• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone ever broken a tki belt drive?

800PowerFanatic

Aug 31, 2010
Buffalo, MN
I am seriously considering going with the belt drive on my turbo xm. I have heard lots of good things but it cant hurt to be curious. Do they hold up to everything and anything? jumps and such ? belts hold up ? should i have a spare with ?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The ONLY one I have ever seen go south was on a sled with like 5 miles and the guy who installed it tensioned the belt about 100x to much and it just melted to peices. I mean it was tightened so much it bent the tensioner pulley arm which is NOT a small piece of material!

I have been around a handful on stock to turbo sleds, 154-174 and they have all worked killer. If you keep belt tension set properly ( no more maintinance then chain tension ) I would not even carry a spare belt, change it ever 1500 miles or so if you want the piece of mind, but they are a nice part and really not something to worry about!

Wyorever

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW, WY
Works great on my 880. I carry a spare. Isn't that the point of having a belt drive over the chain drive? If you blow a belt you can just put on a new one versus wrecking a chain case, but if you don't have a spare with you it defeats the purpose.

nomasittinright

Premium Member
Feb 5, 2009
Aberdeen SD
I ran mine for 800 miles this year and the belt still looks new. I never even bought a spare belt I had a spare for my C3 proclimb kit and never need that one either

SledGuru

Lifetime Membership
May 9, 2008
WY 307
Tki on turbo sled with 700 miles ran great. I do have a spare I keep around for the what if.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
I have a TKI on a 925cc big bore cat and haven't had any problems and can deff notice it's quicker to rev. I carry a spare belt in my tunnel bag just in case but after the whole winter of riding it still looks brand new. It will shed some blue pieces when new but that's normal for the belt brake in period.

L

logan1080

Feb 12, 2013
Pay attention to belt wear. 360 miles on my tiki belt I noticed the inside edge was getting worn away. Replaced the tensioner arm hoping that was the problem. We will see next season. Other than that it's been excellent. Check belt tension often during break in.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
900 miles on my Turbo XM running 10 lbs +, belt still has much of the blue break in compound on it. Highly recommend Tom's belt drive!

bmiller1985

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2013
merrimac, wi
i'm running a turbo freeride and i have the tki, i beat the living snot out of it and it's still perfect. i did only get about 300 miles on it, but i wasn't nice to it and the drive belt looks fine. One thing I really liked is when i wanted to try different gear ratios all i had to do is change out the top gear, the bottom stays the same size and you just adjust the top size. The big bonus with that is Tom worked with me very well on the different gears, and changing it out was super easy (the turbo did make it a little harder being in the way but having the stock chain case would have been really time consuming).

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
I have the TKI kit on 2 pro's. One was hillclimbed raced in multiple classes and sprayed with a 50 shot on top of the mod motor. The other was a 660 with a 50 shot of nitrous. TKI's belt drive held up beautifully on both sleds through a variety of abuse, Landing power on, nitrous from a corner exit and off the line, nitrous bottle explosion. I cant kill that belt drive.... :face-icon-small-win

C

Covelli44

Jan 2, 2011
North Aurora, IL
Stock motor on my Etec but I do have the TKI belt drive. Best advice I can give is to call and talk to Tom yourself as he can provide the most advice. I love the belt drive and haven't had one issue. I asked him about an extra belt and he provided me with pros and cons to both, leaving it to me to decide. I do carry one, if for some reason the belt breaks I can change it on the hill and keep riding. If I don't carry one it's more than likely going to be a few days before I can find another one. Good luck!

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
We have installed a number of these kits and have had zero comeback issues. They are simple and just work.

Do you feel the gains are worth the money Paul? Just wondering how much of a noticable difference there is for the price of it. Seems to be mixed reviews on this.

M
Feb 9, 2022
Chicago
Whats up guys im having problems with my belt drive ever 100 miles the belt breaks last time it was 50 and idea im tired of changing belts every day tki belt drive

Premium Features