The size and length of the fork can be reduced
  • Components, including the engine and gas tank, can be placed lower and farther forward in the purpose-built frame, allowing a lower center of gravity for better handling and balance
  • The drive shaft can be placed closer to the foot pegs than is possible with a snow bike kit
  • The vehicle can be made lighter overall than a typical snow bike kit

If I'm understanding this, Arctic Cat's patent is being slowed down by EPA certifications and over-snow vehicle classifications and regulations.
So why doesn't Arctic Cat put this new machine a into "Single Ski Snowmobile" class, and forgo all of the EPA BS ?

If they pull this off, I'd be interested in the 600cc 2 stroke engine version.

What, if any, updates do you guys have?

1618140507984.png

1618141556310.png

1618140316350.png

Last edited:

Super 8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2012
The 400 single cylinder 2-stroke efi that it started with had cooling issues, not enough snow tossed at the cooler, hence the motorcycle engine was used.
Textron dumped the single ski machine and utilized the 400 engine in the new blast chassis.

R
Nov 16, 2016
I have spent a very short time on a KTM 500 w/ the Timberseld kit. It was very fun to ride, especially through the trees!

My findings, as well as with a few of my friends who own them:

High center of gravity makes it top heavy.
Difficult to stand up if you were to tip over.
Small fuel capacity.
An auxiliary fuel tank near the AFT area of the tunnel somewhat hinders the rear suspension.
Not much cushion with the OEM seat.
The need for the hand lever clutch is somewhat awkward, but is doable!
No issues with the twist throttle in lieu of the thumb throttle.

Premium Features