• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone pulling a 28' Mirage Xtreme Sport with a 1/2 Ton??

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I've got several miles with my travel trailer and 1/2 ton Tundra with bags and a WD hitch....it's no problem at all. That said, not sure the WD hitch in the winter is the right setup. It really depends if you're talking about high-speed interstate stuff, or twisty mountain roads. As Matte said...getting the whole truck/trailer situation level is the key to good handling. Bags let you do that.

Haha of course you have a Tundra, that's all everyone drives in Nelson.

My rule of thumb has always been "Never pull a trailer that is heavier than the vehicle pulling it" No matter what the spec says it can pull.

So how are all the guys with big boats pulling them around? I pulled a boat weighting 14k lbs on the scale with a 7700 lb Dmax all over the Great Lakes for 10 yrs, and quite often. Towing all comes with experience. More you do it, more you realize what you can do safely.

I also pulled a 7x26 aled trailer all over Mi in the winter months. Dang near every weekend. Avg trip was 600-800 miles RT. All these were done with a half ton as Dmax was stored winters (MI uses salt). Granted it wasnt in the mountains but I have no doubt it could done.

C
Mar 15, 2020
What is the real benefit to a 7'5" vs 7' wide trailer? I am looking at a 7.5 x 27 or 29 with 6" extra height. Any recommendations? Live in CO, so I'm not driving half way across America. LOL.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
IMO the advantage of the 7 or 7.5 is deck height. They handle better in the wind and the lower deck is easier to load. I have a 7x25 now and love it, BUT I will go back to an all sport or a deck over next time. I need to be able to comfortably fit 5. I have also looked at some car trailers with a low deck and tall fenders on the inside, but it’s hard to find a vnose with a front ramp door.

C
Mar 15, 2020
I agree with the lower deck. However, in the backcountry you need a little more clearance due to the conditions. Can you fit 5 in your 7x25? Does that 25’ include the V?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
The 25 includes the v. 20 ft box. 4 is tight, but they go. Never fit 5, but I am not into taking things apart to load them. I run 4 in the front door, and park them close.

I
Dec 21, 2016
My rule of thumb has always been "Never pull a trailer that is heavier than the vehicle pulling it" No matter what the spec says it can pull.

Think about that statement for a minute and how unrealistic it is. I’m all for safety and think that rated tow capacity can be ambiguous and misunderstood...but c’mon. Do you realize how much stuff wouldn’t move an inch if the trailer outweighed the truck?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Think about that statement for a minute and how unrealistic it is. I’m all for safety and think that rated tow capacity can be ambiguous and misunderstood...but c’mon. Do you realize how much stuff wouldn’t move an inch if the trailer outweighed the truck?

I know it is asking a lot. All I'm saying is it is "my" rule of thumb for staying out of all kinds of trouble. If your truck weighs 8000 lbs and you pull a trailer any lighter than that it should never jack your truck around too much. Now if your truck weighs 6000 lbs and your trailer is 10,000 lbs you can expect some scary moments in the wind or when you jump into a tight corner too fast.

J

Joes271

Nov 17, 2014
Green Bay, WI
What’s the tongue weight? I have an older 24’ mirage and tow it with a 2500 Ram Diesel with air bags. 17,000 lb trailer tow rating but the trailer tongue weight is very heavy. No way would I feel comfortable with a 1/2 ton. But maybe the newer ones are lighter on the tongue?
The scale says between 6-700 lbs when sitting level.

Premium Features