• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone Experienced with Mini Excavators?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Bought some raw land on which to build a house in the coming year. Build as in I'm going to GC it and hire out the bulk of the trades. Land needs the full meal deal - clearing trees/brush, installing septic tank, bringing services from lot line, and eventually bringing in some fill and top soil for backfilling, landscape, etc, etc. Will be trying to "finish" approx 1 acre. I'm toying with the idea of buying a mini excavator to help with the project, so I could tackle the initial clearing, prep, landscaping, trench digging, etc, myself. Plan to hire a full size machine for the foundation digging itself, which might also include some rock hammering.

Considering something in the 3.5 to 5 ton range....would like to be able to legally tow it with a 3500 pickup. Anyone who works with these things, or has been down this road before.....do you think there's enough benefit in buying one for that situation? I'm not rich, so I wouldn't want it just for a toy....but thinking it might be smart money and pay for itself, or at least pay for its own depreciation and then some over the next couple years - thoughts?

What's the maintenance like...I'd be looking at a used unit, and hours typically seem to be in the 2-3500 range on the ones you see for sale. I'm sure it depends how well it's been kept up. Any brands better than any of the others as far as cost of ownership? Seems most are JD's, some Cats, some Bobcats, the odd Komatsu....any to avoid? I'm a mechanical guy in general, and can drive anything....but 0 experience with excavators. I know running it will be a learning experience on its own lol

Would also get some side benefit, as we co-own a backcountry/wilderness/whatever you want to call it vacation property that could use some work....and is a pain to hire machinery for, due to remote location. So it could do some work for $$ there, but not enough to be worthwhile for that alone. I'd probably sell it when that and the house were done, unless I fell in love with it along the way lol. Any insight appreciated!

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Your final paragraph answered my first question, which was "can you use it as a tax deduction?"
Since you can, I would say do it. I would also say that you likely will not sell it when you're done.
I would also say to not let friends, family or neighbors know you have it!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I imagine a guy could probably do ok renting it out, but that might be tough to keep up with breakage/maintenance at that point? That said....probably wouldn't have to even trailer it anywhere for a couple years to rent it out....my lot is in a new rural subdivision with a bunch of neighboring builds going up over the next couple years, all need landscaping and blah blah blah.

That would probably work on the $$ end.....might be tough to weed out who's know what they're doing vs. who's going to trash it tho

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
All good units , the first three are top of the line . There's a crap load of manufactures , hydraulic pump output is what makes a good skid and you can go down a rabbit hole too but those three have that figured out .
A majority use numbers like a 30 series or a 50 that might be more than what I think you need and some of those numbers don't have anything to do with the others . A thumb attachment is a handy feature so you can grab things with the bucket and a really nice feature is a bucket that also tilts from side to side . Have them throw in multiple buckets for trenching and clean up , a six way blade for clean up I would consider to be the minimal option .
Cab can be something you either need or can live without . Some guys would prefer a bucket and back hoe and others a dozer . They are all pretty good for racking up the hour meter unless your one of those guys that can wreck an anvil . Saddle time makes all the difference in the world .

Like Mafesto said , off limits to the brother in law :) A lot of options so you need to figure out what you want to do with it .

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
All good units , the first three are top of the line . There's a crap load of manufactures , hydraulic pump output is what makes a good skid and you can go down a rabbit hole too but those three have that figured out .
A majority use numbers like a 30 series or a 50 that might be more than what I think you need and some of those numbers don't have anything to do with the others . A thumb attachment is a handy feature so you can grab things with the bucket and a really nice feature is a bucket that also tilts from side to side . Have them throw in multiple buckets for trenching and clean up , a six way blade for clean up I would consider to be the minimal option .
Cab can be something you either need or can live without . Some guys would prefer a bucket and back hoe and others a dozer . They are all pretty good for racking up the hour meter unless your one of those guys that can wreck an anvil . Saddle time makes all the difference in the world .

Like Mafesto said , off limits to the brother in law :) A lot of options so you need to figure out what you want to do with it .
Good info thanks! Yes the family and friends program could be dangerous....paint it flat black and hide it lol

I know (just enough) to know I definitely want a thumb (lots of rocks and trees to pick up), and definitely the little dozer blade as well. Digging, trenching, and clean up buckets. I'd been pretty green on it...but I have good mechanical sympathy, and generally my stuff runs forever, so I would hope to be good at not breaking it, even if initial production is low.

Something like a JD 35D or G seems to be the most prevalent ....would that seem pretty in-line with what I'm thinking to do?

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Jaynelson, I'm not an authority or a contractor but, with family members we have built new homes from ground up seven times. Although I now have an excavator, end loader, and crane that are better at certain things, I did most of the work with a tractor backhoe. I dug couple of the foundations, dug stumps, moved dirt, dug skeptics and drain fields with the tractor backhoe. I have never used a mini excavator but understand they are great for certain jobs. If I could only have one piece of equipment it would be a 4 wheel drive tractor backhoe with front bucket. It will dig trenches for well/septic, foundation, stumps etc and can move and level fill, top soil etc. It's very beneficial to have a front bucket to move brush, stone, etc. Depending on size of tractor backhoe they will push over good sized trees then pull out stump and move in one piece. One of our tractor backhoes is over 10,000 (JD 500) and will push over a big tree. Another benefit of tractor backhoe is it can be driven down the road and negate the need for a trailer. On several occasions we have driven one of our tractor backhoes more than ten miles between job sites ( thinking of your rental). We have owned Case, JD, Kubota, Caterpiller, and Terex. Preference by manufacturer is dependent of the piece of equipment. I have had good luck with all manfactures mentioned. Hope this helps.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Dooman - thanks for the info, hadn’t considered the backhoe, but that’s a good call. I’ll have to check out that option. I do have some access to a small loader and skid steer, but an all-in-one machine would be slick. You don’t see the little tractors much around here, but tons of mini-ex’s. I know tractors are everywhere in eastern Canada...I’m not well versed enough to say why...steep terrain maybe lends itself to the mini more so? Dunno.

