• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

apex crank timing marks??

S
Feb 18, 2008
the service manual shows 1 timing mark on (I) on stator (behind small plastic cap)but my 2007 apex has 1 mark and 1/4 " away there are 2 marks.

upon dissasembly to instal head shim for super charger cam shaft marks (little circles were lined up with arrows when the timing mark was centered between the 2 slashes that were close together.

the service manual only shows a single mark??
head shim installed and the marks which were lined up originally still line up correctly as do the cam shaft dots.

instrucions say to grind bolt holes on gears to line up marks as head shim moves cams off .8mm.

any ideas or what am i doing wrong?

oh ya there was slight movement in the bolt holes on the cam gears, which we were able to move a smig but no where near the .8mm they are asking for,my marks line up perfectly everytime. is there any other reason why they would grind to retard the cams or line back up??

Last edited:
W

WesG

Nov 26, 2007
Chetwynd, BC
Cam timing marks.

You want to line up with the SINGLE mark on the stator. Not the two marks! The two marks with the wiggly line between them are for ign timing. The exhaust cam should be slightly towards the back of the sled while the intake should be slightly towards the front of the sled with the head shim installed. The changes are VERY SLIGHT. MAKE sure you have all the tension on the intake side of the chain so that the chain tensioner can take up the slack or your timing will be ***ged when you put it together. I have had very good luck with splitting one stock gasket and spraying with loctite gasket sealant. Torque it using the procedure over on ty4stroke.com. No problems with doing it this manner up to 18lbs boost.

Wes

S
Feb 18, 2008
was just in the garage again looking at this marks. yes there is the 1 mark and then the two very close together, so you use the single mark all alone. ok so with that lined up if i am not mistaken the cams are ahead of the marks, if you grind the gears what is to stop them from walking, if you look at the shoulder on the bolt it kinda centers the gear on the bolt. have you ever had a problem with them walking or backing off? i will have another look at it tomorrow

thank you for the info

S
Feb 18, 2008
thanks happy i looked at the link and is exactly what i am stuck with and i see what wes is saying about the line between the two marks i have been focusing on. i will re align tomorrow night with the first line as shown in the pictures and see what the hell, i also had some movement on the gears so i could move the cams quite a bit either way. regaurdless if the cams are advanced a slight bit would that not give me more in the bottom end?? but i think i am thinking too much and its late. thanks for the help guys will get you for a cold one some day i hope.

Premium Features