• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat lineup pretty lame and disappointing!!!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I really like the 1000, and generally, i guess i was just really surprised by the limited powerplants???

Maybe it's enough to satisfy most. Just a drastic reduction from what we are seeing in the past.

340, 440, air cooled, 440 liquid cooled, 500 fan, 600, 800, 1000.

I realize that some of the above engines may not have been around last year or two? I don't know, has cat being trimming down for a few years? Anyways, just seems short to me.

My .02......The Cat lineup is being driven by the poor economy and the emissions/sound requirements.
More models is more R&D/cost/tooling/inventory.....Cat cannot afford this.
They don't have (to the best of my knowledge) a EPA compliant 2 stroke injection system that is tested in a sled application.
Their ONLY choice if they want to continue to build sleds is to go 4-stroke....perhaps more 2-strokes in the future if they develop their own engine and DI system.
Look at what guys have liked about the Cat mountain sleds for the last several years.....simple, light, proven design. That's been Cat's foothold in the mountain market. So instead they go to a heavier 4-stroke?? The complete opposite of what the Cat faithful have been wanting..???
IMO they had no choice but to offer this lineup to be compliant.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Oh come on Brew.... Cat could have made a 600 , a turbo 2 stroke, maybe a 440 and a 441:face-icon-small-fro. Prob could have made them 400 lbs and had at least 5 years warranty and a lease program as well. I dont know why they didnt make a 700 cuz a 600 is a lil too small and a 800 is a lil too big:face-icon-small-con. A 700 would have been the perfect size:face-icon-small-dis. They should deliver them right to your door too , like i have time to actually go get it , geeeziz what are they thinking:nod: ! The 50 years they have spent building sleds ,they have learned nothing , geepeerz they just havent been listening at ALLLL :scared:. Im so upset im going to go look for a new purse and maybe get a mannipetti and latte.:bathbaby:

Signed all the whiners on snowest:wave:

Last edited:

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I am thinking that for the mountain segment, there is not much need for a 600 class sled. Other than your young teenage kid just graduating from a small sled, who else would really buy one?

The 120hp class sled is offered... it is just heavy. But again, anyone interested enough in boondocking, tree riding, climbing and serious back country is not going to consider it anyways... hence the 800 and 1100T. I think there are more people out there excited with the new arrival of a full warranty 4 stroke turbo that makes 177hp @10,000ft than guys who are pissed there is no more 1000.

The EPA is a huge hurdle for cat I'm thinking. The biggest issue is technology. Not that cat does not have it, but more that there are issues with Patents on the technology that works to meet the EPA standards.

There have been rumors that cat has been sitting on DI for the last 4 years but they have not been able to "tread the needle" on getting past patent infringement. It is this or their tech is not reliable enough to put to market or they are still not compliant.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
It's all about credits........

By selling a lot of fourstrokes, they insure the production of their two strokes.
The St. Cloud plant is going to make them. That takes commitment.

Owen

W
Sep 30, 2009
Cle Elum, WA
You sure know how to back down when someone calls you on your crap. Good for you. You also seem to have 20.20 hindsight , how fortunate for you that you can pick out the mistakes made by major corps in the past , a rare and unique talent Im sure. Lemme guess you also know that GM should have done things differently in the past too? You want something constructive .... dont post your LAME opinions on things you know nothing about , better?:wave:

WHOA! Easy fella.

M
Feb 27, 2010
twin pipes would would make the non turbo 1100 sound like its fast.
it comes with twins to the can so it wouldn't be hard.i think the non-turbo well still out climb a current stock nytro.and one other thing people are missing is that the 1100 turbo is a front mount that well have way less lag then any180kit 4 a nytro.also i bet it won't take long till someone builds a supercharger for the non-turbo.

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
Yeah, cause then we can have a bunch of Cats AND a bunch of Yammi's that are frustrating, finicky and work once in a while. Hey, I got a great idea, lets see if MPI will make one . LOL. $ Only $5000 cdn approx and you too can spend most of your time tuning and fiddle farting around instead of riding. Oh joy.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
IMO......not much to choose from ehh?

An 800 twin and an 1100 4 stroke, that's it? Ya, ya, I knkow they have different packages, shocks, track length, color, but only 2 powerplants? Kind of sucks doesn't it?

Pretty lame if you ask me, beginning of the end?

I haven't seen any other threads regarding this, to me this was quite a surprise.

Disappointing??? not at all!!!!

Last edited:

butch1969

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
I heard 2014 = no more 2 stroke. Just saying what I heard. EPA is a B*itch either way.

Speeedracer

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2006
Kanasas
crack me up!! Nothing new, disappointing!?!? wowser......

Yeah, all conjecture at this point.......but guess the turbo will still weigh in as the lightest, most nible mountain sled with a great motor on the market, (I assume). No changes? Lawd........different secondary,(2) steering post, different chain case, front end geometry with diff a arms/etc., different tunnel/chassis packaged in a different body? Seriously, nothing new to rave about? What about the turbo in XF, that's gotta be unique. I think that 2.25 track in the xf high country has great potential in a flickable mountain sled.

Keep dreaming boys, the sled is what it is. Its a big turbo in a mountain sled trying to meet emissions. Will still be the most adaptable sled for aftermarket parts so relax. Peeps wanting the 600? Lawd, 600 engines been in mountain sleds in all manufact before.........and doubt they ditched it for reasons other than it just didn't sell.

I wish summer would get here, so I could move on to the boating forums to drool over the chica's in the 'kini's..............

.........carry on. :wine::beer;

Premium Features