hard to find this stuff used...maybe Covid crazy retail has bought up everything in this industry as well.

that Honda wheelbarrow is too cool, and yes Mafesto is right...full bronco pics required.

leisureexpress

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 27, 2008
Yup, another vote for a TLB - Tractor Loader Backhoe, I own one.

I've run excavators from the 4000 lb size for digging an in ground trampoline, through the middle of 25,000 - 40,000 lb excavators to stack up 68 dump truck loads of boulders for a retaining wall at my house, all the way through a Cat 329 at 67,000 lb which was totally badass and very effective for digging through lava rock in Idaho for a cabin vs hammering or blasting, but in the end you cannot beat the versatility of a TLB / backhoe if you only can have one.

The versatility of the backhoe is key. I'm probably biased because I started running one when I was 12 years old, but you can really get some stuff moved and done with one. Dig, move dirt or snow, forks on the bucket to assist in building materials, roadable for short distances (expect a 15-18mph with them), etc.

My favorites which are within the same dollar cost of 15-25k as a mini ex that you might be considering are (all in the 13,000 - 14000 lb range) first the John Deere 310D or 310E, or a Cat 316, 316B or maybe a 316C, then the Case 580E or 580K (they have the excellent Cummins 4cyl) but personally I never made friends with the Case 4 stick is the only reason why I put them 3rd, JD controls on the hoe are just natural. A Case TLB with JD controls would be a top contender if condition were the same. Same goes for Cat controls vs JD controls on an EX, I just never got the nack of them.

Definitely get the extendahoe too if possible, and a fixed thumb is good, but a hydraulic thumb is invaluable when picking stuff up or stacking rock.

And it should go without saying that 4x4 in a TLB is a must, they are SO much more capable, I'd still get a 2wd if that's all your local market budget $ allows, but I would only pay half as much.

www.heavyequipmentforums.com is a pretty good source to research the topic too.

Excavators are great at digging, but fall short on doing the next steps of the work. If you have an unlimited budget get an excavator, a loader and a forklift and your work would get done quicker, but if you only can have one then get a TLB.

Last edited:

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
Yeah, extendahoe is very helpful and a hydralic thumb would be cats azz. Of course all add cost. As leisure said if you can't afford the 4 wd with extras a 2wd (that's what our 500 is) will get the job done. You will get good at using the hoe to get unstuck?. Prior to covid one could find a decent shape 2wd tlb in our area for 12,000 range.
Fwiw, pounding stone is hard on the hoe. Maybe rent a machine for that? That's what my 72,000lb cat excavator is for?.

If well maintained, all makes will do the job and be reliable. We have had both case and jd. I am impressed with our jd so even compare would go jd over case but generally case cheaper. Cat at top too but few more$$.

In my experience, condition and maintenance is more important than make.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Good stuff fellas appreciate the input! Spent the day out there hand falling...definitely have some work to do lol

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
One thing I'll say is that whatever you buy, there is a %90 chance that you either never sell it, or replace it with something newer/better. Lots of people go out and buy something like this expecting to sell it after a few years, next thing you know a decade has gone by and you can't imagine not having it.

By far a TLB is the swiss army knife of the construction equipment world. It can do almost anything, but doesn't really excell at any of them either. They are usually the first piece of equipment on a job site and the last to leave for a reason, they are just so versatile. Wanting to tow it with a 3500 limits your size from the case 580's and such. Kubota and Deere seem to dominate the smaller machines, and it is surprising what you can do with a compact tractor. We now have a kubota B3350, which is quite small, but has a front end loader, backhoe, front mount snowblower in the winter and a 3 point hitch when the backhoe is removed. It can be easily loaded up on a flat deck trailer and pulled by a half ton. The LX or L series would from kubota is a bit bigger and should be small enough to pull with a one ton truck.

A mini ex is a great machine for digging and trenching, but not much beyond that. Skid steer tractors are bad for tearing up landscaped areas, even with tracks.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
do you have a good job and make good money? if so i would recommend you stick to that and hire a professional. if not i would just rent a mini when you need it

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
How about some pics of your property and descriptions of your plans.
We'll help you spend your money.
Will have to work on some pics! Might score a decent deal this week for a guy to come in with a 210 and bang out a bunch of prep before the snow settles....clear brush and trees from the building site, dig some test holes, do a big burn, scrape off the rocks, and find out what rock moves/doesn't move. Rather than try to fight digging it, we might end up pinning some footings in to the rock.

Rough plan is to build a detached garage with a suite through next summer....and live in that while we build the main house. OR a small cabin for a rental, and then attached garage to house....gonna sort that one after we see how the initial prep looks. The local rental and Airbnb market is just too good to miss out on, so gotta have a rental suite....but I've been the basement rental route before and want something detached. More because my kids and dog make too much noise...not the renters lol

Premium Features